Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 54

Volleyball marks up watershed recruiting class

At cyclones.com a story reports that ISU's incoming volleyball recruiting class is ranked 25th in the nation, the program's first-ever top 30 class. Great job, CJ!

JP's original practice facility concept was to house mbb, wbb, and vb. Now, vb is without a "home" of its own in the wake of yesterday's basketball practice facility announcement. As an ISU fan, I'm concerned that the volleyball program might not be able to continue its upward progress without its own practice facility. And, we want to keep CJ, don't we?

Anyone here know of any solutions for this facility problem? I wonder if something is on the drawing board, maybe converting existing space somewhere into a cool vb practice facility.

So much to do. . . .

Last edited by CyValley; 07-11-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: was going to alter the subject-header, but I see that can't be done . . . right?

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,420
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Re: Volleyball marks up watershed recruiting class

Great news for ISU VB! I like going to a few volleyball matches throughout the season, they are fun.

The sad truth is, volleyball and other smaller sports are not going to get everything they need before larger sports (Football, Basketball) get what they want/need. Of course we'd like to see ALL ISU sports succeed and be champions. But the truth is, we'd rather see football, and men's/women's basketball succeed first and more often. It's just because of $$ and the number of interested spectators. It's sad but true, there is a pecking order in college sports (actually all sports).

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

The best bet would be the volleyball coaches moving into the old mens basketball offices and using Hilton for their practice court more often than not (not sure of the feasibility with scheduling). The good news is that Iowa State will have two brand new gyms that I would think volleyball could use some and all courts on campus will be freed up slightly.

When all is said and done, more is said than done

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    . . . The sad truth is, volleyball and other smaller sports are not going to get everything they need before larger sports (Football, Basketball) get what they want/need.
    Generally, this is the case, I agree with you. But, I wonder if the other sports will not receive some attention along the way; IOW, can't "afford" to ignore them all together while pursuing the key major building improvements, can we?

I wonder if a volleyball practice venue cannot be created without breaking the bank or setting back other major program projects. Particularly if existing space can be found for a vb practice facility. Maybe even something stop-gap (but nice!) while another facility is in the works down the road?

JP's stated goal is to get ISU first into the top 50 (iirc) of the annual Director's Cup competition. Can't do that by letting the other sports slip.

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,420
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    Generally, this is the case, I agree with you. But, I wonder if the other sports will not receive some attention along the way; IOW, can't "afford" to ignore them all together while pursuing the key major building improvements, can we?

I wonder if a volleyball practice venue cannot be created without breaking the bank or setting back other major program projects. Particularly if existing space can be found for a vb practice facility. Maybe even something stop-gap (but nice!) while another facility is in the works down the road?

JP's stated goal is to get ISU first into the top 50 (iirc) of the annual Director's Cup competition. Can't do that by letting the other sports slip.
    Good point. And I agree that I don't think JP is forgetting about the other sports at all, he is better than that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 43

Doesn't v-ball have Forker?

Starter
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 15

There is no bank to break without Football and Men's Basketball. They are the only 2 programs that bring in more than they spend. This is true at every other school too. So the best thing for, Volleyball, Wrestling, Swimming, and even the prospects for bringing baseball back is to win at Football and Men's Basketball.

Winning produces fans in the stands, but more importantly TV appearances. The Omaha World Herald had an article this week about TV revenue for the Big XII FB. The difference between Texas and us was something like 3 mil per year. Close that gap and it won't take long to build a VB practice facility.

Any rational thought about this should be that it is good for the VB (or insert any other name) program, instead of whining about not getting something.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Doesn't v-ball have Forker?
    Gotta admit, I don't know what vb's current practice situation is. I see that I'm assuming, since it was part of the original practice facility concept, that it does not have its own space over which it has complete control.

Then, there's gymnastics. We lost a fine coach to OU because of poor facilities, supposedly. . . .

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by becrisgreg View Post
    There is no bank to break without Football and Men's Basketball. They are the only 2 programs that bring in more than they spend. This is true at every other school too. So the best thing for, Volleyball, Wrestling, Swimming, and even the prospects for bringing baseball back is to win at Football and Men's Basketball.

Winning produces fans in the stands, but more importantly TV appearances. The Omaha World Herald had an article this week about TV revenue for the Big XII FB. The difference between Texas and us was something like 3 mil per year. Close that gap and it won't take long to build a VB practice facility.

Any rational thought about this should be that it is good for the VB (or insert any other name) program, instead of whining about not getting something.
    I mean to say this politely, but we're all aware of this.

My supposition is that we shouldn't ignore the other programs while simultaneously improving the major sports. What coach, and what student-athlete, would want to come to ISU under those conditions to lead and compete in the Olympic sports?

Are we going to abandon the minors? If so, let's drop 'em, then. Are we going to work to have a well-rounded, representative intercollegiate athletics department? If so, we can't ignore the other sports.

A fork in the road. If we want a full program, we must work at improving the lot of the Olympic sports as best we can. My question is, can we do something now to help vb?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 43

How about we throw this out there, whose to say VB needs its own facility? BB I believe used to practice sometimes in Forker, and with them having their own facility, maybe VB has what they need right there.

Incidentally, KJ was the best coach we had next to Cael, and OU gave her everything she wanted.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Forker is decent....but go in there when they open practice Aug. 12....needless to say it is uncomfortably hot.

A new practice facility combined with the coaching staff we have in place could have taken us into the top-10 annually. Heck we still might get there anyhow.

According to the same publication that put these rankings out, CJ and staff will sign a top-50 setter next year and a top-80 middle blocker. Things look up for the program.

Starter
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    . My question is, can we do something now to help vb?
    Yes. Help Football and Men's Basketball.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Buy tickets. Bring lots of friends. Show up. Be loud.

Prove to the administration that volleyball deserves some love. The volleyball turnaround at ISU is equivalent to, and arguably greater than, what BF has done with WBB.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 34

I don't think anyone here would argue the point that we'd love to have brand new and exclusive facilities for all of our sports. It would be an awesome showcase for the University. The reality is we don't have that kind of money to be floating around to be doing that sort of thing. I think, as it stands right now. JP isn't trying to ignore any of the other sports as much as build a solid foundation with those sports that do generate solid income for the AD. Once the income generators get established, it should be a windfall for the other sports. Actually, the best thing that could happen to volleyball is if in 4 or 5 years, our FB and BB programs are rolling strong and the money starts to come in, all of their needs have already been addressed. Then Volleyball or any of the other sports on campus could see a lot of improvement.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 295

Someone mentioned in another thread that the College of Design is moving their underclassmen out of the Armory. How 'bout we also move the ROTC program and DTS out of there as well, remodel the **** out of it, and have an outstanding "classic-looking" fieldhouse for the volleyball and wrestling programs (among others)?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.