Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Jack Trice Update...

I was on the field today...it is without a doubt the nicest field of real grass I have ever seen. The old lettering on the walls has come down, and is being removed from other locations. Repainting of the "new" cardinal color will begin soon. Work continues on the glassed in boxes. It will be done in time. The trouble with stopping is I can't wait until the first game, and that's a long time off.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 16

Re: Jack Trice Update...

I'm glad to hear the "new" cardinal color will replace the old! That would look a little wierd...our jerseys one color and our stadium another..

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

We are starting on the installation of all the seats in the suites tomorrow am. It is suppose to be a 2-week job but when they designed the suites they just flipped them over to duplicate the north west side with the south west side and by doing so they ordered the same left-hand seats. They needed right-hand seats instead of those left-hand ones. But I will take pictures tomorrow and post them

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

i work there and its awesome to work on the field it looks great but it is amazing to see that the old field lasted so many years

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,260
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    We are starting on the installation of all the seats in the suites tomorrow am. It is suppose to be a 2-week job but when they designed the suites they just flipped them over to duplicate the north west side with the south west side and by doing so they ordered the same left-hand seats. They needed right-hand seats instead of those left-hand ones. But I will take pictures tomorrow and post them
    Thanks for the note...When do you expect the outside of the stadium changes will take place with the new logo and lettering?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

Can't wait to see the new and improved Jack Trice!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,439
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 69

[quote=letsgostate;534462 Repainting of the "new" cardinal color will begin soon. Work continues on the glassed in boxes. [/quote]

Thanks for the update; I can't wait to see the final product.

But........I went home to Iowa City a couple weeks ago, and I have to admit, I really admire the outside renovations done on the south side. It looks classy. Also their press box and Box Premium suites looks impressive. It looks like it stretches from 20 yd line to 20 yd line and is about 5 stories high.

I know, I know they don't have any parking...

Compare that to our dinky premium boxes, which reminds me of my high school press box, and it's so dinky it looks like it stretches from the 40 to the 40. Sorry, but Kinick does look impressive when driving by. And I've always like how the stands are right on top of the field and the field is sunken so the wind doesn't swirl as much as the Jack.
    (oh man here comes the blasts and jeers).

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    Thanks for the update; I can't wait to see the final product.

But........I went home to Iowa City a couple weeks ago, and I have to admit, I really admire the outside renovations done on the south side. It looks classy. Also their press box and Box Premium suites looks impressive. It looks like it stretches from 20 yd line to 20 yd line and is about 5 stories high.

I know, I know they don't have any parking...

Compare that to our dinky premium boxes, which reminds me of my high school press box, and it's so dinky it looks like it stretches from the 40 to the 40. Sorry, but Kinick does look impressive when driving by. And I've always like how the stands are right on top of the field and the field is sunken so the wind doesn't swirl as much as the Jack.
    (oh man here comes the blasts and jeers).
    I'll give you the press box. That is an impressive structure. I don't care for the rest of the stadium much, but the press box makes the whole thing look nice. Kinnick sits way up on top of a hill, and I'm always just a little jealous when I drive home, because you can easily see the press box from I-80, right before you come to the Coral Ridge exit.

The wind at Jack Trice, however, is our environmental advantage. Colorado and Wyoming and their mountain brethren have their altitude, Arizona State has insane heat, and Iowa State has an unpredictable wind tunnel. We're used to it and know how to use it to our advantage; our opponents have to struggle against it.

Besides, it'll be a non-issue when we build the south endzone bowl.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,260
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    I'll give you the press box. That is an impressive structure. I don't care for the rest of the stadium much, but the press box makes the whole thing look nice. Kinnick sits way up on top of a hill, and I'm always just a little jealous when I drive home, because you can easily see the press box from I-80, right before you come to the Coral Ridge exit.

The wind at Jack Trice, however, is our environmental advantage. Colorado and Wyoming and their mountain brethren have their altitude, Arizona State has insane heat, and Iowa State has an unpredictable wind tunnel. We're used to it and know how to use it to our advantage; our opponents have to struggle against it.

Besides, it'll be a non-issue when we build the south endzone bowl.
    I don't care if our stadium looks like a high school field as long as we win football games. But to me, it's really shaping up nicely and will be one to be proud of.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    I don't care if our stadium looks like a high school field as long as we win football games. But to me, it's really shaping up nicely and will be one to be proud of.
    Agreed. Besides, you know the pressbox will get a substantial upgrade down the road. Way back when, JP's initial plan for the new suites was to extend the press box all the way north and south along the west side. He changed the suites location later on from there to where they are now, but we know that he's considered extending and upgrading the pressbox sometime in the future. I recall that same plan pointing out that the option would be available to build a mirroring set of suites along the east upper deck, and this was all before they talked about bowling in the endzone with an upper deck.

How sweet would it be to come back to Jack Trice in 25 years and see the stadium bowled in on the south (with connected upper decks, I might add) and just a solid ring of suites all the way around? Extravagant, but fun to think about.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,571
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 136

Half of their press box is luxury seating isnt it? They only have 1 level at "historic"(please) Kinnick field.

#BEATIOWA

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Half of their press box is luxury seating isnt it? They only have 1 level at "historic"(please) Kinnick field.
    OK I had to google the press box at Kinnick to see what the big deal is that people are making of it and I must say it is impressive. It looks like it is 4 stories with the 1st story indoor seating and the 2nd story outdoor seating then the 3rd and 4th for the press. Also I think that thing is 120 yards long, it looks like it goes from the back of one endzone to the back of the other.

HawkeyeSports.com - University of Iowa Official Athletic Site