Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 72

Let's be realistic for a minute

There are a lot of folks out there blasting JP for forcing Mac out, so lets take a look at this year and next year:

2006: this team is butt ugly bad. The 3-7 record is way worse than it looks. ISU barely won the three easiest games on the schedule and was not even close on the seven losses. I personally will be stunned if the Clones don't get hammered by CU and MU. Yes, the team is that bad. If they do win it will be the greatest emotional victory since winning one for the Gipper.

2007: Who is gone; top 2 DL, top DB, 5 OL (not very good, but Mac contends they are the best we have), top TE, top FB, top RB, top kick return and punt return guys. Who is back; a bunch of guys that were not getting things done offensively or defensively under the current coaches. Mckenzie and Bowen are a good story, but they are not going to get it done alone. The bottom line is that without some changes in the coaching staff, 2006 might be a good year. ( I realize that the Clones could get beat up pretty bad next year without a change, but it looks like ISU has little to loose here)

I like Mac, and always have. He is a hard working, honest, honorable, caring man, but JP has to have a good FB program to make the whole athletic department work. It came down to either removing several asst. coaches and Mac starting over again or getting a new HC and staff. Mac's loyalty to his coaches made the first alternative invalid.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 93

Re: Let's be realistic for a minute

8-26 is over the last 34 conference games is the stat that means the most to me.

Compare that to Baylor, and they're only 1 game behind us over that time span, and KU is 2 games better than us in that time span. Completely unnacceptable. And remember, this spans more than a third of McCarney's overall tenure, and supposedly "the glory years".

Sucks watching McCarney leave. But in the long run, I truly believe that this is what is best for the ISU Athletic Department.

Starter
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Being realistic on this board won't get you popular but atleast your being honest. Everything you said CyClones is true. Next year Blythe and Meyer are coming back. Granted they haven't done much this year but hopefully next year they'll rebound and do what they were expected to do this year. Also Sumrall, Moses, and Hamilton will be back. Should be a good group of receivers, if Meyer gets to stand up long enough to get a pass off. Only 1 O-line member returning next year so things could get ugly unless ISU gets a couple good JUCO players. The RB job will be Scales to lose IF he stays healthy. That is a big IF. Maybe the new coach will bring in a JUCO to compete for the job but I don't see the running game improving for a couple years at best, hopefully i'm wrong. On the defensive side of things losing Curvey and Moorehead will hurt, but hopefully Parker and somebody else can step up so they won't be missed as bad. The LB core should be the same which is great! They'll be that much better with Carper coming back next year too. Should be fun to watch them run around and make plays. The D-Backs will be experienced. They may not be good but they will be experienced which will hopefully help contain some team. The kicking game shouldn't be worse than this year since both kickers are returning next year. If EVERYTHING goes our way next year the Cyclones COULD make a bowl game. That is a big if though. Talk is cheap but a person can dream right?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 72

[QUOTE=ISUAlum2002;39062]8-26 is over the last 34 conference games is the stat that means the most to me.

This just reinforces the fact that ISU made it to those bowl games by winning most of the non-conference teams. With the exception of the Hawks, the non-conference games consist of playing D-1AA and mid-majors at the Jack. Even several of these games were dog fights. In addition this period of games also coincides with some of the worse Big 12 season ever. KSU, NU, KU, BU, MU, A$M and OSU all had turns being terrible in this span.

I don't mean to slame Mac and what he has done, but the way everyone in the media wants to make him Bear Bryant doesn't fly with me.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

[quote=CyCloned;39081]
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    8-26 is over the last 34 conference games is the stat that means the most to me.

This just reinforces the fact that ISU made it to those bowl games by winning most of the non-conference teams. With the exception of the Hawks, the non-conference games consist of playing D-1AA and mid-majors at the Jack. Even several of these games were dog fights. In addition this period of games also coincides with some of the worse Big 12 season ever. KSU, NU, KU, BU, MU, A$M and OSU all had turns being terrible in this span.

I don't mean to slame Mac and what he has done, but the way everyone in the media wants to make him Bear Bryant doesn't fly with me.
    SSSSHHHHHHH Dan doesn't want a hiring committee at any school to know that, even if it's true.

And Dan isn't Bear Bryant??? Wow reading all of these posts, I almost became outraged. How could we lose a guy that has won so many championships??? What were we thinking.......Oh yeah that's right.

Jeffrey A Crawford

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

What chaps my hairy white @$$ is the fact that every ******* from here to Topeka is telling us that this is as good as it gets. It can NEVER get better than this, no matter what happens.

Bull$hit.

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by zdorr40 View Post
    What chaps my hairy white @$$ is the fact that every ******* from here to Topeka is telling us that this is as good as it gets. It can NEVER get better than this, no matter what happens.

Bull$hit.
    I'm with you on this. Also, there are some nice balms that can help with the chapping...though they don't always work on the source.

P.S. Tulsa fan? Just curious about the Kragthorpe avatar.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYTIME View Post
    I'm with you on this. Also, there are some nice balms that can help with the chapping...though they don't always work on the source.

P.S. Tulsa fan? Just curious about the Kragthorpe avatar.
    ISU alum. IMO Steve Kragthorpe would be the best guy for the job. Either him or Chizik would make me really happy. Not sold on Brewster or Harbaugh whatsoever.

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I think he'd be a great pick also. Did I hear he turned down NC?

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYTIME View Post
    I think he'd be a great pick also. Did I hear he turned down NC?
    That's the rumor. I really doubt he's a candidate at this point. I don't think his name is even being mentioned anymore, which is a shame. He doesn't get the pub he deserves for what he's doing down there at Tulsa.

Before Kragthorpe: 1-10
    Year 1: 8-5
    Year 2: 4-8 (2 ot losses)
    Year 3: C-USA champions
    Year 4: 7-2 thus far, I believe.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

There's a whole lot of realism here so I'll add my 2 cents. I don't think that Dan would have resigned if the future held any optimism, such as an above average or better recruiting class. For whatever reason-- bad assistants or just plain bad luck--our recruiting has been dismal except for a couple of big names. It reminds me a little of Eustachy's time when we win 2 conference championships and then can't recruit anybody. The last two years we almost win the North Division outright and then don't seem to have any recruiting to show for it. How does that happen?

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonefarmer View Post
    There's a whole lot of realism here so I'll add my 2 cents. I don't think that Dan would have resigned if the future held any optimism, such as an above average or better recruiting class. For whatever reason-- bad assistants or just plain bad luck--our recruiting has been dismal except for a couple of big names. It reminds me a little of Eustachy's time when we win 2 conference championships and then can't recruit anybody. The last two years we almost win the North Division outright and then don't seem to have any recruiting to show for it. How does that happen?
    That's a really good question. Clearly the cupboard is going to be bare for whatever guy we get. Perhaps that is the fascination with Brewster, who could alledgedly recruit Michael Moore to the Republican Party.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonefarmer View Post
    It is a question that I have asked multiple times. I didn't understand how after 12 years that you would have to completely rebuild a unit. And then you look at next year and they have to rebuild the other side of the ball.

I mean I know that we are just Iowa State and this is the best we could ever hope for, but that is absolutely inexcusable.

This was another question that I had. I understood why most schools shied away from Dan when there were openings, but Wisconsin???

Alvarez is supposedly going to take Mac to Miami, the turn the reins over to Mac after a while, that is what people are saying. But why didn't Barry even consider Dan for the Wisconsin job??? And we all know that Dan campaigned for it.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by zdorr40 View Post

Bull$hit.
    Agree, agree, agree, agree. It pi$$es me off, too. The only reason people throw that crap out there is to keep Iowa State down. I won't argue turning things around will be tough...it will. But it can happen. It WILL happen. I'm with JP all the way. If we aren't willing to make some moves and go out on a limb a little bit, let's just pack it in and go D-III.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! - Bluto, Animal House