Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday party?

    A child did not invite two of his classmates to his birthday party but invited the rest of his classmates. Consequently, the school is claiming that the children's rights were violated.

    Link:
    BBC NEWS | Europe | Birthday party snub sparks debate


    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  2. #2
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 304,719, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23,320
    Points
    304,719
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 494
    Given: 963

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Not surprised it happened in Sweden.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 479,762, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,129
    Points
    479,762
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 729
    Given: 487

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Only a matter of time, boys, before it happens here. You know some members of this society are pushing to become more "European"...


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  4. #4
    Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    AIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    2,743
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    I don't know if this rises to the level of "violating children's rights" (whatever that means), but it takes a high level of jerkishness for a kid to invite everyone in his class but two to a party. I think it's pretty common in this country that, if a kid hands out invitations in class, everyone must be invited.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 36,659, Level: 59
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    247cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spring Hill, KS
    Posts
    1,104
    Points
    36,659
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    I don't know if this rises to the level of "violating children's rights" (whatever that means), but it takes a high level of jerkishness for a kid to invite everyone in his class but two to a party. I think it's pretty common in this country that, if a kid hands out invitations in class, everyone must be invited.
    That's total BS. I can see birthday treats - cupcakes, suckers, etc, but party invites? What if the kid just didn't like a few and chose to leave them out? Or maybe the bully got left out? It's ok if you don't like everyone, and it's ok if not everyone likes you. The ones who were left out could just return the favor when it comes time for their birthday party. That's how the real world works, the sooner these kids learn that, the better off they'll be.



  6. #6
    Cyclone42
    Guest

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    I don't know if this rises to the level of "violating children's rights" (whatever that means), but it takes a high level of jerkishness for a kid to invite everyone in his class but two to a party. I think it's pretty common in this country that, if a kid hands out invitations in class, everyone must be invited.

    I disagree TOTALLY with this. We really have no idea about the circumstances here, but when I was growing up there were always jerks in every class. I didn't throw many birthday parties when I was a kid, because my birthday is in July, but if if I had, there would have been certain people I would have left out.



  7. #7
    Swarm & Punish
    Points: 286,974, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    keepngoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,786
    Points
    286,974
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 801

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    from what I heard...

    one of the boys not invited, didn't invite him to his party. the other was bullying him in school...

    besides, what the circumstances are, don't really matter... this is about personal choice.. not what the school thinks is best.

    -keep


    The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

    May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

  8. #8
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 304,719, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23,320
    Points
    304,719
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 494
    Given: 963

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    from what I heard...

    one of the boys not invited, didn't invite him to his party. the other was bullying him in school...

    besides, what the circumstances are, don't really matter... this is about personal choice.. not what the school thinks is best.

    -keep
    Yup. The article states that one didn't get an invite because he was not invited to their party. Whether it was a mean thing to do or not, the idea that this violated someone's rights is ridiculous. I'm sure by these definitions, every one of us has had our "rights" violated multiple times in school. We have all dealt with a lot of crap, but if the school had any balls they would deal with it themselves anyway.



  9. #9
    Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    AIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    2,743
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Sorry, if you hand out invitations in class (or in the office for that matter) you have to invite everyone. There are legitimate reasons for leaving a couple people out, and if you want to do so, do it on your own time. Going up in front of the group and inviting everyone but a couple is just plain rude.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Sorry, if you hand out invitations in class (or in the office for that matter) you have to invite everyone. There are legitimate reasons for leaving a couple people out, and if you want to do so, do it on your own time. Going up in front of the group and inviting everyone but a couple is just plain rude.
    Where in the article did it state that the boy went "up in front of the group?"

    The article only states that the invitations were handed out on the school premises.


    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Sorry, if you hand out invitations in class (or in the office for that matter) you have to invite everyone.
    So an office manager can't choose who to invite to an after hours meeting?

    I just don't follow your logic why everyone must be invited.

    Sounds like big brother to me if we can't even choose who to invite to birthday or office gatherings.


    Last edited by alaskaguy; 07-02-2008 at 09:42 PM.
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  12. #12
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 304,719, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23,320
    Points
    304,719
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 494
    Given: 963

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Sorry, if you hand out invitations in class (or in the office for that matter) you have to invite everyone. There are legitimate reasons for leaving a couple people out, and if you want to do so, do it on your own time. Going up in front of the group and inviting everyone but a couple is just plain rude.
    I don't think most people here are disagreeing with you that it is rude. There is a HUGE leap from rude to having your human rights violated.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Sorry, if you hand out invitations in class (or in the office for that matter) you have to invite everyone. There are legitimate reasons for leaving a couple people out, and if you want to do so, do it on your own time. Going up in front of the group and inviting everyone but a couple is just plain rude.
    Forcing a kid to invite a school bully to his birthday party is just wrong.

    Dictatorship of the Proletariat. A Clockwork Orange.

    All come to life.


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  14. #14
    Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    AIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    2,743
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Where in the article did it state that the boy went "up in front of the group?"

    The article only states that the invitations were handed out on the school premises.
    The story says, "The boy handed out his birthday invitations during class-time." To me it sounds like he got up in front of the group, but the story isn't very clear.

    So an office manager can't choose who to invite to an after hours meeting?
    I'm not an office manager, but if he/she is leaving a couple people out of an after-hours meeting, that office is going to have some cohesion problems. If I found out my boss had a party and invited everyone but me, I'd take it as a pretty clear sign that I should find a new job.


    Last edited by AIT; 07-02-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

  15. #15
    Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    AIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    2,743
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: "Children's Rights" were violated because they were not invited to a birthday par

    Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    I don't think most people here are disagreeing with you that it is rude. There is a HUGE leap from rude to having your human rights violated.
    Yeah, it's rude, but calling it a violation of human rights is blowing it way out of proportion. I'm not even sure who mentioned "children's rights." If I'm reading the story right, the boy throwing the party (or at least his dad) filed the petition with parliament complaining about the school's actions. I don't know if "children's rights" is the school's term or kid's.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM