Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

It's all about the numbers now

After watching the press conference last night, it's evident that Pollard has fired somebody that lived and breathed Cyclone football for a long time. This is exactly why I wasn't saying whether I thought we should fire Mac or keep him on. I highly doubt we'll find somebody as devoted to Cyclone football as Mac is, or somebody that is as passionate about this university or community.

I know, I know, the numbers weren't there. He needed to win more games and I'm sure he'd say the same thing. I think Jamie has made two great hires for Wrestling and Basketball (although one was a total no-brainer) and I trust that he can make a great hire for football as well, one that will take us to the "next level".

My only question is, what if he hires some great up and coming coach, perfect pedigree, dynamic, young... and he doesn't pan out? He won't give a crap about ISU like Mac did. He'll probably be some mercenary that will just get another coordinator job elsewhere and begin his quest to the top again.

I know keeping people like Mac just because you're afraid of change is no reason to keep them. But the way people are talking around here, reaching the "next level" is something of a foregone conclusion. Trust me, it isn't, and Mac would be the first to tell you.

All I'm saying is, there ain't anybody's head left to chop in this athletic department, and if this doesn't work out, it's going to be Jamie's *** on the line. And it should be.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

Re: It's all about the numbers now

That's the attitude I've always seen from Pollard - it's my job to make the program work and if it doesn't - it falls on my shoulders.

He's not afraid to make the tough decisions, clearly. And, I doubt he'll shy away from taking flack if it doesn't work.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 759
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Its a chance you have to take, no matter how devoted and heartfelt you are for one person. Its like a marriage. You may love the person with all you might, but if it doesnt work out, you must move on.

The tuff part is in believing that there is someone out there who will show all the personality traits that Mac showed, with the success of winning that we are all looking for. That is the part you have to believe and take Jamie's word on and trusting his decisions.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

All I know is, Jamie expects results. If our team isn't going to a bowl game in two years when we are back to the easy schedule... there is going to be some intense grumbling from a lot of people, and I'd be proud to lead the herd.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    All I know is, Jamie expects results. If our team isn't going to a bowl game in two years when we are back to the easy schedule... there is going to be some intense grumbling from a lot of people, and I'd be proud to lead the herd.

So you already want to set expectations that may lead to failure for our next HC and he isn't even here yet?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No, of course not. But I'm saying I would have expected Mac to make a bowl game in 2008 if he where here. Under this leadership, it is an absolute, bottom line driven state of things. Bottom line, if we're firing somebody to bring in somebody better, he better be better.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

You'll never move forward if you're afraid of the unknown. We could certainly take a step back if we make the wrong hire, but I'll take hope over stagnation any day.

The bottom line is revenues were going to be heading in the wrong direction if DM returned. Coaches don't get paid in excess of 1 million dollars for being nice guys. They need to generate revenues for the athletic department. This is a business and we need a return on our investment. It's a harsh reality, but DM understands what he signed up for.

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

After watching the press conference last night, it's evident that Pollard has fired somebody that lived and breathed Cyclone football for a long time. This is exactly why I wasn't saying whether I thought we should fire Mac or keep him on. I highly doubt we'll find somebody as devoted to Cyclone football as Mac is, or somebody that is as passionate about this university or community.

I know, I know, the numbers weren't there. He needed to win more games and I'm sure he'd say the same thing. I think Jamie has made two great hires for Wrestling and Basketball (although one was a total no-brainer) and I trust that he can make a great hire for football as well, one that will take us to the "next level".

My only question is, what if he hires some great up and coming coach, perfect pedigree, dynamic, young... and he doesn't pan out? He won't give a crap about ISU like Mac did. He'll probably be some mercenary that will just get another coordinator job elsewhere and begin his quest to the top again.

I know keeping people like Mac just because you're afraid of change is no reason to keep them. But the way people are talking around here, reaching the "next level" is something of a foregone conclusion. Trust me, it isn't, and Mac would be the first to tell you.

All I'm saying is, there ain't anybody's head left to chop in this athletic department, and if this doesn't work out, it's going to be Jamie's *** on the line. And it should be.
    I thought D-Mac resigned, maybe I missed something however resignation vs. fired will be debated by the Mac homers, not me. Pollard is in a "Risk management Mode", he is all BIZ and NO nonsense when it comes to running the Dept.. We as fans, students, Alums, and contributors need to get used to his style and agressive style. It is realized by you and myself Jamie is going to be a "goat" or a "Hero" with this next hire, he accepts that and so do I. The Loss of D-Mac is little compared to ticket sales and the program moving forward. Let's stop the looking back and move forward, it's about the money and success of the engine that drives the ISU sports, it's football!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No, of course not. But I'm saying I would have expected Mac to make a bowl game in 2008 if he where here. Under this leadership, it is an absolute, bottom line driven state of things. Bottom line, if we're firing somebody to bring in somebody better, he better be better.
    I expected Mac to take us to a bowl this year, and at least beat teams like Kansas and K-State and not look like crap in every single game this year. I think I can be more patient with a new coach because it can take a lot of time to rebuild a football team. If it appears that the new coach is utilizing the talent at his disposal well then he should get more than two years to take us back to a bowl. It's going to take at least three years for anyone in his first real recruiting class to be an upperclassman.

The biggest thing about the coaching change is that it at least gives me a reason to hope again. It's possible that the new coach might suck, but it wont be readily apparent for years to come. After 12 years I knew what to expect from McCarney's team, and the future was grim.

Seneca Wallace.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Honestly, I don't consider myself a homer, and in fact, I've absolutely raked Mac over the coals this season. But if you think Mac went into Jamie's office yesterday and said, yeah, I think it's time for me to move on, I think you're crazy. Call it what you will, but I highly doubt Mac just decided to step down. He loves this university and his players too much to just willingly walk away.

And in a way, I am looking to the future. I'm stating exactly what I expect out of ISU athletics now. The unsaid stance of this department is, just win baby, and you better do it immediately. We won't tolerate one crappy, underperforming season.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this season isn't bad. It's downright terrible and I haven't seen ISU get downright dominated this bad for a while. I honestly don't think we were this bad in 2003.

I'll buy season tickets next year and I'll support the coach and players, because that's what I do as an ISU fan. But don't think for a second I'm going to adjust my expectations downward for a new coach. Sure, he'll be new. But there are lots of instances where a coach comes in and makes an immediate impact.

If that Mac haters can use Bill Snyder's success at KSU against him, and use other programs as examples... well I don't see how this shouldn't apply to a new guy. This is the state of the program now, and these expectations were set by the leadership of it, not some random internet message board poster.

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Think what you want! It's a board that allows opionions, that's why we are here, right? I take exception however, Mac did exactly what you said he didn't because he does love ISU and the players!

What other option did he have? D-Mac has an EGO too.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

So just where were your expectations for Mac??? Going winless in the conference twice in four years is OK then???

I think that if you are going to give Mac 12 years, then the next guy at least gets 5.

Last edited by darts180; 11-09-2006 at 11:28 AM.
    Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I thought we were talking about the future? I said I would have expected mac to make a bowl in two years, and if he *ahem* "resigned" for someone better, why shouldn't that person make a bowl in two years?

Of course going winless in conference two of four years is not my expectation. Another thing I find hilarious is the MASS assumption that we won't win another game this year.

And for the record, I think every coach should get at least 5 years to have a chance to build a program. They don't even get a full recruiting cycle in really before that. I think it shows goodwill and and willingness to see things through.

This is why I was initally opposed to the Morgan firing as well. But that's all water under the bridge.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Wow, we agree on something. I was opposed to WM being fired after three years, I didn't think that there was enough evidence that he couldn't win.
    This was a completely different situation, after 12 years we knew what Dan was going to do.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Exactly, you can't have the Coach Mac attitude and wonder "what if we fail" or "what if the new coach doesn't pan out"? You have to put it all on the line and give your program the best chance to win. I like Mac; he's a great guy, but he's just not the one to get it done. If we never take a chance on a new coach we'll be stuck with 0-fer seasons and 6 or 7 win season when we have a terrible schedule.