Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
  1. #1
    Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    AIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    2,743
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City

    Why is a church giving away a gun in the first place?



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,101, Level: 68
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 649
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CyclonesRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,662
    Points
    49,101
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    yeah, I think it would be a conflict of interest to be giving away guns



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 118,993, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,767
    Points
    118,993
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    Is there anything inherently evil or un-religious about a gun? No.

    Is it a little out of the ordinary for a church to give away a firearm? Probably.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 26,010, Level: 49
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ornryactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    26,010
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    I've bolded the crazy parts.

    OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma church canceled a controversial gun giveaway for teenagers at a weekend youth conference.

    Windsor Hills Baptist had planned to give away a semiautomatic assault rifle until one of the event's organizers was unable to attend.

    The church’s youth pastor, Bob Ross, said it’s a way of trying to encourage young people to attend the event. The church expected hundreds of teenagers from as far away as Canada.

    "We have 21 hours of preaching and teaching throughout the week,” Ross said. A video on the church Web site shows the shooting competition from last year’s conference. A gun giveaway was part of the event last year. This year, organizers included it in their marketing.

    “I don’t want people thinking ‘My goodness, we’re putting a weapon in the hand of somebody that doesn’t respect it who are then going to go out and kill,'” said Ross. “That’s not at all what we’re trying to do.”

    Ross said the conference isn’t all about guns, but rather about teens finding faith.

    “You make a lot of new friends down here,” said Vikki Goncharenko, who attended the conference. “You get to meet new people. There's a bunch of things that are going on. It's just, you have a wonderful time.”

    Friday evening, Ross said the gun giveaway had been canceled. Pastor emeritus Jim Vineyard, who ran the event, injured his foot and wouldn’t be able to attend. The gun giveaway was also removed from the church Web site.

    Ross said the church would give the gun away next year instead. He said the church spent $800 buying the gun for the promotion.
    BUH! An assault rifle?! Okay, I could maybe see a hunting rifle, if it's a community and congregation where sport hunting is extremely common, but seriously. Who decided to give away a military-grade weapon? No wonder kids are coming from Canada to get it...


    True and Valiant

    I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

    God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 81,388, Level: 88
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Posts
    8,423
    Points
    81,388
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    Is it a little out of the ordinary for a church to give away a firearm? Probably.
    Probably? What the hell kind of church do you go to?


    It's Bushbama!

    2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

    Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 118,993, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,767
    Points
    118,993
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    I own an AR-15 and use it for coyote hunting. There are also multiple shooting competitions that utilize that rifle as well.

    "Assault Rifle" is a term that the uninformed use to describe something they know little or nothing about, yet still find the need to provide commentary on.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 26,010, Level: 49
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ornryactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    26,010
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    I own an AR-15 and use it for coyote hunting. There are also multiple shooting competitions that utilize that rifle as well.

    "Assault Rifle" is a term that the uninformed use to describe something they know little or nothing about, yet still find the need to provide commentary on.
    If you want to bash someone, go ahead and have the balls to call them out.

    Just so I'm clear, what you're saying is that I'm overreacting to an improperly-used term, and it's actually totally okay for a church to be giving away a firearm to teenagers? I just went and read about assault rifles to further educate myself, because I was possibly uninformed. I read nothing that indicated I was wrong in assuming that assault rifles are military-grade weapons that serve absolutely no constructive purpose in civilian life, nor did I read anything that convinced me it was proper for civilians to own one.

    Shooting competitions? Fine. Trained professionals and semi-professionals want to do those, and they are competent adults that know how to properly handle a deadly weapon. I question the necessity of an automatic weapon to go coyote (or anything else) hunting. If people can kill much larger and faster animals with single-shot hunting weapons, why do you need that much firepower to kill something the size of a large dog? And if you don't even need one for that, then a teenager definitely has no business whatsoever being given a weapon of that power, regardless of who's doing the "donating".


    True and Valiant

    I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

    God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 118,993, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,767
    Points
    118,993
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    If you want to bash someone, go ahead and have the balls to call them out.

    Just so I'm clear, what you're saying is that I'm overreacting to an improperly-used term, and it's actually totally okay for a church to be giving away a firearm to teenagers? I just went and read about assault rifles to further educate myself, because I was possibly uninformed. I read nothing that indicated I was wrong in assuming that assault rifles are military-grade weapons that serve absolutely no constructive purpose in civilian life, nor did I read anything that convinced me it was proper for civilians to own one.

    Shooting competitions? Fine. Trained professionals and semi-professionals want to do those, and they are competent adults that know how to properly handle a deadly weapon. I question the necessity of an automatic weapon to go coyote (or anything else) hunting. If people can kill much larger and faster animals with single-shot hunting weapons, why do you need that much firepower to kill something the size of a large dog? And if you don't even need one for that, then a teenager definitely has no business whatsoever being given a weapon of that power, regardless of who's doing the "donating".
    An AR-15 is neither automatic or military grade. Automatic weapons are illegal.

    I am going to assume that you have never fired a weapon in your life. Your knowledge is based on what you have read on the internet. That is fine. I am not sure why it offends you so much that I have simply stated the truth in my ealier post. You have little or no knowledge on the subject of firearms. I have little or no knowledge on many things, and therefore I make it point not to debate those issues as I have no frame of reference.

    To further educate you, after the hunting safety course is taken a person 12 years or older can legally hunt with a guardian. So a teen ager would be not only legally able to hunt, but also participate in the myriad shooting sports that are available. People who hunt or shoot are not wild crazy criminals.

    Additonal thought: You are not legally able to own or obtain firearems until you are 18 years of age. Therefore the firearm in question would be given to the parents of said teenager in all likelyhood. Of course, all of these facts don't make for an exciting story for us to talk about on a message board.


    Last edited by HILLCYD; 07-12-2008 at 09:40 PM.

  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,369, Level: 63
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    scyclonekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,969
    Points
    42,369
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 2

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    Well the church dodged a bullet there huh? What hell? more of a reason I do not attend church often.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 165,121, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,629
    Points
    165,121
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    I grew up in church (literally) and I'm a proud gun owner, but I can't imagine why any church would do this. I agree with ornryactor that if this was a hunting gun in a sport hunting area it would be one thing, but an assault rifle in Oklahoma city? Someone wasn't thinking. For that money, why didn't they get a Xbox or PS3 or something?



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I grew up in church (literally) and I'm a proud gun owner, but I can't imagine why any church would do this. I agree with ornryactor that if this was a hunting gun in a sport hunting area it would be one thing, but an assault rifle in Oklahoma city? Someone wasn't thinking. For that money, why didn't they get a Xbox or PS3 or something?
    Yeah, with an Xbox or PS3, you could slaughter people, or rape and kill a hooker, so you don't have to pay her.

    That would be much better.

    I think getting an AR15 at a church raffle would be cool.

    No such thing as a "semi-automatic assault rifle". It's a misnomer designed by people who hate the constitution to get the ignorant to get riled up over the fact that law abiding citizens can and should own guns.


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  12. #12
    Walk On
    Points: 8,406, Level: 27
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    sheldon
    Posts
    145
    Points
    8,406
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Yeah, with an Xbox or PS3, you could slaughter people, or rape and kill a hooker, so you don't have to pay her.

    That would be much better.

    I think getting an AR15 at a church raffle would be cool.

    No such thing as a "semi-automatic assault rifle". It's a misnomer designed by people who hate the constitution to get the ignorant to get riled up over the fact that law abiding citizens can and should own guns.
    I don't disagree really with anything you say, but please don't fall
    into the lefts trap and overly offend those that by the left and the
    media's design, don't know as much about this issue as some of
    us.
    The left would MUCH rather divide us, as opposed to seeing
    gunowners take the time to fully illustrate the issue, and heaven
    forbid maybe even educate the very ones they are purposely misleading.

    The fact remains tho, that there is no such thing as a "semi auto assault weapon"
    The term is a complete and utter falasy.

    AND, fully auto weapons (at least an operable one) are not legal, as far as I
    know by ANY civilian, even as a collector.


    Last edited by moo-u; 07-13-2008 at 08:47 AM.

  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 10,649, Level: 31
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Juggercy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    941
    Points
    10,649
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    they should just advertise handing out some porn lol




  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 475,735, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    18,665
    Points
    475,735
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 5

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by moo-u View Post
    I don't disagree really with anything you say, but please don't fall
    into the lefts trap and overly offend those that by the left and the
    media's design, don't know as much about this issue as some of
    us.
    The left would MUCH rather divide us, as opposed to seeing
    gunowners take the time to fully illustrate the issue, and heaven
    forbid maybe even educate the very ones they are purposely misleading.

    The fact remains tho, that there is no such thing as a "semi auto assault weapon"
    The term is a complete and utter falasy.

    AND, fully auto weapons (at least an operable one) are not legal, as far as I
    know by ANY civilian, even as a collector.

    Oh no kids! Evil liberals are out to get you! Thats right, they lurk in the night tempting you with such promises as responsible foreign policy and government that helps the people. These of course are all part of their evil plan for world domination which of course will come to fruition when Barack Obama wins President and reveals himself to be the evil inter-galactic Lord Xenu who will then sell all of humanity to the Galgamecs from planet Arbtron where we will be fetish-sex slaves for eternity! Watch out kids, because the left is coming and they want to kill you! All they've ever done is pull this country out of the worst economic depression in history and create social programs that have helped millions of Americans get up on their feet and do something, and guide us into the greatest prosperity this country ever saw. Watch out kids because the left is coming! The left is coming....


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 143,439, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,521
    Points
    143,439
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 44

    Re: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Yeah, with an Xbox or PS3, you could slaughter people, or rape and kill a hooker, so you don't have to pay her.

    You still have to pay the hooker for services. But after that you can get your money back



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM