Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 18

Coach Robinson article

Free article about the new coach. I didn't see it posted yet so hopefully this isn't a repeat. Best wishes to his family.
    Scout.com: Coach Robinson Excited About Joining Cyclones

Coach Robinson Excited About Joining Cyclones

By Greg Ohlson

Posted Jun 27, 2008

Daniyal Robinson wants Cyclone fans to know how excited he is to be a new assistant basketball coach at Iowa State. "I'm very excited with this opportunity. As an assistant coach you want to continue to progress," he said. "You work hard to put yourself in a position to be at this level."

However, much of his excitement was tempered due to the very sad news that his father passed away recently. "My father, Harvey Holmes, recently died from organ failure due to a liver transplant that he had a year ago," said Robinson. "The first six months were going well but then he got walking pneumonia and things got worse from there."
    Robinson was quick to point out how much of a help Iowa State Head Coach Greg McDermott has been through this tragic ordeal. "He's been awsome during this time," he said. "Just listening to me as a sounding board has been so helpful. This is something you're never prepared for and he couldn't have been more understanding to me during this tough time."
    Coach Robinson will be moving his family to Ames this weekend and feels that staying busy on the job will help him during this very tough time in his life. "It's real helpful and I'm just really excited to be on this staff," he said. "I also understand that it's an unbelievable opportunity and I'm very gracious for Coach Mac (McDermott) bringing me in to this program. I really look forward to the challenges."
    Robinson said the transition has been made easier due to the fact that he already knew most of the coaches on staff. "I've known Coach Mac for about five years," he said. "We met when I was at Illinois State and he was at Northern Iowa. I used to talk with him and also saw Coach Rutter (who was an assistant to McDermott also at Northern Iowa) on the road a lot so we also have known each other for a while." Robinson, who is considered an outstanding recruiter, also ran into Iowa State assistant coach T.J. Otzelberger on numerous occasions. "Over the last 4 to 5 years I have become real close with T.J. and so along with Coach (Ron) Smith who is such a savvy veteran I feel real lucky to be working with this staff."
    Robinson feels that recruiting will be his top priority but that he will also fill a variety of roles. "Recruiting is obviously a main priority but what I like is that Coach Mac likes his assistants to be well-rounded," he said. "So I really look forward to also working with the post and wing players."
    Robinson says that he hasn't been able to spend as much time as he would have liked with the players but that the month of July will give him that opportunity. "It's going to be a process as I've been able to spend some time with them," he said. "July and these upcoming months will be critical to developing those relationships."
    Robinson has served twice as an assistant at his alma mater Arkansas Little-Rock and has also served as an assistant at Illinois State. He feels his early years in the profession clearly have prepared him for the challenges of the Big 12. "I feel working for Porter Moser really helped me in my development because he was relentless in regards to the day-to-day grind and he helped with both coaching and recruiting," he said. "I feel I was thrown into the fire at an early age as a graduate assistant and that I really learned from some phenomenal recruiters."

'00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

Re: Coach Robinson article

Coach Robinson has abolutely crazy connections...as crazy as it sounds, they're just as good as Coach TJ's. He has got us in touch with '11 pg Chasson randle. (A really big time player.) He has great connections with the Illinois Warriors AAU team also, one of the best in the country. He got Anthony Johnson on campus for a visit and camp, same with Brandon Spearman. He is a great coach, and really has a great rapport with the players and staff already.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thanks for posting the article. Coach Robinson sounds like a great guy. Sorry to hear about the loss of his father though.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I noticed you posted an article by that Greg Ohlson at Scout.com. There's been no reporter on that site until recently and I've noticed he's gotten some pretty good scoops. I would encourage other ISU fans particularly those who might have given up waiting for ISU to be represented to check out his stuff.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 115

Quote Originally Posted by livsmom View Post
    I noticed you posted an article by that Greg Ohlson at Scout.com. There's been no reporter on that site until recently and I've noticed he's gotten some pretty good scoops. I would encourage other ISU fans particularly those who might have given up waiting for ISU to be represented to check out his stuff.
    He seems pretty good. He's been doing some solid stuff over there the last couple weeeks. Nothing like the previous owners. I actually check out the site again. I hadnt even been on there for years.

#BEATIOWA