Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

ISU update

I thought some of you, who live far away from Ames, would like an update on what is happening around campus.

First, there were some concerns about the Athletic dept. turning Hilton into a gymnasium. I've been told that the Athletic dept has no such intentions. In fact, the Athletic dept is handling the Styx concert for Ragbrai and they are in the process of booking their first concert for the inside of Hilton. I've also heard that the Athletic dept is moving their ticket office to the Hilton ticket office and that the Osborn tix office will only be open on game days.

Jack Trice is moving right along. They have repaved most of the concourse and appear to be nearing completion.

The new Alumni Center, which has been interfearing with some of our tailgating over the past 2 years, is almost completed and should be done by the start of football. In fact, the Alumni Association has already started moving into the building. Because of the construction of the Alumni Center, Alumni Hall will be renamed to Enrollment Services Center.

ISU has installed a new warning system through out campus. There are five: one at Beyer, Forker, UV, VetMed, and Jack Trice. Should come in handy next time our mascot shows up at a game.

Industrial Education 1 has now been torn down and they are preparing the site for the construction of Hach Hall. Pammel Drive is closed between Gilman and the Armory, but is supposed be reopened by the start of school.

Vet Med has added on a huge addition. Except for some minor work here and there, Vet Med is practically done and they are planing on having it open this August. We had one of the best VetMed colleges in nation before- just imagine.

Other construction projects.
    The Hub has been undergoing some major rebuilding and should be completed by this fall semester. When completed, it should have more food options and bathrooms. The Seed Science addition is almost completed and is already open. The Coover addition is completed. The Design Pavilion is moving right along, but has a long way to go. The Marching Band field (you may know it as the place where they had Veishea this year) has been moved north of the Armory in preparation for a new bio-renewable building between Design and Howe.

Last edited by jaretac; 07-13-2008 at 01:05 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: ISU update

cool - thanks for the update

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27

Great Info...
    So getting back to the concert thing...Do concerts help the Athletic budget? Or does that money even go to that? I guess the time you have staff etc...it might be a wash? I was wondering if they could grow the budge by 1% by having a couple concerts. Who knows.
    Good to hear about the vet school.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think the Athletic dept even knows how the concerts are going to help/hurt. SMG has not be forthcoming with information to help the Athletic dept get settled and the overall transition has not been well managed. Give you an example, the pay schedules that the Athletic dept has put together for part time employees is way off. With the current pay schedules, traffic attendants will make as much as $2/hour less then minimum wage. This is obviously a mistake, but it shows how out of touch they are. I will say one thing about the Athletic dept, they have a vision of what they what to see happen at Hilton and I don't think anything will stop them from trying to improve things at Hilton.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the update. We recently drove through Ames on our way from Cedar Rapids to Bellevue, NE and we were amazed at the changes. For us, the new stuff around the engineering building, Sweeney, and Friley Hall is all new. We were also wondering about the building going up in the athletic area and now I assume that's the Alumni Center.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

In terms of budget I would think that the AD taking over hilton should up raise it a bit. Not saying that there will be additional profit to be had but the overall budget will increase because of it.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

There are five ISUAlert towers: at Beyer, Forker, Vet Med, Jack Trice, and SUV.

Just a quick note about the Hub: when it's done, we'll have a full-size Caribou Coffee there. It's going to be the first franchise on a college campus owned and operated by the university. (Kansas State opened a shop in this past fall, but KSU doesn't own or run it.) They'll also have the sandwich shop that has been there for a while now, and a full grill inside. (Remember the huge portable grill they used to have sit outside during warm months, but had to be gone in the winter? Now when it gets cold, they can keep grilling inside.)

Construction has been a HUGE mess: it was supposed to be open in February, then the contract with Starbucks fell through, then it was supposed to be open in May, then July, and now it's mid-August, which looks like it will actually happen.

Last edited by ornryactor; 07-12-2008 at 04:27 PM.
    True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 976
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 13

Thanks for the updates. I'm going to be in Des Moines next week and might have to try to make it up to Ames to see all the changes!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    ...Just a quick note about the Hub: when it's done, we'll have a full-size Caribou Coffee there...
    I LOVE Caribou Coffee and was happy when I heard about this--except for the fact that I'm never on campus. And it doesn't help that you can't really drive to the Hub because the only way in is via Osborne which is blocked off on weekdays. And even if you could drive there, there's no place to park. They need to open a Caribou somewhere else in Ames. I'd go there at least once or twice a week. Better than crappy Starbucks.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dustinal View Post
    I LOVE Caribou Coffee and was happy when I heard about this--except for the fact that I'm never on campus. And it doesn't help that you can't really drive to the Hub because the only way in is via Osborne which is blocked off on weekdays. And even if you could drive there, there's no place to park. They need to open a Caribou somewhere else in Ames. I'd go there at least once or twice a week. Better than crappy Starbucks.
    During the summer Osborne is open 24/7. They don't even have the gates out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks a lot for the info. Those of us who live over 3 hours away like to hear the news.

Walk On
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Another project that is just starting is the renovation and addition to the maple-willow-larch commons dinning center. This will bring more of a food court dining experience, similar to the UDCC. Once it is done students wont have to go across campus to UDCC to have better food options.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I also forgot to mention the Snedecor hall renovations. The Statistical department has moved down to Wilson hall (part of Towers) while Snedecor is being renovated. They are completely tearing everything out of the inside and rebuilding. Not supposed to be completed until fall of 2009.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by natedog View Post
    Another project that is just starting is the renovation and addition to the maple-willow-larch commons dinning center. This will bring more of a food court dining experience, similar to the UDCC. Once it is done students wont have to go across campus to UDCC to have better food options.
    Yeah, this is huge. MWL dining closed in May, will remain closed for construction through all of the coming school year, and will reopen in August 2009. The ground-level dining hall will be gutted and completely redone from the ground up, and the upper levels of the Commons will receive some modifications as well. The biggest change there will be the construction of a much larger C-store, to be called the East Side Market. (The West Side Market already exists in the UDCC.) The dining hall will be called The Seasons; it'll have a vague naturey, tree-like feel inside. It's pretty nice. A few major differences from the UDM will be custom-smoked meats, hard-packed ice cream from an as-yet-secret Iowa company, and a rotating international menu (as opposed to the UDM's daily staple of "Chinese" food, tacos, and made-to-order quesadillas).

While MWL is closed, Linden's dining hall will be open, and Oak-Elm will remain open as normal. (Linden will be weekday service, and OE moves to 7-day.) Once MWL reopens, Linden will stay open, and OE will close for the 2009-2010 school year for its own massive renovation. They're putting in a big in-house bakery and huge dessert shoppe area, among other things, but retaining the style and atmosphere of the hall, since students like it so well. (The long tables aren't getting replaced with lots of small tables, like in UDM and MWL.) When it reopens in August 2010, Linden will presumably close again. (However, if enrollment at ISU keeps skyrocketing the way it has been, they may well decide to keep Linden open.)

Helser and Oak-Elm are getting totally remodeled this summer, and the northern third of Friley is getting brand-new flooring. Friley is also in the first phase of adding fire safety systems; that project will take until 2011 to complete (heat/smoke/CO detection, sprinkler system, building-wide intercom).

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 3

The Alumni building looks great!! Very classy facility. I helped put the furniture in the building and helped install all the cubicals. I am pretty sure that they were going to move in sometime this week if next week.