Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 15,269, Level: 37
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    927
    Points
    15,269
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Question about your boss?

    Does anybody have a boss that is quick to point out your mistakes, but never fesses up about there own mistakes? That happened to me today, and I know for a fact that she makes 3 or 4 mistakes a day. I have been at my job less then two years, and never had a complaint that I know of from customer's. My boss has been with our company for twelve years, and I have had customer's that complain about her, but I use to stick up for her.

    I wish I could just walk out but I have a family to support, and with today's economy it is just not that easy.





  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 447,493, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,315
    Points
    447,493
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 7

    Re: Question about your boss?

    Stab her in the back and take her job!


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 37,735, Level: 59
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,359
    Points
    37,735
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

    Re: Question about your boss?

    nope mine is awesome. good ole cyclone. (bob if youre reading this, i will take that spot bonus in $20s)


    Husker Hater

  4. #4
    Walk On
    Points: 5,407, Level: 21
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    clone61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    192
    Points
    5,407
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about your boss?

    Indeed I do, and if you dare point out or prove my boss is in the wrong, watch out, thats the last time youll do it, while you wont loose your job, youll get the 15 min answer that only takes 5 seconds to solve


    Every time I learn something new, something old gets pushed out of my brain







  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 40,775, Level: 62
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 875
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    HandSanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bondurant, IA
    Posts
    3,540
    Points
    40,775
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about your boss?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfreddy View Post
    Does anybody have a boss that is quick to point out your mistakes, but never fesses up about there own mistakes? That happened to me today, and I know for a fact that she makes 3 or 4 mistakes a day. I have been at my job less then two years, and never had a complaint that I know of from customer's. My boss has been with our company for twelve years, and I have had customer's that complain about her, but I use to stick up for her.

    I wish I could just walk out but I have a family to support, and with today's economy it is just not that easy.




    Couldn't have said this line better myself.....



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 845,927, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    53,679
    Points
    845,927
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 502

    Re: Question about your boss?

    Thanks for all the wonderful memories this question brings back?

    Yes, I've had a looootttt of bosses this way. It's really sad to watch.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 15,269, Level: 37
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    927
    Points
    15,269
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about your boss?

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Stab her in the back and take her job!
    That is probably what she is worried about ! Don't think I would want it, allot of politics going on at a small company.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 81,388, Level: 88
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Posts
    8,423
    Points
    81,388
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about your boss?

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Stab her in the back and take her job!
    With a letter opener!

    I have a great boss though, very cool guy, I've known him my whole life.


    It's Bushbama!

    2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

    Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 97,791, Level: 97
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,259
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tejasclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,783
    Points
    97,791
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 17

    Re: Question about your boss?

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Stab her in the back and take her job!
    It's easier if you find 15 of your closest buddies and all stab her at once.




  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 12,404, Level: 33
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Psyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    669
    Points
    12,404
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about your boss?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfreddy View Post
    Does anybody have a boss that is quick to point out your mistakes, but never fesses up about there own mistakes? That happened to me today, and I know for a fact that she makes 3 or 4 mistakes a day. I have been at my job less then two years, and never had a complaint that I know of from customer's. My boss has been with our company for twelve years, and I have had customer's that complain about her, but I use to stick up for her.

    I wish I could just walk out but I have a family to support, and with today's economy it is just not that easy.


    Purge those thoughts. It's her job to make you perform better and that includes acknowledging your mistakes. A good manager would also reward you with praise for what you do right, but some just don't know how to motivate people. The fact that she makes more mistakes that you is immaterial. She's the boss. Maybe someday you will be in her shoes but not if your attitude holds you back.

    If she is truly a poor boss and there is not hope of moving to a new position in your company, maybe it is time to start looking. But just remember you are always better off to keep a positive attitude. Nobody is perfect and some are far from it. But don't let the poor ones spoil your attitude. Keep a good attitude and things usually work out. At the very least your work will be more enjoyable.



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 14,824, Level: 36
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    jtaconutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    With your mom
    Posts
    492
    Points
    14,824
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about your boss?

    Oh, you don't like your job?
    Did you know there is a group you can join for that? It's called everybody.
    They even have a place to meet on a weekly basis, it's called the bar.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,553, Level: 78
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonesrule91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waukee
    Posts
    4,917
    Points
    64,553
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

    Re: Question about your boss?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    If she is truly a poor boss and there is not hope of moving to a new position in your company, maybe it is time to start looking. But just remember you are always better off to keep a positive attitude. Nobody is perfect and some are far from it. But don't let the poor ones spoil your attitude. Keep a good attitude and things usually work out. At the very least your work will be more enjoyable.
    Very well said....Your attitude can make or break your job. Your boss is the boss for a reason and is trying to point out flaws to help you improve your performance. Remember to take the criticism and use it to do a better job. NEVER, and I mean NEVER take the criticism personally because no decent boss leads that way. If your boss is attacking you personally then find another job, but in almost all cases that is not the intent. You going into it and determined to keep a positive attitude will not only help you enjoy your job and take the butt chewing for what it is and nothing more, but it will also make you happier at home because if you are not happy at work then that attitude follows you home no matter how well you say you seperate work and home life.

    I have a great relationship with the boss I have now, but I have been in situations very similar to what I get out of your post and looking at it now, I made it worse by either dwelling on why I knew more then my boss and could do a better job then him/her or taking criticism personally. I have also been a boss who got on people pretty hard when I had to tell them the same crap over and over and their attitude gets sour and there have been instances where there attitude got them fired or close to it.

    Long story shortened up...go to your job with the intentions of staying positive and going over and beyond what is expected of you. The right people will notice and you might be your bosses boss in the future, or if he/she is as bad as you are feeling right now maybe you will be their replacement.

    Good luck.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 32,778, Level: 55
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    4VR4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    3,468
    Points
    32,778
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about your boss?

    One of the crappiest things that happens is when you LOVE your boss, he gets promoted and then they hire a DB to take his place.


    Last edited by 4VR4CY; 07-16-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about your boss?

    You know, I have three sets of bosses, on a rotating basis. They all tend to make mistakes; which they don't feel compelled to point out, and they all point out my mistakes. Which, is their job.

    What I've done, is to make myself extremely valuable. That way, if one of my bosses ticks me off, I very subtly withdraw my support from their project, in such a way that I cannot be fired, or even counselled on it.

    That is the way I make it so my boss(es) cannot jerk me around.


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  15. #15
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about your boss?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfreddy View Post
    Does anybody have a boss that is quick to point out your mistakes, but never fesses up about there own mistakes? That happened to me today, and I know for a fact that she makes 3 or 4 mistakes a day. I have been at my job less then two years, and never had a complaint that I know of from customer's. My boss has been with our company for twelve years, and I have had customer's that complain about her, but I use to stick up for her.

    I wish I could just walk out but I have a family to support, and with today's economy it is just not that easy.


    My current boss makes mistakes, sometimes acknowledges them. Frankly, his rule of thumb is that if you believe in Jesus, you get a discount. He got the job as manager because his uncle recommended him when he quit the job. He doesn't listen to us "Full Time" folk about who should be fired because of confrontation. We have easily 5 workers that should be fired for unsatisfactory work, but won't becauise they would raise a stink about it. The Store owner feels the same way. It's frustrating, to say the least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    Purge those thoughts. It's her job to make you perform better and that includes acknowledging your mistakes. A good manager would also reward you with praise for what you do right, but some just don't know how to motivate people. The fact that she makes more mistakes that you is immaterial. She's the boss. Maybe someday you will be in her shoes but not if your attitude holds you back.

    If she is truly a poor boss and there is not hope of moving to a new position in your company, maybe it is time to start looking. But just remember you are always better off to keep a positive attitude. Nobody is perfect and some are far from it. But don't let the poor ones spoil your attitude. Keep a good attitude and things usually work out. At the very least your work will be more enjoyable.
    This all depends on what type of job you hold. My current boss only got his job because of family. He is VERY bad at it, and he continually badmouths our (read: FT/PT worker ideas) to our face. We try and think of ways to get people into the store, and he plays the "I know better than you" card as he hires employees that sleep on the job and won't fire them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    You know, I have three sets of bosses, on a rotating basis. They all tend to make mistakes; which they don't feel compelled to point out, and they all point out my mistakes. Which, is their job.

    What I've done, is to make myself extremely valuable. That way, if one of my bosses ticks me off, I very subtly withdraw my support from their project, in such a way that I cannot be fired, or even counselled on it.

    That is the way I make it so my boss(es) cannot jerk me around.
    The problem evolves from the "boss'" POV that you are always wrong because you are 'lower' than them. Not that they are the boss. My new boss, I greatly respect because she appreciates my ideas and strategies. My current boss I hate because he says my ideas are not 'good enough' to get customers in the door.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM