Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

iPhone 3G - Is it worth it?

I've been drooling over the iPhone for over a year now. My contract with Verizon is officially up. I just want some opinions if its worth the switch to AT&T or not? Verizon has really good coverage going for it and actually some pretty cool phones right now like the LG Dare...but its still no iPhone. Do I take the jump and try to finally fulfil my fantasy or stick with Verizon? HELP!!

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 3,129

Re: iPhone 3G - Is it worth it?

If my contract were up with Verizon, I'd be down there first thing on the 11th (I had to talk myself out of buying out of my contract). I played with one a little at the Omaha Apple store, and it's just flat-out sweet. I love my Touch (the cover flow is so cool), and the phone/visual voicemail/internet capabilities on these are awesome. I'm not sure if they have IM capabilities on them? I use MSN on my LG enV, and am not sure if that's a possibility on the iPhone.

M 7/09

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 1

this post is from an iPhone fwi. It is pretty sweet. I'm thinking about getting a 3g. I'll have to do some more research on it

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

I'm getting one.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 39

Wait till they come out, I have 5 of them on order for the office, so I can give you a review next week. I am thinking of dropping my berry for one of these... but right now I would not commit until I can see it.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Don't have an iPhone, but I have switched from Verizon to ATT a few years back on my work phone. I did this because of the better service from ATT.

Of course, I have some atypical use on my work phone, such as international calling and international traveling, where ATT (and T-Mobile) are heads and shoulders above any other carriers.

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 205

My personal opinion is absolutely. The new development platform is going to make for some incredibly exciting apps for the iPhone and the surface has only been scratched for it's potential.

I'm actually looking at the possibility of making an app for myself just for purposes of site and server maintenance and some misc other things I have going on. It's incredibly easy to develop for and the opportunities are endless.

Not to mention it's just incredibly nice to be able to pull up CF without being limited by most typical Blackberry browsers. I know there are alternatives, and I've tried them all (Opera, etc) but nothing compares to Safari on the iPhone for speed, full desktop rendering and usefulness. I can actually login to the server remotely and not feel like I have to squint like I do on the Blackberry.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    My personal opinion is absolutely. The new development platform is going to make for some incredibly exciting apps for the iPhone and the surface has only been scratched for it's potential.

I'm actually looking at the possibility of making an app for myself just for purposes of site and server maintenance and some misc other things I have going on. It's incredibly easy to develop for and the opportunities are endless.

Not to mention it's just incredibly nice to be able to pull up CF without being limited by most typical Blackberry browsers. I know there are alternatives, and I've tried them all (Opera, etc) but nothing compares to Safari on the iPhone for speed, full desktop rendering and usefulness. I can actually login to the server remotely and not feel like I have to squint like I do on the Blackberry.
    I remember a smart phone thread awhile back....have you had every smart phone there is?

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 205

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I remember a smart phone thread awhile back....have you had every smart phone there is?
    In short, Yes. It's been my addiction. I've actually tamed it though and have promised the Mrs that I will stick with the iPhone 3G for at least a year, at which time she can have it and I'll get the next model

The good thing was that I kept them each for such short periods of time that I could sell them on eBay for more than I talked the carriers into selling me them

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 3,129

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Yes, he has.

M 7/09

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 632
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

The biggest drawback about the iPhone 3G is if you live in Iowa there is no 3G service. So essentially you are paying 3g prices for edge service. Now obviously the iPhone 3G will push ATT to develop the 3G network in rural areas of the country.

Though, like Jeremy said, the apps that will be coming out are freaking amazing and these are only the opening apps. For some people this may be worth the new iphone alone. Remember though, the iPod touch will offer the same apps as the iPhone.

US Cellular is trying to lock up their customers right now for another two years. I got a thing in the mail today stating that you can sign a new contract regardless of where you current contract is and get a new phone. I'm guessing this is a reaction because so many people are signing up for ATT because of the iPhone.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by acrozier22 View Post
    The biggest drawback about the iPhone 3G is if you live in Iowa there is no 3G service. So essentially you are paying 3g prices for edge service. Now obviously the iPhone 3G will push ATT to develop the 3G network in rural areas of the country.

Though, like Jeremy said, the apps that will be coming out are freaking amazing and these are only the opening apps. For some people this may be worth the new iphone alone. Remember though, the iPod touch will offer the same apps as the iPhone.

US Cellular is trying to lock up their customers right now for another two years. I got a thing in the mail today stating that you can sign a new contract regardless of where you current contract is and get a new phone. I'm guessing this is a reaction because so many people are signing up for ATT because of the iPhone.

We are supposed to have 3g in the dsm area in sept. Of course that is what ATT is saying right now.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 999
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

Is service any better in the Ames to Marshalltown area along 30? I had ATT a while back before their merger with Cingular and had horrible service. At times I couldn't get a signal in the middle of Ames.

I know I have better signal in Boone with Verizon than my coworkers with IPhones, but they don't seem to have issues of no service.

I've been looking at a smartphone with Verizon but I may give this a look if I can get good coverage out of town.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 240

Getting one on Friday, finally entering the data phone world. :)

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I would break it in two days. Longest lasting phone I've ever had was a Razr for a little over a year. I've heard alot of people complain about AT&T coverage, but now that they are combined with Cingular- I don't know.