Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big 10 = BAD!

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Big 10 = BAD!

Here are some expert takes on just how bad the Big 10 is these days.

Scout.com: Experts Disc. ... Is the Big Ten That Bad?

Rookie
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Re: Big 10 = BAD!

What are you talking about? Did you even read it?? Not one of those guys said the big 10 was bad. Some said it was in a down period and the others said its not even close to as bad as many try make it to be.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 300

I think they are referring to the conference being nowhere near what it thinks of itself. And yes, a few writers do think they are pretty bad or at least no where near where they were a few years ago.

Last edited by mj4cy; 07-16-2008 at 01:03 PM.
    @RandomGeoFacts

Rookie
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

There isnt one guy in that article that says the big 10 is bad. Some say its down, but not bad as hinted by the original poster. I definitely think its in a down cycle right now.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Label it how you wish. If the conference is down right now, how is that different from saying that the conference is bad right now?

I skimmed through it, and they seemed to be of the opinion of most around here. Ohio State is very good, the rest is not.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie8 View Post
    There isnt one guy in that article that says the big 10 is bad. Some say its down, but not bad as hinted by the original poster. I definitely think its in a down cycle right now.
    You are right. This guy didn't say the word "BAD".

Stewart Mandel: There's no question the Big Ten is in the throes of a down period. I was just looking at some numbers the other day -- 14-22 in bowl games over the past five years. Wow. It's not surprising when you think about it. The middle of that conference -- Penn State, Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, etc. -- simply aren't that good. However, I'm not one to automatically pin Ohio State with these blanket generalizations everyone likes to make about the Big Ten. Ohio State has as much talent top to bottom as any team in the country. They'll probably have more players drafted next spring than even USC. But their conference definitely hurts them -- they don't get tested on a weekly basis.
    PS, are you a lawyer? Oh wait, I forgot a Hawk fan. My bad.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is an interesting question:

10. Ten years from now, how will college football be different than it is now?

Dennis Dodd: There will be some kind of postseason adjustment. -- playoff or plus one.

Fiu: Within the next ten years, the security screening process to get into a stadium will be tougher than getting on an airplane thanks to some Seung-Hui Cho nutbag going off at some American sporting event, but I don’t want to be a complete buzzkill here.

On the field, by 2017, the haves will have given the official boot to the have-nots, and college football will become, for good and/or bad, more professional looking. You want a playoff, huh? You’ll get one, but you might not like what you’ll have to sacrifice to get it (my article on this will be up in a few weeks).

With the Big Ten Network almost underway, and the SEC Network almost certain to follow, the big leagues are only going to get bigger. Eventually, the BCS conferences are going to realize there’s hundreds of millions to be made by banding together and forming a super division of college football with six conferences of 14 teams, and with an eight team playoff to finish up the year. Sound crazy? Think back ten years ago, or just a little bit more, and the Big 12 Conference didn’t exist, the ACC was still a minor league football conference, at least compared to the SEC and the Big Ten, Penn State, Miami and Florida State were independents, and conference championships were just getting underway. Things have changed wildly, and quickly, over the last decade, and they’re only going to get crazier.

Joe Schad: Hopefully we'll have our four-team playoff

Stewart Mandel: The postseason format will almost certainly be different, though probably not yet a full-fledged playoff. There will have been at least one new conference realignment movement, most likely involving some of the major Big 12 programs. And some new offensive craze will have come along and supplanted the shotgun-spread.

Richard Cirminiello: Like baseball, college football is rooted in its traditions, so don’t expect any extreme makeovers between now and 2017. A decade from now, however, there will be some form of a playoff involving four, or maybe as many as eight teams. There’s just too much pressure and potential television revenue at stake for changes not to take place when the current BCS contract expires. Also, expect to see another round of conference realignments, as the Pac-10 and Big Ten look to get to 12 teams, the Big East tries to maintain its automatic berth, and the smaller leagues attempt to pick up the pieces in the aftermath. The technology for instant replay will be incredibly advanced, but officials will still take a maddeningly long time to make what looks to be the obvious call. Oh, and for the first time since the Nixon administration, Penn State will have a new head coach…probably.

Teddy Greenstein: Nick Saban, who will have left Alabama to return to LSU only to go to Auburn, will make $12 million a year. I'm sure we'll also have even more accurate instant replay, so Oklahoma President David Boren won't be able to cry about an "outrageous injustice" if his team doesn't get the call on a close onside-kick play.

I think I agree in that there will be some huge conference realignments, probably within a couple years (in either direction) of the BCS contract expiring.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 370
    Given: 317

We don't know if the Big 10 is bad because they haven't played a single game.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I guess I don't understand why anyone cares about how bad the Big 10 is.

Aren't we still playing in the Big XII or did we secretly join the Big 10 so they would have 12 teams?

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Indyclone View Post
    I guess I don't understand why anyone cares about how bad the Big 10 is.

Aren't we still playing in the Big XII or did we secretly join the Big 10 so they would have 12 teams?
    GREAT! Now everybody knows....

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    I think I agree in that there will be some huge conference realignments, probably within a couple years (in either direction) of the BCS contract expiring.
    120 teams in I-A is way too many.

Drop it down to 96 -- eight conferences with 12 teams each. Each league with two divisions of six teams, each league plays a title game. The eight winners make the 3-round playoff. All other teams with winning records (7-5 minimum) go to the "bowl pool" for selection.

First-round games will be played at the home field of the higher seed. Seeds determined using normal RPI-style index, counting opponent's win % and opponent's opponent's win %.

The semifinals and championship will be held at the following 3 sites: Miami (Orange), Phoenix (Fiesta), New Orleans (Sugar). The championship site will be on a standard three-year rotation. [Note: The Rose Bowl didn't want anything to do with the BCS, so they don't get to participate in this system. Let them take the #2 teams from the Big Ten and Pac-10 every season. Screw 'em.]

For the 2008 season, the schedule would look like:
    Dec. 6 - conference championships
    Dec. 13 or 20 - first round (depending on school's final exam schedules)
    Jan. 1 - semifinals
    [Jan. 7 - third-place game in Dallas (Cotton)???]
    Jan. 8 - championship

Compare that to 2007, when the championship game was on Jan. 7.

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Teddy Greenstein: Nick Saban, who will have left Alabama to return to LSU only to go to Auburn, will make $12 million a year. I'm sure we'll also have even more accurate instant replay, so Oklahoma President David Boren won't be able to cry about an "outrageous injustice" if his team doesn't get the call on a close onside-kick play.
    Someone needs to tell Teddy that the onside-kick play at Oregon wasn't very close as the OK guy recovered it and brought the ball out of the pile.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    Label it how you wish. If the conference is down right now, how is that different from saying that the conference is bad right now?

I skimmed through it, and they seemed to be of the opinion of most around here. Ohio State is very good, the rest is not.
    One could even question this. OSU beats up on the rest of the conference, which is down in the opinion of most, and then OSU gets spanked in the BCS. So can anybody say for sure if they are very good? They are better than the rest of the big 10, and they are a lot worse than the nations elite teams. Where they fall in that range is kind of hard to tell.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 300

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie8 View Post

You might want to read it again. There is definitely language in the article that would allude to the big 10 being bad. Maybe the direct wording isn't used, but it's in the context.

@RandomGeoFacts

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 903
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    One could even question this. OSU beats up on the rest of the conference, which is down in the opinion of most, and then OSU gets spanked in the BCS. So can anybody say for sure if they are very good? They are better than the rest of the big 10, and they are a lot worse than the nations elite teams. Where they fall in that range is kind of hard to tell.
    Are you going to tell me that Oklahoma is a bad team based on this argument? I don't think I would say that and I doubt others would either.

tOSU is a national power