Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: DT looking for a school

If his academics are that bad, I don't think we would want him anyway.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I concur. If he wasn't eligible for admission out of HS and out of JUCO, why waste a scholarship on him? Plus he's from the heart of SEC country. If he's good enough, one of those schools will take him.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    If his academics are that bad, I don't think we would want him anyway.
    You never know. If he has the grades to get into school, they have the academic support that may be able to help him succeed academically. I wouldn't turn down a 6'4 300lb DL with multiple BCS offers if he has the talent to help the team. It may be just what the Dr. ordered on the DL. What do they have to lose?

The Big 11 is harder on JUCOs than the Big XII or SEC. The key is getting him into school. The support staff can take it from there.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Chile Mac is Back!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 496
    Given: 983

I feel kind of bad for him if he completed the class he was supposed to and still was declined.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Is it just me, or does his head look like a diamond?

"Seven minutes to glory."

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

With risks come rewards. I would not want a class full of guys on the edge but taking one or two (if scholarships are available) does not concern me. Walden took a chance on Troy Davis after he qualified on his last go round with the SAT after some other schools like FSU bailed. If the kid can qualify I say welcome him with open arms and multiple tutors.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    I feel kind of bad for him if he completed the class he was supposed to and still was declined.
    It might be the reason he was turned down is because of how he did in that class- just speculation.

As for accepting him just because he is a good athlete, what message do you think that sends to all the other students at ISU who have to pay their way? We give a scholarship to someone just because he is a good athlete but he doesn't appreciate it just; while other students, who want an education, have to work hard for it and are left thousands of dollars in debt.

If he can get into ISU and wants to walk on, I'm fine with that; just don't give him a scholarship.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I think it's pretty shady that he had to find out from Scout and then call his coach for confirmation. IMO the coach should've told the player, then told Scout.

But back to the topic, if he wants to come here, great. Sign him up as a (preferred?) walk-on and if he gets his grades in order during his first year and shows that he'll be a valuable player for the team, maybe he can pick up a scholarship in a year or two.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

As for accepting him just because he is a good athlete, what message do you think that sends to all the other students at ISU who have to pay their way? We give a scholarship to someone just because he is a good athlete but he doesn't appreciate it just; while other students, who want an education, have to work hard for it and are left thousands of dollars in debt.

If he can get into ISU and wants to walk on, I'm fine with that; just don't give him a scholarship.
    What the heck do you think happens with every other recruit? Do you think that those kids got recruited because they were good students? No, they were recruited because they were good athletes and the staff thought they could help the team. Sorry, but that's just reality. Recruit athletes that can help the team, stay eligible and hopefully graduate. I guess it's not "fair" to the average student, but that's the way it goes.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bmuff View Post
    What the heck do you think happens with every other recruit? Do you think that those kids got recruited because they were good students? No, they were recruited because they were good athletes and the staff thought they could help the team. Sorry, but that's just reality. Recruit athletes that can help the team, stay eligible and hopefully graduate. I guess it's not "fair" to the average student, but that's the way it goes.
    I know why they get scholarships, the question is what are they going to do with them? If an athlete has proven that they don't care about the education- then why should he get a scholarship. Even if he is a good athlete, the ultimate goal is for them to get an education, not just to play football. How many college players make it to the NFL? Out of that, how many get drafted before graduating? I'm sure Chizik agree with this, look at what he did with Bass.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone2011 View Post
    I think it's pretty shady that he had to find out from Scout and then call his coach for confirmation. IMO the coach should've told the player, then told Scout.
    That seemed odd. I have to think the kid knew; since he was close to not meeting the requirements, he surely had to know that he hadn't met them even if he hadn't gotten official word from the UM coaching staff. But I'm pretty sure scout.com had to be nosing around and found out on their own. Even if they didn't call the kid and tell him, what kind of college coach makes it a priority to inform scout.com of anything?

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Prospect
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

the ultimate goal is for them to get an education, not just to play football.

Chiz did not get the cake we gave him to graduate players...he got it to win games and championships. His secondary goal is to have his players graduate. That is the name of the game, and if you don't believe it you are naive. If we want to be a good program we have to take flyers on some questionable kids.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CrimedogClone View Post
    Chiz did not get the cake we gave him to graduate players...he got it to win games and championships. His secondary goal is to have his players graduate. That is the name of the game, and if you don't believe it you are naive. If we want to be a good program we have to take flyers on some questionable kids.
    That is why the NCAA penalizes teams for poor graduation rates. Also, Chizik might not of been hired to graduate players, but I guarantee that it is a big concern to him. You do realize he has a degree in education?

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 619

Wow, this is an astonishingly elitist statement. Do you think that ISU has never taken a chance on anyone before? Or simply believe that people can't change?

I know someone who, when on faculty at ISU, had to use his influence to get his brother into grad school, because his brother had been in a frat as an undergrad, and partied too much. The brother ended up getting his PhD in engineering from ISU once he became a serious student. And that's only one example.

Junior colleges are not only easy, and no challenge, the athletic programs have nothing in the way of academic support--just like they have no weight facilities. Getting someone into school and giving them that support can change their lives.

It might be the reason he was turned down is because of how he did in that class- just speculation.
    Yup, pure speculation--because the article says that he won't have finished retaking the class for a couple of weeks yet.

All that aside, I kinda doubt that they have a schollie available for this fall, since I'm guessing they used one held in reserve for Haworth Hicks.

I'm also guessing that with a nice mix of players in all four classes (Black-a freshman, Alburtis, Johnson and Skifka sophs, Tate{???} and Frere juniors and Weir a senior--not to mention the likely redshirting Ruempolhamer) that they'll consider DT well stocked.

That doesn't even mention that Coach Chiz really prefers juco sophs. However, if the coaching staff thinks he can help, and have the schollie available, I have no quibble with him joing the team, let alone becoming part of the ISU family.