Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Flag Guy is ammused...

    About 6 months ago (wow, has it really been that long?) I bought a new used car (it was 2007 model, spent a year in a rental fleet or something). This was during Christmas/New Years, and car dealers were trying to make any deals they could, so I got my car at a pretty good price. One of my criteria for a new car was decent gas mileage, and my new car was listed for 28/32 mpg or something like that.


    Well seeing as how gas prices have shot up by over $1/gallon in the last 6 months, cars such as these are fairly valuable to dealers... and

    apperently I just got a letter (at my parents house) from the dealership wanting to buy my car back. I'm not entirely sure what the terms are they'd be offering me, my dad didn't go into the details but I'm pretty sure it isn't nearly good enough Good thing they sent a letter, that way it's harder for me to tell them what I think of their deal, as it probally wouldn't involve the politest of terms...

    Oh, and the dealership owner is a Hawkeye I believe


    Last edited by Flag Guy; 07-04-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  2. #2
    Giving it a go
    Points: 254,698, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chadm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,603
    Points
    254,698
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    About 6 months ago (wow, has it really been that long?) I bought a new used car (it was 2007 model, spent a year in a rental fleet or something). This was during Christmas/New Years, and car dealers were trying to make any deals they could, so I got my car at a pretty good price. One of my criteria for a new car was decent gas mileage, and my new car was listed for 28/32 mpg or something like that.


    Well seeing as how gas prices have shot up by over $1/gallon in the last 6 months, cars such as these are fairly valuable to dealers... and

    apperently I just got a letter (at my parents house) from the dealership wanting to buy my car back. I'm not entirely sure what the terms are they'd be offering me, my dad didn't go into the details but I'm pretty sure it isn't nearly good enough Good thing they sent a letter, that way it's harder for me to tell them what I think of their deal, as it probally wouldn't involve the politest of terms...

    Oh, and the owner is a Hawkeye I believe
    Aren't you the owner?


    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    of the dealership


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 21,597, Level: 44
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CyPlainsDrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    922
    Points
    21,597
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 15

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    That's probably because dealerships everywhere can't keep high MPG cars on their lots and they have more trucks and SUVs than they can sell. I was doing some car shopping this past week and several dealers are trying to give away their trucks/SUVs and are not accepting them in trade, even if you're a cash paying car buyer.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 185,286, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,317
    Points
    185,286
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 257

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    Just bought a pickup for a great price. If you need a truck.... now is the time to buy as well.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 59,397, Level: 75
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    League City, TX
    Posts
    2,900
    Points
    59,397
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    Aren't you the owner?
    Ironically, anybody who knows Flag Guy knows he really is a filthy Hawkeye. A bit of a slip there, buddy?



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Ironically, anybody who knows Flag Guy knows he really is a filthy Hawkeye. A bit of a slip there, buddy?

    Go cheer for the Vikings, you dirty Norseman you


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 16,539, Level: 39
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cyclone1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    900
    Points
    16,539
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 106

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    I have received these letters before too, but normally after a year or two. I think they will do whatever they can to convince someone to buy a different car.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 69,822, Level: 82
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,628
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclones_R_GR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    3,261
    Points
    69,822
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 337

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneroyce View Post
    I have received these letters before too, but normally after a year or two. I think they will do whatever they can to convince someone to buy a different car.
    That's exactly what it is. An excuse to get you into the dealership so they can try to sell you another car.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    Well they're a little out of luck... I'm sorta about 1000 miles east of where they are now, and quite happy with my car


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  11. #11
    Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    AIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    2,743
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneroyce View Post
    I have received these letters before too, but normally after a year or two. I think they will do whatever they can to convince someone to buy a different car.
    Same here. Don't get too excited. It's just a marketing gimmick to persuade you to buy a new car.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 20,159, Level: 43
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cyclonekj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,170
    Points
    20,159
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    I get these letters weekly. Yeah, I'm sure there's a HUGE demand for my '99 Chrysler. I find that ammmusing myself.


    Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 12,268, Level: 33
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    695
    Points
    12,268
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 45

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    What do you mean "cash Paying buyer". As a person that used to work in the business, I can tell you that car dealerships really don't care if you pay cash. The reality is that they get incentives from companies that want the car loan, so it is actually better for the dealer for the buyer to finance/lease the vehicle.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 20,159, Level: 43
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cyclonekj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,170
    Points
    20,159
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Flag Guy is ammused...

    Quote Originally Posted by drlove View Post
    What do you mean "cash Paying buyer". As a person that used to work in the business, I can tell you that car dealerships really don't care if you pay cash. The reality is that they get incentives from companies that want the car loan, so it is actually better for the dealer for the buyer to finance/lease the vehicle.
    True, plus the fact that many people who finance are more concerned with the cost per payment than the total cost of the vehicle. It's easy to get the payment down by adding to the term, rather than negotiating a better price.


    Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM