Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

If I hear on the radio, one more time

that ISU isn't showing the loyalty to DMac that he showed to us - I'll puke.

Review the facts. Look at the record. He was given a serious bye during the 90's. Some guy said he deserves a mulligan. Remember '03?

And the same guy also said that he should've packed up at 9-3 '00 season. I'll all but guarantee that there's a reason he didn't. Nobody else really wanted him. Sure he was on some short lists. But wasn't it pretty evident he wanted MSU and the TCU jobs a few years back?

This isn't to get down on Mac. Not at all. But I'm really tired of this BS that ISU isn't being "loyal" after 12 years.

BTW, Mac mentioned himself that there's only 8 other programs with longer tenured coaches. I think that's loyalty. I don't know who those schools are (FSU, Penn St come immediately to mind), but I wager that the records and performance are a little better.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: If I hear on the radio, one more time

I agree with most of what you say, but I also need to say that I think it is becoming pretty apparant that Pollard is a little trigger happy. In his first 14 months he has cleaned out all major sports coaches except Fennely (wonder how long he'll be here if the women disappoint). Most of what Pollard has done I agree with and support, but I hope this doesn't become a trend where he is constantly firing coaches and 'restarting'. I really hope they spend some time finding the new coach, and bring in someone that people can get excited about.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I totally agree Daddymac

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Morgan was a no brainer. 50 F-Bombs on TV per game by his players, no dicipline etc...Cael was a must unless we wanted to be buried again by the U of I.
    I would say he is 2-2. Fenelly is a guy that Pollard will like and Womens basketball generates a lot of money at ISU compared to the majority of other schools. A lot will be said of Pollard with his new hire though.

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post

Review the facts. Look at the record. He was given a serious bye during the 90's. Some guy said he deserves a mulligan. Remember '03?

And the same guy also said that he should've packed up at 9-3 '00 season. I'll all but guarantee that there's a reason he didn't. Nobody else really wanted him. Sure he was on some short lists. But wasn't it pretty evident he wanted MSU and the TCU jobs a few years back?

This isn't to get down on Mac. Not at all. But I'm really tired of this BS that ISU isn't being "loyal" after 12 years.
    BTW, Mac mentioned himself that there's only 8 other programs with longer tenured coaches. I think that's loyalty. I don't know who those schools are (FSU, Penn St come immediately to mind), but I wager that the records and performance are a little better.
    Right on !..............

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

There is no question that Pollard has been very quick to make changes. As a result, now the focus is completly on Pollard becuase the coaching changes were his decision good or bad.

His honeymoon is now officially over and the heat is all his!

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I'm not sure he's necessarily trigger happy. I just think he's willing to pull the trigger when it needs to be done and no one else will.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

If you look at each individual decision that JP has made, I think each change was justified. Thus, I conclude he is just doing his job.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post

Review the facts. [...]

I'll heartily second that!

And you can add to the puke list DM being the greatest coach in ISU history. As you say, "Review the facts". In the 2006 media guide, DM's conference winning % is listed at 0.299, which is below the average of 0.356. DM's overall winning % is 0.403, which is below the all-time average of 0.464. This year isn't going to help DM's numbers any. In fact, Jim Walden's conference winning % is better than DM's, and JW took over a team that was under (or just coming off of, I don't remember exactly) NCAA sanctions.

Look, I understand that people are sad that DM is leaving, and that people need to grieve, and that DM was a nice man and a great Cyclone promoter, but this twisting of history is disrespectful to those coaches and players who came before DM. I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise. DM routinely spun his football competition into top-10 status, and now DM's supporters are trying to spin him into the greatest Cyclone coach of all time. Sorry, I'm not buying it!

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

He has made some hard decisions. Decisions that would only have been more difficult if he had been here longer. I think they have been right, even though they were not easy.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CYTIME View Post
    I'm not sure he's necessarily trigger happy. I just think he's willing to pull the trigger when it needs to be done and no one else will.
    Couldn't agree more.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I'll heartily second that!

And you can add to the puke list DM being the greatest coach in ISU history. As you say, "Review the facts". In the 2006 media guide, DM's conference winning % is listed at 0.299, which is below the average of 0.356. DM's overall winning % is 0.403, which is below the all-time average of 0.464. This year isn't going to help DM's numbers any. In fact, Jim Walden's conference winning % is better than DM's, and JW took over a team that was under (or just coming off of, I don't remember exactly) NCAA sanctions.

Look, I understand that people are sad that DM is leaving, and that people need to grieve, and that DM was a nice man and a great Cyclone promoter, but this twisting of history is disrespectful to those coaches and players who came before DM. I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise. DM routinely spun his football competition into top-10 status, and now DM's supporters are trying to spin him into the greatest Cyclone coach of all time. Sorry, I'm not buying it!
    Who do you think is the best Cyclone football coach?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

Quote Originally Posted by TheHelgo View Post
    I agree with most of what you say, but I also need to say that I think it is becoming pretty apparant that Pollard is a little trigger happy. In his first 14 months he has cleaned out all major sports coaches except Fennely (wonder how long he'll be here if the women disappoint). Most of what Pollard has done I agree with and support, but I hope this doesn't become a trend where he is constantly firing coaches and 'restarting'. I really hope they spend some time finding the new coach, and bring in someone that people can get excited about.
    I think Fennely's the one guy in the ISU Ath. Dept. that has earned the lifetime bye. He's a fan favorite, and unless ISU women finish like in last for 3 straight years he'll remain.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by BigDISU1 View Post
    Who do you think is the best Cyclone football coach?
    I would ask you that exact same question.

Everyone is saying its only wins and losses that matter (hence Mac's reason for being forced out) so:
    • Mac has the all-time best record at 9-3
    • Mac has been to more bowl gamess than anyone, 5.
    • Mac has more bowl victories than anyone, 2. Oh yeah...we had 0 before him.
    • Mac has had 2 Heisman Trophy finalists (Davis)...and almost a 3rd (Wallace)...At Iowa State.
    • Mac has NEVER violated NCAA rules, put the program in jeopardy, been a bad representative of Iowa State, etc.
    He may not have the best stats or have a great looking record to the outside world but to say he wasn't our best coach ever is foolish IMO.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Much of it is about the President.

I could be wrong, but, I suspect the AD has the complete support of Pres. Geoffroy. I like the public goal setting. Everything he does can be measured by whether it moves us closer to the goals. Pollard evidently made a decision that we would be better in x years with a change. Yes, he will be held accountable for that decision. The support of the president is essential so that he isn't fearful of making a mistake.

It hasn't gotten any attention, but, the big difference between now and any other pertinent time is that the president seems to be supportive of building the athletic department. My sense is that we had two football coaches in the 70's who could build the program, but left because they didn't receive support for what they needed from the administration.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads