Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

DM Reg article about past ISU assistants

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...16/1003/SPORTS

Randy Peterson seems to think Pollard might give former assistants Loney, Rhoads, Elliot & Norvell a strong look to replace Mac. While I think it's wise to look for someone with ISU ties, I don't think it should be a qualification. The only asst. mentioned I would like to see would be Loney (and I'm not a huge Loney backer). I guess the issue with non-ISU guys would be long-term loyalty and commitment...

Rookie
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: DM Reg article about past ISU assistants

It's more than that. Former loyal assistants understand what ISU has to offer and want it. They also would want to return to the midwest and have ties here. They also know coaches in the state and understand the mindset of most iowans. Loney and Rhoad fit this category. Some of the past assistants do not care about ISU.

Non ISU coaches may not care as long as they think they can win for a couple of years and attempt to move on. Finding a good coach that wants to develop the program is the key. Some of these guys mentioned don' t care about ISU's program and wouldn't after they left either.

Jay Norvell would fit in that category even though he coached at ISU. People who knew him at ISU have told me they would never want Jay Norvell as the head coach at ISU. The same has been said of Bevell. Neither cared one bit about the university or fans.

Recruit
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Why not Bill Synder? I saw an interview that he has not ruled out coaching again. I know he is a bit old, but maybe a 3-5 year rebuiliding phase would do us good.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by D UP Clones View Post
    It's more than that. Former loyal assistants understand what ISU has to offer and want it. They also would want to return to the midwest and have ties here. They also know coaches in the state and understand the mindset of most iowans. Loney and Rhoad fit this category. Some of the past assistants do not care about ISU.

Non ISU coaches may not care as long as they think they can win for a couple of years and attempt to move on. Finding a good coach that wants to develop the program is the key. Some of these guys mentioned don' t care about ISU's program and wouldn't after they left either.

Jay Norvell would fit in that category even though he coached at ISU. People who knew him at ISU have told me they would never want Jay Norvell as the head coach at ISU. The same has been said of Bevell. Neither cared one bit about the university or fans.
    Very well written. Didn't know that about Norvell and Bevell.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonic View Post
    Why not Bill Synder? I saw an interview that he has not ruled out coaching again. I know he is a bit old, but maybe a 3-5 year rebuiliding phase would do us good.
    That would be interesting to say the least!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

If these guys cared so much....why did they all leave. None of the former assistants would be good head coach hires. Move on...end of story.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Pay attention,

Loney left so that he could be the head coach at ISU some day. He literally said that. If you can't figure out why he would need to leave to be the head coach, then I am not going to explain it to you.

Rhoads went from a dbacks coach to a coordinator. If you understand the coaching ranks, then that is pretty hard to criticize especially when Skladany was going nowhere.

Both are smart men and very respectable men. I have my fingers crossed Pollard has a clue about them.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by JR View Post
    If these guys cared so much....why did they all leave. None of the former assistants would be good head coach hires. Move on...end of story.
    You most certainly don't understand how college football works. Assistants bounce all over the place. They do that to help build their resume. Every head college football coach was probably an assistant somewhere else before they got their job.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

LONEY RESUME: ISU OC/OLine Coach - Left; Hired as OC at UM, demoted to Line Coach with no play calling abilities - Left; Hired as AZ OLine Coach - Fired; Hired as ISU OC/Asst HC - Left; Hired as Vikings Oline Coach - Fired; Hired as AZ Oline Coach - Soon to be fired...he'll definitely be available.

I completely understand how the coaching ranks work. Loney is a fantastic technical OLine coach with a good understanding of the zone blocking scheme...he is a mediocore coordinator at best because he doesn't grasp the passing game and would be a horrible head coach because he is not a good people manager. He has never been a player's coach and has the personality of a wall. He is not head coaching material. Period. Fundraising, media...the concept of Loney as headcoach is laughable.

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Pollard is probably talking to all 4 of these guys, Why? To get a feel for what a good hire may be looking at ISU. All four coached here and know the lay of the ground, doesn't mean he is going to hire them. He may just be feeling people out. Frankly I hope he talks to alot of former assistants and listens to what they have to say.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

A mediocre coordinator? I guess if oustanding offensive teams counts as mediocre, I'll take it. My goodness, everyone he knows keeps wanting to hire him. ISU asked him to come back. That is a definite sign that he can't get it done. LOL Maybe to a moron. LOL

Dude, your attempts to describe Loney's career make you look foolish. They are not accurate at all.

Do you actually know Loney? Have you worked with him? Funny, I know people who have and their description of Steve Loney is about the opposite of yours. Nevermind, I'm sure you know more. LOL

Go home jr. You're clueless.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Provocative allegations - which of JR's statements about getting demoted or fired are untrue?

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads