Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

JVB and the Cap City league

I thought I put a post on here about the Cap City league but somehow must have screwed it up. But anyway, made it down for the semi's and finals on Sunday. The one guy I was pleasntly suprised by was JVB. I expected him to be standing outside and chucking up 3's. While he did make some long bombs he spent a lot of time working with Ben Jacobson(former UNI not their coach) on pick and rolls and slip screens. He moves very nicely around the basket. (reminds me a little bit of Vroman in the paint but not nearly the rebounder) He was definately the best big man there on Sunday. Another thing that was nice to see was in the second half he defended Drake guard Adam Templeman(transfer who will replace Emanecker-sp) and slowed him down. Templeman was torching JVB's team from the perimeter in the firts half but had trouble getting any shots off in the second. I think we are really going to like JVB's versatility.

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Re: JVB and the Cap City league

Quote Originally Posted by JDDCy View Post
    I thought I put a post on here about the Cap City league but somehow must have screwed it up. But anyway, made it down for the semi's and finals on Sunday. The one guy I was pleasntly suprised by was JVB. I expected him to be standing outside and chucking up 3's. While he did make some long bombs he spent a lot of time working with Ben Jacobson(former UNI not their coach) on pick and rolls and slip screens. He moves very nicely around the basket. (reminds me a little bit of Vroman in the paint but not nearly the rebounder) He was definately the best big man there on Sunday. Another thing that was nice to see was in the second half he defended Drake guard Adam Templeman(transfer who will replace Emanecker-sp) and slowed him down. Templeman was torching JVB's team from the perimeter in the firts half but had trouble getting any shots off in the second. I think we are really going to like JVB's versatility.
    Agree on all accounts, but I don't think he is very good around basket yet. He never did well with his back to the basket unless Barz was guarding him. Barz is so weak that he was able to just push him out of the way and lay it in. He definitely needs to get better down low but he brings a lot of other positives to the table

Prospect
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JDDCy View Post
    Another thing that was nice to see was in the second half he defended Drake guard Adam Templeman(transfer who will replace Emanecker-sp) and slowed him down. Templeman was torching JVB's team from the perimeter in the firts half but had trouble getting any shots off in the second. I think we are really going to like JVB's versatility.
    I hate to burst that bubble, but Vanderbeken was the guy that Templeton was absolutely torching in the first half. Templeton even dribbled it through Vanderbeken's legs one time. (and Templeton is a forward, so won't be replacing Emmenecker). My impression of Vanderbeken was that he was very versatile offensively, but very weak defensively, especially on the interior.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

DU, how has Templeton looked this summer? I know the last staff couldn't wait to get him on the floor...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    DU, how has Templeton looked this summer? I know the last staff couldn't wait to get him on the floor...
    I think he was Drake's best player in the summer league (Young and Cox didn't play). I knew he came in with a reputation as a great shooter, and he didn't disappoint me there. What was a pleasant surprise was that he wasn't a one-dimensional player. He showed a good post-up game and good toughness, too. Can even put it on the floor and create a little. He'll create a lot of match-up problems. Put a big guy on him, and he'll have a field day from the 3-point line....put a smaller guy on him, and he'll post up.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DUBulldog View Post
    I hate to burst that bubble, but Vanderbeken was the guy that Templeton was absolutely torching in the first half. Templeton even dribbled it through Vanderbeken's legs one time. (and Templeton is a forward, so won't be replacing Emmenecker). My impression of Vanderbeken was that he was very versatile offensively, but very weak defensively, especially on the interior.
    Templeton did torch JVB in the first half. Mainly b/c he was hitting 3's from about 5 feet behind the line, which than opened up the lane for him to drive. When his shot was off in the second half, he struggled to drive by JVB b/c he didn't have to jump out on him so much. Templeton still won the battle though

Also don't make it sound like Templeton dribbled it through JVB's legs and it worked. B/c it didn't. He tried and dribbled it off the inside of his leg, he got the ball back but it really was an ugly play. You could tell that Templeton was feeling pretty good about his game and was trying to show JVB up a little. All in all Templeton is a good player who has a very awkward looking shot.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

I was told last year to imagine Korver, now someone stroger, faster, more consistant of a shooter, and much better defensive player. He should he a great addition to that team.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I was told last year to imagine Korver, now someone stroger, faster, more consistant of a shooter, and much better defensive player. He should he a great addition to that team.
    Sounds pretty dead on to me. Except he won't be a more consistant shooter than Korver. Not good enough form to be consistent.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Also don't make it sound like Templeton dribbled it through JVB's legs and it worked. B/c it didn't. He tried and dribbled it off the inside of his leg, he got the ball back but it really was an ugly play. You could tell that Templeton was feeling pretty good about his game and was trying to show JVB up a little.
    You got me there.....it was very ugly....and it wasn't smooth. I guess my point was that he was abusing JVB so badly at that point that he felt confident in busting out that play, even though he's not known as a ballhandler.

Templeton finished the game 8-11 from 3-pt land, so it's not like he suddenly went stone cold....for whatever reason, his teammates stopped getting him the ball.

Last edited by DUBulldog; 07-15-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Sounds pretty dead on to me. Except he won't be a more consistant shooter than Korver. Not good enough form to be consistent.
    Disagree with you there. Nobody was more inconsistent than Korver was. Percentage-wise, Templeton is a better 3-point shooter on his career than Korver was. (Templeton around 40%, Korver in the mid-low 30's). But.....I have no idea what kind of defenses Templeton was up against in the Big West Conference.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

So do you think JVB will be at least as good a finisher as Hubalek? I hope so as I thought Jiri was terribly inconsistent. Jiri has decent footwork but no vertical lift and not the best touch around the basket.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    So do you think JVB will be at least as good a finisher as Hubalek? I hope so as I thought Jiri was terribly inconsistent. Jiri has decent footwork but no vertical lift and not the best touch around the basket.
    I think JVB has better touch than Jiri had. But he also doesn't have great vertical lift and his footwork needs to to improve. I wasn't sure if was footwork that was his problem or his balance. He kept looking like he was going to fall over when he got the ball downlow.

Rookie
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 709
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 38

To say Templeton is good in the post is a reach. The only move I've seen him do the entire summer league was a right handed hook shot, and the only times he ever scored down low was when he was guarded by a much smaller player. Templeton is simply not going to score in the post in college. To me, he is a spot up three point shooter, which isn't a bad thing because he clearly has range.

And to say he "abused" Vanderbeken is a bit of an overstatement. He hit a bunch of deep threes, but that was about it.

Last edited by isutrevman; 07-15-2008 at 11:38 AM.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DUBulldog View Post
    Disagree with you there. Nobody was more inconsistent than Korver was. Percentage-wise, Templeton is a better 3-point shooter on his career than Korver was. (Templeton around 40%, Korver in the mid-low 30's). But.....I have no idea what kind of defenses Templeton was up against in the Big West Conference.
    Korver was a dumb 3 point shooter. His average would have been much higher if he would have figured out a 30 footer for 3 counts for the same amount of points as one from right behind the line.

To me, and this is just my opinion, I think Templeton shoots a lot like Haluska. They both have an awkward jump shot in which they jump forward quite a bit. I think that will make it much harder for Templeton to get his jump shot off during the season. He is not going to be bringing the ball up and shooting 30 footers in a big mans face during the season. He will play the Cox role and I think he needs to improve his form or he is going to have trouble getting open looks

Rookie
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

I must have been watching a different game because I didn't remember JVB on Templeton on all of his 3's. I was a little late so maybe he knocked down his first 3 or 4 against him early in the game. I thought they were changing up on who guarded him and settled on JVB in the second half. What I saw in the second half was a 6-10 guy that seemed to be able to cover a 6-5 perimeter guy. If he was getting burned that much it shows that he must be able to adjust his game to what the opponent is doing.

I agree that JVB struggled with his back to the basket but as I stated in the original thread he looked decent on pick and roll type plays. If he forces the defense to adjust to try to stop him from rolling to the hoop he can be just as deadly popping out for the 3 after the pick.