Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: ISU on TV

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 25,470, Level: 48
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,953
    Points
    25,470
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 12

    ISU on TV

    Watched an episode of Simon & Simon last night as I was trying to wind down after a particularly long day. My wife and I were very suprised to hear ISU mentioned, even though it was irrelevant to the "plot" (it wasn't a very good episode) and was only in passing.

    The blonde character (AJ?) came into the scene dressed in totally 80s neon beachwear ready for a day at the beach playing volleyball. His brother calls him out as having ulterior motives (women) as you would wear "an Iowa State sweatshirt and cutoffs to play volleyball at the beach".

    Totally irrelevant but hey, it's July and there's nothing else to talk about. Anybody else know of ISU references in t.v. or movies (there was a whole thread on the mystery science 3000 scene)?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 98,487, Level: 97
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tejasclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,802
    Points
    98,487
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 32

    Re: ISU on TV

    Was watching House Hunters the other night and they featured a young couple in Altoona, and the guy had an ISU blanket on his bed.

    Since I live in Texas and was viewing this national program, I started jumping off the treadmill and was all excited. My fiance, who is an Iowa alum, gives me a thumbs down and makes a fart noise. But I was excited.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 119,303, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,767
    Points
    119,303
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU on TV

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    gives me a thumbs down and makes a fart noise
    That pretty much describes the most interesting conversation I have ever had with a Hogeye fan.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 25,470, Level: 48
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,953
    Points
    25,470
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 12

    Re: ISU on TV

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    Was watching House Hunters the other night and they featured a young couple in Altoona, and the guy had an ISU blanket on his bed.

    Since I live in Texas and was viewing this national program, I started jumping off the treadmill and was all excited. My fiance, who is an Iowa alum, gives me a thumbs down and makes a fart noise. But I was excited.
    For many, many, reasons I am very glad to have married an ISU alum. I don't know if I could handle living with an UI fan, kudos to you. (Of course I'm kidding! There are some wonderful Iowa City alums out there.)



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 90,752, Level: 93
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,149
    Points
    90,752
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 38

    Re: ISU on TV

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    Was watching House Hunters the other night and they featured a young couple in Altoona, and the guy had an ISU blanket on his bed.

    Since I live in Texas and was viewing this national program, I started jumping off the treadmill and was all excited. My fiance, who is an Iowa alum, gives me a thumbs down and makes a fart noise. But I was excited.

    That's hot.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 85,495, Level: 90
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    superdorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,948
    Points
    85,495
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU on TV

    Quote Originally Posted by sunset View Post
    Watched an episode of Simon & Simon last night as I was trying to wind down after a particularly long day. My wife and I were very suprised to hear ISU mentioned, even though it was irrelevant to the "plot" (it wasn't a very good episode) and was only in passing.

    The blonde character (AJ?) came into the scene dressed in totally 80s neon beachwear ready for a day at the beach playing volleyball. His brother calls him out as having ulterior motives (women) as you would wear "an Iowa State sweatshirt and cutoffs to play volleyball at the beach".

    Totally irrelevant but hey, it's July and there's nothing else to talk about. Anybody else know of ISU references in t.v. or movies (there was a whole thread on the mystery science 3000 scene)?
    Wow... Simon and Simon and "wasn't a very good episode"
    I never thought I would hear those phrases in the same sentence.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 25,470, Level: 48
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,953
    Points
    25,470
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 12

    Re: ISU on TV

    Quote Originally Posted by superdorf View Post
    Wow... Simon and Simon and "wasn't a very good episode"
    I never thought I would hear those phrases in the same sentence.
    It's a rarity. I really enjoy that series. This episode had the main character from "V" as a guest star. Talk about overacting, this guy was horrible. And they had him in some lame love-interest plot with the female police leutenant that came on board after "Downtown Brown" left.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 185,253, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,315
    Points
    185,253
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 256

    Re: ISU on TV

    In one of the Back to the Future movies as Biff drives down the road it announces scores of football that day.

    Something on the lines of

    Iowa State pounded by Oklahoma 60-3.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 90,752, Level: 93
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,149
    Points
    90,752
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 38

    Re: ISU on TV

    Quote Originally Posted by sunset View Post

    Totally irrelevant but hey, it's July and there's nothing else to talk about. Anybody else know of ISU references in t.v. or movies (there was a whole thread on the mystery science 3000 scene)?

    Does my "Girls of the Big 12" issue count?



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,581, Level: 68
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    SuperCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Smallville/Metropolis
    Posts
    3,880
    Points
    49,581
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU on TV

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    In one of the Back to the Future movies as Biff drives down the road it announces scores of football that day.

    Something on the lines of

    Iowa State pounded by Oklahoma 60-3.

    I was thinking it was the other way around.



    What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,141, Level: 73
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,627
    Points
    56,141
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 46

    Re: ISU on TV

    Quote Originally Posted by sunset View Post
    It's a rarity. I really enjoy that series. This episode had the main character from "V" as a guest star. Talk about overacting, this guy was horrible. And they had him in some lame love-interest plot with the female police leutenant that came on board after "Downtown Brown" left.
    The Beastmaster.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 25,470, Level: 48
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,953
    Points
    25,470
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 12

    Re: ISU on TV

    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    The Beastmaster.
    Man, I completely forgot about that movie. My mom loved it.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 145,470, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,705
    Points
    145,470
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

    Re: ISU on TV

    On Nationals games, Joel has Don Sutton referring to Iowa as the 'Cyclone State' whenever he pitches. He has made sure to correct every reporter that interviews him and mentions 'hawkeye state' as well.



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 467,817, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,641
    Points
    467,817
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324

    Re: ISU on TV

    Say what you want about his talent (or lack thereof), but Dane Cook did wear an Iowa State shirt through portions of his Tourgasm series...


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 23,431, Level: 46
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Swanson10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,859
    Points
    23,431
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

    Re: ISU on TV

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Say what you want about his talent (or lack thereof), but Dane Cook did wear an Iowa State shirt through portions of his Tourgasm series...
    where did you watch this? curious.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM