Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Update on Harrison Barnes

After speaking with Harrison within the last day, he is very pleased and excited with his play and the increase in attention he has brought himself from his play at the LeBron Camp. The one thing he continually re-iterates is his patience and waiting in his recruiting process. With all this talk going around about a 'verbal this fall' or 'before this next season' one may think that from what they've heard from teammates, 'inside sources', etc. is the legit truth. However, from Harrison himself, he has no intentions on deciding this early before his senior year of ball, he has seen things he likes in many school, he has seen things he hasn't. Two pretty important factors in his recruiting process he feels are the school's campus and business program. On top of that, the most important he thought is the ability to win games and make a championship run. From Harrison himself, he is happy where he stands as of today, he is in no rush to decide before this next season, and he wants to win.

What Harrison has said from speaking with him within the last month:

USC: Loves the campus and the area. Likes the current players and staff and really see's them as a 'championship-caliber' team here within the next few years who he see's will win a lot of games.

Kansas: Really enjoys and respects the coaching staff; however, he does not see them making championship-run in the next few years due to loss players to the NBA. Knows they will be good but questions how good.

Iowa State: Obviously, Ames is his roots. Loves the program and school in general and really gets along well with players and coaches. However, also does not know how hard of a push the Cyclones can make to become a 'championship team'. A big plus for Iowa State is being right here in Ames, where he gets to be around the basketball program much more than other schools.

Iowa: Treats him well when is in IC.

Kentucky: Recruiting quite hardly and likes the direction in which the program is going. Rich history.

Texas: Likes the program and there consistency in winning games. See's himself fitting in with their style of play.

TCU: Still extremely close and talks to Prioleau on a daily basis.

Duke: Talks to on almost daily basis and see's an offer coming soon. Really likes Coach K and staff.

However, one huge thing Harrison always does bring up is whether or not he is trying to go to a big school and win championships and perhaps not get the 'stardom' he would at a school like Iowa State, or go to say, TCU or Iowa State and be 'the star'. Something he is really thinking about and has not determined in his recruiting process.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

Re: Update on Harrison Barnes

This doesn't make me like our chances with him

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I talked with a friend of his this weekend and he told me what a huge part in the decision that Harrison's mom will have. That made me feel a little better about the decision since she works with and sees our coaching staff all the time.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 41

Sometimes I forget this kid is in the middle of his soph/jr. year of high school and then I think about what I was doing that summer...I didn't know squat. This kid is getting some good advice if he is being told to be patient. I hope like anything he picks ISU, watching the Major on mediacom last night in the Big 8 championship game made me think how proud I would be to see such a talented local kid suit up for ISU.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    I talked with a friend of his this weekend and he told me what a huge part in the decision that Harrison's mom will have. That made me feel a little better about the decision since she works with and sees our coaching staff all the time.
    And this is true, as his mother, Shirley, and him are very close. However, Harrison always says when it comes down to it, it is he who is playing the basketball and his mother respects that and back his decision. Of course, she will be there to help and guide him, even put in her input, however; when it comes down to it, it is Harrison's decision.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 392

I am going to go ahead and say I dont believe he will be coming to ISU. If he doesnt I wont trash him and will support him wherever he goes. IF he stays, he will probably be treated extremely well, but I just dont think he will choose us. I guess it could depend on if we improve substantially.

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

How can he not think that Kansas is a championship team but that Kentucky may be? They are basically in the same state right now. Same goes for Texas and USC. They are all on the same page as far as a championship goes by the time he comes around.

If he is as good as it looks like he is, we could be a championship caliber team if he is with us. We would have Dykstra who is a top player as well. If Brackins stays he would be a senior, as well as DG or Buckley at point. We could be very very good with him in the lineup

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 496
    Given: 964

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    How can he not think that Kansas is a championship team but that Kentucky may be? They are basically in the same state right now. Same goes for Texas and USC. They are all on the same page as far as a championship goes by the time he comes around.

If he is as good as it looks like he is, we could be a championship caliber team if he is with us. We would have Dykstra who is a top player as well. If Brackins stays he would be a senior, as well as DG or Buckley at point. We could be very very good with him in the lineup
    I have to agree. I hope he comes here.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 166

I think he is right in the fact that USC and Kentucky are built to be more perennial powers and legit champions whereas Kansas is built to contend every 3-5 years or so.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post

Excellent points. Also, without trying to sound blasphemous, Tim Floyd has never made a real run at a conference championship, let alone anything beyond that. If a championship is what he's after and he's looking for a prove coach, Kansas and Duke have to be the front runners. Kentucky doesn't qualify on those grounds.

Sounds to me, as a complete outsider, that his decision regarding ISU will be determined in large part by the success of the 08/09 squad.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 233

USC perennial power? Since when? Just because they can do whatever they want and the NCAA will not punish them means they will win it all. We are talking basketball here not football. I would think Barnes might enjoy playing on the court he probably dreamed of playing on as a youngster. Just think if, with his talent alone, he makes ISU a championship caliber team? How cool would that be? Just stuff that he has to be thinking about. Seems like a smart young man to be taking his time.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 628

I highly doubt we are going to land this kid. If we do great if not oh well. The bottom line is if the kid looks at ISU and doesn't want to be a part of the Cyclone family then much like Wes Johnson.... I don't want him to be here no matter how talented he may or may not be.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 2

Harrison sure sounds like a smart kid and will make a sound decision on his part. Of course we would all love to have him in Ames. This season is going to be a very important deciding factor for Harrison in regards to playing at ISU. We're going to need to win some games (especially a few we aren't favored in) in order for him to think we can "get it done" in Ames.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

In the original post the campus and business program are 2 real important
    things to Harrison. I think we have a great campus. Our business program
    is not real great. In a News Week study, we do not make the top 50!!!
    Some of our competition does. Texas #9, UNC 11, USC 21,TCU 33,
    Texas A&M 34, Baylor 38, EIU 39. Another place showed similar results.
    I think we need to PRAY, ALOT.

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 173

can McD get him