Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Yard work

I don't care for yard work.

I don't devote much time towards yard work. My idea of yard work is to water younger trees to keep them from dying.

I'll probably rattle some chains with this thread but what do you think when you see a "perfect lawn"?

I think one of two things. Either the homeowner is using a lawn service or they don't have anything better to do.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,216
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 170

Re: Yard work

3/4 that use a lawn service. 1/4 is men, like me, that take pride in their lawn like they do their ability to totally dominate the grill.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

I am still digging out from the storm last Friday. My yard looks terrible, the landscaping was shredded by hail and will takes days to cut out all the damaged and dying leaves. Two trees were downed and mny branches were broken, the trees lost about half there leaves and I have over 100 trees on my lot. The walnut and oak trees lost all there nuts. Leaves, branches and nuts keep falling with every breeze. The day after the storm my neighbor was out planting new flowers, I have given up for the year.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 102

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    3/4 that use a lawn service. 1/4 is men, like me, that take pride in their lawn like they do their ability to totally dominate the grill.
    Word. Going out to whack down some weeds in the back yard after getting home from the parade this morning. I take pride in having the greenest lawn on the block.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 53

I had sod put down when I bought my house because the lawn was so bad. Now I keep it nice because I spent that money... Its really not that hard to keep up and look nice. Fertilize/weed controller a few times a year which is just using a spreader, and picking the random weed that manages to come out. So I spend about one hour every few months to have one of the nicest yards on the block, which I think is great because a couple of old retired guys on the block with immaculate lawns are always out there doing yard work. They've even commented to me on how nice my lawn is.

Having a low maintenance lawn is really the key. Tall fescue / ryegrass

Rookie
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Alaska, you say someone that has a good looking yard may not have anything better to do as you type your 3,510th post.
    I'm like some of the others that take a lot of pride in my yard. I work with farmers so this spring has been rather demanding with all of the weather problems. I still find time to take care of the yard. I have finished mowing in the dark 6 or 7 times this year.

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I don't know that having nothing better to do is a bad thing. Our yard looks like crap right now because we just moved in last fall and can only do so much at a time. But in our last house we (my husband) spent a lot of time and money making our yard look nice, because we enjoyed it. And someday we will be able to say the same about our current yard. And someday after that, we will be able to sell this house for a little bit more because our yard doesn't look like an evil forest.

Throwing seven different kinds of smoke!

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

It really is not a ton of work to keep up a nice looking lawn. Most of the people in my neighborhood are retired and either spend a lot of time on theirs or pay someone to do it. My next door neighbor probably mows his lawn 3 times a week which eventually it burns out beause of that while I mow mine taller and it stays green all summer.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

All you really NEED to do to keep a lawn looking decent is mow it on a fairly regular basis, and every so often spray some weed control stuff on it.

If you're so inclined, an hour or two a year (or every other year), renting a core aerator or having someone come do it for you helps immensely too. It really isn't that much work.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

My lawn has only been mowed once this summer. My landlord is lazy.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 2

My yard is horrible. It is mostly weeds or plain dirt. I rent and the old tennants at my house had 2 dogs who were pretty brutal to the yard. They also did very little yard work at all. I was going to seed in late spring, but I leave WY to go back to IA in July. I figured it would be best for me to till and freshly seed the yard in Late Aug. or Sept. here. I do enjoy woring on a nice yard though.

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    I don't care for yard work.

I don't devote much time towards yard work. My idea of yard work is to water younger trees to keep them from dying.

I'll probably rattle some chains with this thread but what do you think when you see a "perfect lawn"?

I think one of two things. Either the homeowner is using a lawn service or they don't have anything better to do.
    I live on a couple of acres and have a nice lawn but it is certainly not up to the carpet-like standards of those picturesque lawns in the Scott's brochures. I have gone from doing it all myself - mowing, fertilizing, aerating, weed killing, etc. - to doing almost nothing - to hiring a lawn service. When you have the tools, it's really not a big time commitment to do it yourself. Mowing height and water are also important, but I seldom do the latter.

I now use a lawn service four times a year primarily because it is such a pain to pick up that quantity of fertilizer and to apply routinely.

Now taking care of landscaping is an entirely different proposition. LAWN CARE = Easy; LANDSCAPE CARE = Hard.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

My wife and I hate maintaining a yard. Right now we mow a side of a mountain and while we're okay with that, when we get back to our US property, we're going to start gardening a bunch of it.

I'm definitely one of the "why bother" lawn kind of guys. But I'll work my tail off to have fresh tomatoes, carrots, beans and cherries....

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 125

I don't particulalry enjoy (or hate) the work, but I very much enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get when looking at my mowed and neatly trimmed yard.

I do my own mowing and trimming, but I hired a local company to do the fertilizer and chemicals (they use herbicides and pesticides sparingly). I have St. Augustine grass (which I love), but it can pick up some funky diseases and pests, so I let the pros deal with it.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy