Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 349

What Do We Need for 2007 recruits

2007 class and 17 holes to fill:

Wide receivers - we are set except we need to recruit a receiver 6-4

Tight ends - okay, stay the course

Running Back - big need IMO - need a rushing threat of some type who is not injury prone (big weakness)

Rush ends - anybody with a motor, big needs (big weakness that led to downfall of defense this year)

Secondary - need better coaching and more confidence, but they can have potential

Linebackers - strong asset and a blessing despite what people say about missing tackles. Bowen only made 18 tackles last week.

DTackles - we have big holes to fill (future huge weakness)

Oline - anybody that can move and over 280 from juco. Will we be a rushing team, a passing team, or combo. Probably a combo to survive.
    (biggest weakness theat led to downfall of offense and also put defense on field too much in last half of game)

Special Teams - looking better than rest of team and needs to use best players to produce (our strength)

QBs - number one recruiting priority is to keep Bates - true star

Band - more rock numbers to liven the atmosphere

Fans - stay for complete game the next two years to impress recruits. People leaving at halftime could be seen by potential recruits (56 allowed visits). Even it it is cold, rabid fans impress the young recruits.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Thumbs up Re: What Do We Need for 2007 recruits

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    2007 class and 17 holes to fill:

Wide receivers - we are set except we need to recruit a receiver 6-4

Tight ends - okay, stay the course

Running Back - big need IMO - need a rushing threat of some type who is not injury prone (big weakness)

Rush ends - anybody with a motor, big needs (big weakness that led to downfall of defense this year)

Secondary - need better coaching and more confidence, but they can have potential

Linebackers - strong asset and a blessing despite what people say about missing tackles. Bowen only made 18 tackles last week.

DTackles - we have big holes to fill (future huge weakness)

Oline - anybody that can move and over 280 from juco. Will we be a rushing team, a passing team, or combo. Probably a combo to survive.
    (biggest weakness theat led to downfall of offense and also put defense on field too much in last half of game)

Special Teams - looking better than rest of team and needs to use best players to produce (our strength)

QBs - number one recruiting priority is to keep Bates - true star

Band - more rock numbers to liven the atmosphere

Fans - stay for complete game the next two years to impress recruits. People leaving at halftime could be seen by potential recruits (56 allowed visits). Even it it is cold, rabid fans impress the young recruits.
    I like what you wrote, all the way down to the band and fans. Those are alwasy just as important as the players themselves.

Wider Recievers- I feel another Todd Blythe type player would be nice. Sumrall and Hamilton are good, but not the same. They are their own type of player.

Tight ends- Not as sure of. As long as we got the good blocking and catching players then we are good.

Running Backs- This is hard because if you dont have a line, then any good player might look bad. Unless you get the fastest guy out their to hit the outsides.

Defense all together just needs good coaching. Skalandy(?) is a great coach and has shown good improvement with the injuries taken place. There are some sure positions that need filled, but coaching out weighs it all. Luckily LB's are looking real promising.

Oline- #1 priority for sure as we have all seen.

The rest of the positions are just getting the great depth so we dont run into another position like our defense was this year.

The most important thing for all around are the fans. Lets continue to follow Jamie's vision and pack the jack, cheer loud, and be the best and loudest fans in the big 12. We cannot mope around on this forever otherwise it shows not excitment.

Go clones

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Re: What Do We Need for 2007 recruits

I don't think we have a chances with Bates now. I was amazed we got hit to begin with, so I don't see how we keep him now that he is looking around.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I also think Bates is as good as gone. He's looking at Oklahoma now, the last I heard. I think it's going to take a miracle to real him back.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I was listening to John Walters last night on the news and he said that he had talked with Bates who said he is still committed to ISU and wants to sit down with the new coaching staff before he makes any final decisions.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46

What about Arnaud? I think we will be great at QB. His a very fast ''Waterbug" type QB. IMO.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Speaking of Offensive line, off of the top of my head it would seem that we have 3 returning palyers, Tibbs, Schmeling & Stephens, that should/could be capable of starting next year? Am I forgeting anyone?

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCLONES15 View Post
    I was listening to John Walters last night on the news and he said that he had talked with Bates who said he is still committed to ISU and wants to sit down with the new coaching staff before he makes any final decisions.
    I think all new recruits are going to want to sit down with the new coaching staff before making a decision for the future.

This is what bothers me about everyone worried about Bates. Has he put on a Cyclone uniform? Has he taken a snap on the field and been able to see him play and what he is capable of? NO! There are 125 other players that have already committed to this program. There are 125 other players that have put in the energy it takes to be on this team. These guys are what really matter. You need to worry about the players that we already have and make sure they want to stay and play for you. Then from there, worry about the players that may play for you.

The future is definately about recruiting, but I am confindent that any coach can go out and get players that he likes to bring them to this organization. The quality of the player is still uncertain, but they will come. We just need to focus on the players we currently have.

Bates could be the next big thing, or the next big bust. We dont know? What we do know is we have Arnuad who is being very highly talked about from everyone around that team. This guy shows the potential that we are looking for, and has put the time and energy into this team. As far as I am concerned, until any player finally signs that letter of intent, and practices with the team, the future is not in there hands, and i could care less if the committ or not.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 349

Here is where we came from. It seems like yesterday. With six recruits we are looking like Bill Snyder and last year:

July 6, 2006
    By Brian Hardy
    CSTV.com

BRIAN HARDY Brian is an assistant editor for CSTV.com and contributes on a reular basis.
    E-mail here!
    --- Column Archive --- FOOTBALL 9/8: Raising the Next Generation 9/1: Spurrier Aiming High in Columbia 8/25: Gators Hope To Regain Their Bite 8/22: Penn State Not Letting Up 8/21: Previewing the Big Ten 8/21: Buckeyes Primed for Title Run 8/18: 2006 Schedule Planner - Week 14 8/16: Akron Looks To Repeat Behind QB 8/16: Previewing the MAC 8/16: Top RB May Hail From MAC 8/11: Vols Look to Rekindle Tradition 8/08: Life After Jay Cutler 8/07: Previewing the SEC 8/04: No Fluke at Rutgers 8/04: 2006 Schedule Planner - Week 12 7/21: Cal May Be Golden Behind Lynch 7/21: 2006 Schedule Planner - Week 10 7/13: Two Is Better Than One 7/07: 2006 Schedule Planner - Week 8 7/06: Can The Cyclones Step Up? 6/23: 2006 Schedule Planner - Week 6 6/22: D-IAA Opponents Hear To Stay 6/15: Challenges Adds New Dynamic6/09: 2006 Schedule Planner - Week 46/08: Can The Houston Bowl Be Saved? 6/01: Another Bowl On The Move? 5/04: Bowl Season Gets A New Look 1/07: Penn State Gets Commitment From Duo At U.S. Army All-American Game 1/07: Jai Eugene Commits To Michigan BASKETBALL 3/10: Bucknell Captures Second Straight Patriot League Title2/04: No. 9 Rutgers Shows No. 13DePaul What The Big East Is Made Of1/19: Temple Continues Shining 1/12: 'Nova Gets By Rutgers at the RAC

We see it time and time again in the sports world: teams on the rise struggle along the line, but ultimately take that step up to the big time. For the Iowa State Cyclones, it may be their time to break onto the next level.

The Cyclones have a returning quarterback with two years of starting experience, an explosive offense, a proven coach, and most importantly the motivating disappointment of falling just short of the Big 12 title game. The success the Cyclones have enjoyed the past six seasons and the near-misses of the past two suggest that this team may be ready to move up the ladder of progression.

"We're proud of the foundation we have and the past success," Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney said. "And yet we know that there's a lot out there that we have a chance to play for. There are some things that we haven't achieved yet that we're sure hoping we can get to."

Tops on that list would be winning the Big 12 North and earning a spot in the Big 12 championship game after being cut out in 2004 and 2005, when the Cyclones failed to win their final games of the regular season. Two years ago, Iowa State suffered an overtime loss at home to Missouri, while in 2005, the team fell at Kansas in another overtime defeat.

The Cyclones are hoping to break through this season; however, a tough schedule featuring nine bowl teams will provide a hefty challenge. Of those nine, seven come from the Big 12 - with Iowa and Toledo rounding out the schedule.

"There is no doubt the Big 12 is deep," McCarney said. "It's talented. There's a rich tradition through the first decade of the Big 12 conference and I don't think there's any doubt there's going to be a lot of real good football teams this year in our conference."

Iowa State radio analyst Eric Heft shares similar sentiments about the Big 12.

"The Big 12 is one of the best conferences," Heft said. "I think the North will be very competitive this year, especially with Nebraska showing signs of returning to its old form. It's tough week in and week out. If you're not going to play to full capacity, you're going to get beat."

Despite the tough schedule, it is the return of several players that has Iowa State predicted by many preseason magazines as a contender to win the Big 12 North, with quarterback Bret Meyer leading the way.

Meyer will be a third-year starter once this season starts, and if he can show improvement the way he did between his freshman and sophomore years, big things should be expected. Meyer threw for 2,867 yards last season, the second most ever by an ISU quarterback, while completing over 60 percent of his passes and throwing 19 touchdowns and just 10 interceptions.

"He led us to our fifth bowl game as a redshirt freshman two years ago and as a redshirt sophomore last season, you could see tremendous improvement," McCarney said. "He just has a great grasp of our offense and I think he's seeing the field a lot more and a lot better."

"Bret Meyer is a natural leader," Heft said. "He has complete confidence and I think his improvement last year was tremendous. His decision making was tremendous and his accuracy is outstanding."

The receivers Meyer has at his disposal should also help Iowa State move the ball down the field. Junior Todd Blythe and senior Austin Flynn headline this group. Blythe caught 51 passes for a 19.6-yard average and nine touchdowns last season, while Flynn caught 56 passes for an 11.1-yard average and three TD's.

Flynn actually came into the program as a quarterback, but lost out in competition with Meyer for the position his sophomore season.

"He's [Austin] the ultimate team guy," McCarney said. "Austin had been a quarterback his whole entire career and he was beat out legitimately by Bret Meyer. It was a great battle. After that happens, you go one of two ways. There's probably a lot of examples of guys that go the other way and say I'm going to quit, or I'm going to transfer and go someplace else and play QB. Well, Austin said, `Where can I help this team and where can I start? I want to be a starter on this team.' And he ends up being our leading receiver last year."

"I think, God willing, if we stay healthy, this has the chance to be the best group of receivers we've had in my 12 seasons at Iowa State," McCarney added.

The area on offense with the most questions for the Cyclones appears to be the running game, as ISU finished 96th in the nation in rushing offense last season. But a big part of that was the injury absence of starter Stevie Hicks for part of the year, as the Cyclones were 6-2 when he started and just 1-3 when he didn't. Hicks is healthy now and McCarney is optimistic that the running game can right the ship this season.

"We've got to be a lot more efficient," McCarney said. "We built this program and foundation on a really good rushing offense starting with Troy Davis back in '95 and '96 when he was a Heisman finalist twice. And while we don't need to have Heisman finalist every year, let's get back to a real efficient, productive, and physical rush offense."

On defense, the Cyclones will face more questions with eight new starters from last year's Houston Bowl when they line up against Toledo in their first game on August 31. Tackle Brent Curvey and defensive end Shawn Moorehead should lead the way up front for the Cyclones, while coach McCarney feels cornerback DeAndre Jackson, who is coming off a great junior season, will be "one of the better corners in college football."

"There's going to be a lot of new faces leading this defense, but we have high expectations," McCarney said. "If you're going to be good on defense, you gotta have talent; there's no doubt about it. But, enthusiasm, energy, and passion, and a relentless attitude can make up for what you lack in experience sometimes. And I'll be very disappointed if we don't have a very competitive defense again this year."

As far as games go, mark October 7th against Nebraska on the calendar, as that battle could decide who comes out on top in that half of the conference.

"I think the Nebraska game is the biggest," Heft said. "The Huskers are probably the team favored by most in the North."

One thing is for sure: with the past success of this team, the experience of playing big games, and the momentum surrounding this program, the Cyclones are ready to step up in 2006.

"We know there is going to be an extremely tough schedule ahead, but we're looking at it as a season of opportunity," McCarney said. "We're hoping to continue the success we've had in the past and hopefully keep climbing the mountain."

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.