Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Question about your boss?

Does anybody have a boss that is quick to point out your mistakes, but never fesses up about there own mistakes? That happened to me today, and I know for a fact that she makes 3 or 4 mistakes a day. I have been at my job less then two years, and never had a complaint that I know of from customer's. My boss has been with our company for twelve years, and I have had customer's that complain about her, but I use to stick up for her.

I wish I could just walk out but I have a family to support, and with today's economy it is just not that easy.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 7

Re: Question about your boss?

Stab her in the back and take her job!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

nope mine is awesome. good ole cyclone. (bob if youre reading this, i will take that spot bonus in $20s)

Husker Hater

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Indeed I do, and if you dare point out or prove my boss is in the wrong, watch out, thats the last time youll do it, while you wont loose your job, youll get the 15 min answer that only takes 5 seconds to solve

Every time I learn something new, something old gets pushed out of my brain

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 875
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Quote Originally Posted by cyfreddy View Post
    Does anybody have a boss that is quick to point out your mistakes, but never fesses up about there own mistakes? That happened to me today, and I know for a fact that she makes 3 or 4 mistakes a day. I have been at my job less then two years, and never had a complaint that I know of from customer's. My boss has been with our company for twelve years, and I have had customer's that complain about her, but I use to stick up for her.

I wish I could just walk out but I have a family to support, and with today's economy it is just not that easy.

Couldn't have said this line better myself.....

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 502

Thanks for all the wonderful memories this question brings back?

Yes, I've had a looootttt of bosses this way. It's really sad to watch.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Starter
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    That is probably what she is worried about ! Don't think I would want it, allot of politics going on at a small company.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

With a letter opener!

I have a great boss though, very cool guy, I've known him my whole life.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,259
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 17

It's easier if you find 15 of your closest buddies and all stab her at once.

Starter
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Purge those thoughts. It's her job to make you perform better and that includes acknowledging your mistakes. A good manager would also reward you with praise for what you do right, but some just don't know how to motivate people. The fact that she makes more mistakes that you is immaterial. She's the boss. Maybe someday you will be in her shoes but not if your attitude holds you back.

If she is truly a poor boss and there is not hope of moving to a new position in your company, maybe it is time to start looking. But just remember you are always better off to keep a positive attitude. Nobody is perfect and some are far from it. But don't let the poor ones spoil your attitude. Keep a good attitude and things usually work out. At the very least your work will be more enjoyable.

Rookie
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh, you don't like your job?
    Did you know there is a group you can join for that? It's called everybody.
    They even have a place to meet on a weekly basis, it's called the bar.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    If she is truly a poor boss and there is not hope of moving to a new position in your company, maybe it is time to start looking. But just remember you are always better off to keep a positive attitude. Nobody is perfect and some are far from it. But don't let the poor ones spoil your attitude. Keep a good attitude and things usually work out. At the very least your work will be more enjoyable.
    Very well said....Your attitude can make or break your job. Your boss is the boss for a reason and is trying to point out flaws to help you improve your performance. Remember to take the criticism and use it to do a better job. NEVER, and I mean NEVER take the criticism personally because no decent boss leads that way. If your boss is attacking you personally then find another job, but in almost all cases that is not the intent. You going into it and determined to keep a positive attitude will not only help you enjoy your job and take the butt chewing for what it is and nothing more, but it will also make you happier at home because if you are not happy at work then that attitude follows you home no matter how well you say you seperate work and home life.

I have a great relationship with the boss I have now, but I have been in situations very similar to what I get out of your post and looking at it now, I made it worse by either dwelling on why I knew more then my boss and could do a better job then him/her or taking criticism personally. I have also been a boss who got on people pretty hard when I had to tell them the same crap over and over and their attitude gets sour and there have been instances where there attitude got them fired or close to it.

Long story shortened up...go to your job with the intentions of staying positive and going over and beyond what is expected of you. The right people will notice and you might be your bosses boss in the future, or if he/she is as bad as you are feeling right now maybe you will be their replacement.

Good luck.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

One of the crappiest things that happens is when you LOVE your boss, he gets promoted and then they hire a DB to take his place.

Last edited by 4VR4CY; 07-16-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

You know, I have three sets of bosses, on a rotating basis. They all tend to make mistakes; which they don't feel compelled to point out, and they all point out my mistakes. Which, is their job.

What I've done, is to make myself extremely valuable. That way, if one of my bosses ticks me off, I very subtly withdraw my support from their project, in such a way that I cannot be fired, or even counselled on it.

That is the way I make it so my boss(es) cannot jerk me around.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

My current boss makes mistakes, sometimes acknowledges them. Frankly, his rule of thumb is that if you believe in Jesus, you get a discount. He got the job as manager because his uncle recommended him when he quit the job. He doesn't listen to us "Full Time" folk about who should be fired because of confrontation. We have easily 5 workers that should be fired for unsatisfactory work, but won't becauise they would raise a stink about it. The Store owner feels the same way. It's frustrating, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    Purge those thoughts. It's her job to make you perform better and that includes acknowledging your mistakes. A good manager would also reward you with praise for what you do right, but some just don't know how to motivate people. The fact that she makes more mistakes that you is immaterial. She's the boss. Maybe someday you will be in her shoes but not if your attitude holds you back.

This all depends on what type of job you hold. My current boss only got his job because of family. He is VERY bad at it, and he continually badmouths our (read: FT/PT worker ideas) to our face. We try and think of ways to get people into the store, and he plays the "I know better than you" card as he hires employees that sleep on the job and won't fire them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    You know, I have three sets of bosses, on a rotating basis. They all tend to make mistakes; which they don't feel compelled to point out, and they all point out my mistakes. Which, is their job.

What I've done, is to make myself extremely valuable. That way, if one of my bosses ticks me off, I very subtly withdraw my support from their project, in such a way that I cannot be fired, or even counselled on it.

That is the way I make it so my boss(es) cannot jerk me around.
    The problem evolves from the "boss'" POV that you are always wrong because you are 'lower' than them. Not that they are the boss. My new boss, I greatly respect because she appreciates my ideas and strategies. My current boss I hate because he says my ideas are not 'good enough' to get customers in the door.

"Seven minutes to glory."