Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Took in some Cap City League this weekend

I was there on Friday night.

Diante Garrett looks like a different ballplayer...more confident, unafraid off of the dribble, hitting some step backs and jab step J's. Boozer really impressed me...with both his shooting touch from beyond the arc and his athleticism.

Buckley was sort of quiet, he didn't stand out, but its summer league. Brackins seemed a bit too in love with the outside in the first half, but showed deft touch with both his right and his left in the second half in the paint.

Alex Thompson continues to be an enigma to me. For his entire career, he has looked like a very, very good player in practice settings, summer league games....but for some reason, when the lights turn on, he is just not the same player. It's probably expecting too much for him to change that pattern.

I didn't get to see everyone, and in summer leagues, the guards dictate everything and its not representative of all of the progress a player can make. But I did like what I saw from the guard court. Point guard play will still spell a big portion of next year's story, even more so without Wesley. Wish Lucca would have been there to see him....Harrison Barnes was not there, either.

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Took in some Cap City League this weekend

Interesting... Just curious, how many games did Barnes play in? I remember people talking about him only once....

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Where/when is the next game? Where can I find the schedule? I haven't been to a game yet, but it could be nice to get a little bball fix in the middle of the summer.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 348

They are done now.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

Diante Garrett looks like a different ballplayer...more confident, unafraid off of the dribble, hitting some step backs and jab step J's. Boozer really impressed me...with both his shooting touch from beyond the arc and his athleticism.

Buckley was sort of quiet, he didn't stand out, but its summer league. Brackins seemed a bit too in love with the outside in the first half, but showed deft touch with both his right and his left in the second half in the paint.

Alex Thompson continues to be an enigma to me. For his entire career, he has looked like a very, very good player in practice settings, summer league games....but for some reason, when the lights turn on, he is just not the same player. It's probably expecting too much for him to change that pattern.

I didn't get to see everyone, and in summer leagues, the guards dictate everything and its not representative of all of the progress a player can make. But I did like what I saw from the guard court. Point guard play will still spell a big portion of next year's story, even more so without Wesley. Wish Lucca would have been there to see him....Harrison Barnes was not there, either.

I have watched them play a number of times this summer and I've kept a close eye on Buckley. He is the old-time prototypical point guard (i.e., he looks to find ways for this teammates to score first, and he looks to score himself second). Unfortuantely, he was forced to spend most of his minutes in the Cap City League at the 2-guard spot because Drake's veteran point guard played the 1-spot. I think that's the main reason he didn't stand out much.

The few times when Buckley got to run the point, you could see how well he sees the court and is always looking to push the ball. He's very strong - has a Big XII body already - and very unselfish. I'm sure our coaches will give him an opportunity to run the point in the early season games.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Interesting... Just curious, how many games did Barnes play in? I remember people talking about him only once....
    Barnes spent a lot of his time this summer on the AAU and camp circuit...and it was time well spent, considering his meteoric rise up the rankings.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,725
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

I was there Wednesday night and I also thought Craig was too in love with the 3. Why is it that players that can so obviously dominent inside insist that their talent is on the perimeter?

Recruit
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    I was there Wednesday night and I also thought Craig was too in love with the 3. Why is it that players that can so obviously dominent inside insist that their talent is on the perimeter?
    Chicks dig the long ball...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 348

Almost every big guy I've ever played with wanted to handle the ball more and shoot from deeper than he was capable of.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

AT is frustrating because many of us have seen him do well in these non-pressure kinds of games then when it counts he is like a deer in the headlights at times. I thought his defense was great last season but on offense it is frustrating to watch him sometimes have an agressive move to the basket only to biff the bunny shot or something. He's 6-10 250 so not like he is lacking in size. A couple summers ago him and Jiri were guarding each other in this summer league and AT completely dominated Jiri on both ends of the court in that game and out-hustled him for every board and loose ball.

Brackins is going to have to cut down on the 3 point attempts this season because he is going to have to be that go-to inside presence in the paint without Jiri. He has the build to really be something special but if all he has is the same post moves he had last year teams are going to figure him out just like they did as the season went on and you'd see him go 4-14 shooting and such. He needs to be that player you can throw the ball into the paint and convert around 50% on from 10 feet in. I doubt he shoots 50% from the field because of his 3's but take out the 3's and I would hope he's close to 50% once he gets a good mix of post moves down.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Another thing you don't get when your big guys are in love with the three, is your big guy doesn't get the opponent in foul trouble, and he doesnt get to the line for free throws.

You have to have those things in a physical league like the Big 12.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

You also don't have the oppenents big guys down there to rebound, or more importantly, to help on the dribble drive.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

One of the most interesting things I heard a game last year was I think it was possibly Mike Smith's mom or some to relation to him said something to coach Rutter like: "you should tell Brackins he needs to eat some more and get in the weight room, that kid could use some meat on him!" Can't remember what he said back to her but I think it was something in acknoledgement that they knew Craig needs put some work in.

Like Jon said though, you can have some big guys but they actually need to play like a big guy and not be in love with the 3 so much. Once Jiri finally started playing like a center you notice how not only did his fouls go down but he was drawing a lot more from his opponents.

Look at Jiri's FTA to 3PTA by year:
    05-06: 55 to 46
    06-07: 79 to 25
    07-08: 142 to 43

The last year is kind of an abnormality to my reasoning but I think he picked his 3's a little more carefully as his 3pt% from his first to last season went .239, .280, and .349. And just watching him play we all know under Morgan he tended to shy away from contact in the paint and just chuck up 3's, under Mac he had some monster games in the paint and frustrated quite a few teams that couldn't stop him.

After that Ohio State game in Mac's first year where Cory Johnson played the bulk of the minutes against Greg Oden I thought Jiri was going to be glued to the pine but to his credit he bought into what Mac needed him to do and I think we can all say that he was a MUCH more productive player when he played in the paint and picked his spots for 3's within the offense instead of always looking for a chance to fire up a 3. Hopefully Craig learns that as well and follows the example Jiri set. I still think that big game Craig had against Baylor where he hit all those 3's was the worst thing to happen to him because after that game it seemed like he was looking for that shot more and forcing too many attempts. At the beginning of the season when he was sticking to working the post he was at his best I thought but it was also against lesser competition.

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,725
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    One of the most interesting things I heard a game last year was I think it was possibly Mike Smith's mom or some to relation to him said something to coach Rutter like: "you should tell Brackins he needs to eat some more and get in the weight room, that kid could use some meat on him!" Can't remember what he said back to her but I think it was something in acknoledgement that they knew Craig needs put some work in.
    No doubt they realize that. The players even realize it.....on Wednesday night, Haluska was talking to Wes E's parents (?) and even said they just need to put some weight on him.....I am assuming referring to Wes.

I am not so bothered that Craig feels the need to throw up 3's in a summer league game. But I would hope he will realize that he is needed on the inside during the season. We don't need a whole new Jiri type lesson.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

When the season gets here; Brackin's touches(a lot of them) will be in the paint.