Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3

Got a look at Jack Trice improvements. Observations:

I passed through Ames this weekend and stopped in at The Jack. Since the gate was open I enjoyed a self-guided tour of the west side. A few observations:

1. The first thing that struck me is that a good chunk of the NW and SW grass areas may no longer be available for seating. Apparently the new suites have limited the access to the lower level seating so a walkway was built at the top of each hill to allow people to get to these sections. There is also a retaining wall below the walkway. I would estimate that about 30-40% of the available grass area is removed if people are not able to sit/stand on the sidewalk and the area behind it.

2. The bathrooms look great. What a tremendous upgrade over the previous facilities.

3. The ends of the new concession stands are built with light colored block. But the back has a dark gray facade that is not block or concrete. If you have seen this do you like it? Or do you think it would be better to have built the whole thing with the same block as the ends?

4. The most important observation is that the chain link fence surrounding the stadium is in terrible shape. It's badly rusted and looks even more bush league than when it was new. This fence has to go. I've said for a long time that it should be replaced with a black wrought iron fence to match Reiman Gardens. That would be a huge improvement over the chain link and would look great with the trees that line the perimeter of the stadium.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Re: Got a look at Jack Trice improvements. Observations:

IIRC, Phase 2 of the renovations calls for a new fence all the way around the stadium. I agree--a much need improvement!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by clonehome View Post
    I passed through Ames this weekend and stopped in at The Jack. Since the gate was open I enjoyed a self-guided tour of the west side. A few observations:

1. The first thing that struck me is that a good chunk of the NW and SW grass areas may no longer be available for seating. Apparently the new suites have limited the access to the lower level seating so a walkway was built at the top of each hill to allow people to get to these sections. There is also a retaining wall below the walkway. I would estimate that about 30-40% of the available grass area is removed if people are not able to sit/stand on the sidewalk and the area behind it.

2. The bathrooms look great. What a tremendous upgrade over the previous facilities.

3. The ends of the new concession stands are built with light colored block. But the back has a dark gray facade that is not block or concrete. If you have seen this do you like it? Or do you think it would be better to have built the whole thing with the same block as the ends?

4. The most important observation is that the chain link fence surrounding the stadium is in terrible shape. It's badly rusted and looks even more bush league than when it was new. This fence has to go. I've said for a long time that it should be replaced with a black wrought iron fence to match Reiman Gardens. That would be a huge improvement over the chain link and would look great with the trees that line the perimeter of the stadium.
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce a lead donor for Phase II.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

I've been working there the last few days and I'll take my camera and take some pictures of things I seen wrong/cheap (i.e. carpet squares instead of one piece of carpet, bad bows in countertops, poor concrete work)

It looks like they left the asphalt about 1.5-2 inches below finish grade of slab, and I believe this is to do a decorative concrete overlay. They now have all the walkways paved up to the concourse and just friday afternoon they started reattaching the stair ways to the upper level.

Another thing I had noticed that I haven't heard anyone mention is that they got rid of all the old railings on the upper deck and around the stair wells and they brought in all new steel railing as the old railings were rusted and looked like crap. they also have been doing a lot of sand blasting around the stair entrances on the upper deck...I don't know if this is to get down to bare concrete to what it looked like they are painting them...maybe some anti-slip being put down on the stairs.

Like I said, I'll take pictures of the things I see and also we have finished putting seats in 4 suites thus far and have gotten all standards placed in the southern suites. Will place backs and seats in the next few days and then will move on to the north west suites of which should only take a week or so.

The operable windows are awesome and the field looks great

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    ...maybe some anti-slip being put down on the stairs.
    Is anti-slip that ugly light blue stuff that is everywhere now like around the east side of the Memorial Union? I hope they don't drop that stuff.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    Is anti-slip that ugly light blue stuff that is everywhere now like around the east side of the Memorial Union? I hope they don't drop that stuff.
    You mean like those rubber pads with the little rubber balls that look like they are popping out of them? those things are slippery as hell during winter months....but what I am talking about is almost like a gritty sand and so it makes the surface almost sand-paper like so you get very good traction...ill take a walk over there tomorrow and see what it is.

Rookie
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    It looks like they left the asphalt about 1.5-2 inches below finish grade of slab, and I believe this is to do a decorative concrete overlay.
    If the asphalt is only 1.5-2 inches below finished grade, that usually means they will wait until everything is done to put down the last asphalt overlay. This is cause there are probably a lot of things driving around right now that could tear up the asphalt.

They also might do brick pavers, but I don't recall that being part of the plan. 1.5-2 inches wouldn't be enough for a concrete layer, it would crack too much.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone2011 View Post
    IIRC, Phase 2 of the renovations calls for a new fence all the way around the stadium. I agree--a much need improvement!
    I thought that was going to be done in Phase 1.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104

No sense in replacing the fence until everything inside it has been finished.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ia8manfan View Post
    If the asphalt is only 1.5-2 inches below finished grade, that usually means they will wait until everything is done to put down the last asphalt overlay. This is cause there are probably a lot of things driving around right now that could tear up the asphalt.

They also might do brick pavers, but I don't recall that being part of the plan. 1.5-2 inches wouldn't be enough for a concrete layer, it would crack too much.
    Take a look at the drawings, they have yellow bricks over most of the west concourse. I can't find them, but I know we are going to have a yellow brick road.