Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 66,232, Level: 79
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,443
    Points
    66,232
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

    Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    I got a letter yesterday from the State of Iowa informing me that I didn't file an Iowa return for the years 2005 and 2006. I lived in CO at the time and didn't need to file and Iowa return.

    The letter goes on to say that I need to supply the State of Iowa with proof, including copies of all State Tax Returns, Federal returns, W2, and supporting schedules in order to prove that I didn't NEED to file and Iowa return.

    WTF.

    Then, it states that if I choose not to respond as instructed, they will bill me an estimated tax amount and revoke my PE licensure.

    Wow. Simply because the State SUSPECTS I should have filed a return.

    Incredible.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 82,670, Level: 89
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYVADER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    5,231
    Points
    82,670
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    possible scam?



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 28,941, Level: 52
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 809
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    zdorr40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,349
    Points
    28,941
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    In everything else, it's innocent until proven guilty. When it comes to taxes, it's guilty until proven innocent. And sometimes not even then.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 119,303, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,767
    Points
    119,303
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    possible scam?
    The governor's name is Chet...and his wife is Don King's attorney...


    Just sayin.....



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    possible scam?
    No, definitely greedy vicious state of Iowa tax thieves.

    I went through the same thing when I worked in Illinois...


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 66,232, Level: 79
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,443
    Points
    66,232
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    possible scam?
    Nope, not a scam. I've made some calls. Everything appears to be legit.

    The only scam here is the state hoping I don't respond so they can bill for taxes I wasn't even required to pay.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 31,147, Level: 54
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    1,865
    Points
    31,147
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 68

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    It happens a lot more frequently than you might think. In your case, sounds like you were a resident and had filed previously, non-resident and didn't file, than a resident again and filed in 07. The state is simply looking for missing years.

    I can tell you as a CPA that you would be stunned at how many people simply don't file until they get a notice. Every year I have a handful of people that come in with a notice and 3+ years of tax returns to file. The kicker is, in MANY cases, the taxpayer is entitled to refunds. I've never figured that one out yet.

    It does stink that the burden of proof falls to you. But the state will estimate and after a series of escalations a lien will be filed and your credit history will be affected if you don't give them what they need.


    ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

    Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 82,670, Level: 89
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYVADER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    5,231
    Points
    82,670
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    i got an email about a jury duty scam. anyone else hear about this? they call you up on the phone and say you were summoned and didn't show, then ask for all your info so they can backtrack to see whether or not you are lying. i guess they get hostile and act like they are going to come arrest you and what not and then if you cave in, bam-id theft.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 66,232, Level: 79
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,443
    Points
    66,232
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    Quote Originally Posted by djkent01 View Post
    It happens a lot more frequently than you might think. In your case, sounds like you were a resident and had filed previously, non-resident and didn't file, than a resident again and filed in 07. The state is simply looking for missing years.

    I can tell you as a CPA that you would be stunned at how many people simply don't file until they get a notice. Every year I have a handful of people that come in with a notice and 3+ years of tax returns to file. The kicker is, in MANY cases, the taxpayer is entitled to refunds. I've never figured that one out yet.

    It does stink that the burden of proof falls to you. But the state will estimate and after a series of escalations a lien will be filed and your credit history will be affected if you don't give them what they need.
    I can go back 5 years with my records. So that isn't an issue. The issue is, like you stated, the burden of proof is on me. And now I've got to go make about 300 pages of copies on MY dime and then put MY postage on MY envelope to ship the giant stack of papers simply so I can satisfy the State of Iowa.

    Huge waste of my time.

    Can't I get reimbursed for the costs and my time? Or can I deduct the costs?


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  10. #10
    Swarm & Punish
    Points: 288,782, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    keepngoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    20,053
    Points
    288,782
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 1,091

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    scan them?

    -keep
    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    I can go back 5 years with my records. So that isn't an issue. The issue is, like you stated, the burden of proof is on me. And now I've got to go make about 300 pages of copies on MY dime and then put MY postage on MY envelope to ship the giant stack of papers simply so I can satisfy the State of Iowa.

    Huge waste of my time.

    Can't I get reimbursed for the costs and my time? Or can I deduct the costs?


    The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

    May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 66,232, Level: 79
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,443
    Points
    66,232
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    scan them?

    -keep
    The letter specifically states "Copies" and it also requests "Written explanation" mailed to the address above on the letter.

    I don't think they have reached paperless status yet.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 82,733, Level: 89
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,017
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,902
    Points
    82,733
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    Just send them a copy of your CO tax returns. Not a huge deal for you. Assuming you kept them like you're supposed to.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 66,232, Level: 79
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,443
    Points
    66,232
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    Just send them a copy of your CO tax returns. Not a huge deal for you. Assuming you kept them like you're supposed to.
    No, not a huge deal.

    But, IMO, the states should just figure this out on their own. Iowa can call CO and verify. Why do I have to supply all the paperwork? Some simple investigation on their part would yield the same results.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 31,147, Level: 54
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    1,865
    Points
    31,147
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 68

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    I can go back 5 years with my records. So that isn't an issue. The issue is, like you stated, the burden of proof is on me. And now I've got to go make about 300 pages of copies on MY dime and then put MY postage on MY envelope to ship the giant stack of papers simply so I can satisfy the State of Iowa.

    Huge waste of my time.

    Can't I get reimbursed for the costs and my time? Or can I deduct the costs?
    Wish I could give you better news, but the cost isn't deductible unless you pay someone to do it - and then it will get knocked out by other code limitations - so in the end, even it it were "deductible" it likely wouldn't be allowed.

    Get everything together, include a copy of the state notice, and attach a letter to the front identifying your name, social security number, and the notice number.

    To whom it may concern, during the tax years of 2005 and 2006 I was a resident of the state of Colorado. Notice and copies of tax returns and supporting documents are attached.

    "Respectfully"....

    Make sure you include all of those items, otherwise what you send may get lost in a paper trail and you'll have to do it all over again.

    BTW - per compliance with professional standards and IRS Circular 230, I have to tell you that this is not tax advice. Sometimes I really dislike the things we have to do and say - but in the end your tax returns are your responsibility.

    I'm really not anal, the IRS just makes me appear that way.


    ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

    Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 66,232, Level: 79
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,443
    Points
    66,232
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Department of Revenue Gift!

    Quote Originally Posted by djkent01 View Post
    Wish I could give you better news, but the cost isn't deductible unless you pay someone to do it - and then it will get knocked out by other code limitations - so in the end, even it it were "deductible" it likely wouldn't be allowed.

    Get everything together, include a copy of the state notice, and attach a letter to the front identifying your name, social security number, and the notice number.

    To whom it may concern, during the tax years of 2005 and 2006 I was a resident of the state of Colorado. Notice and copies of tax returns and supporting documents are attached.

    "Respectfully"....

    Make sure you include all of those items, otherwise what you send may get lost in a paper trail and you'll have to do it all over again.

    BTW - per compliance with professional standards and IRS Circular 230, I have to tell you that this is not tax advice. Sometimes I really dislike the things we have to do and say - but in the end your tax returns are your responsibility.

    I'm really not anal, the IRS just makes me appear that way.
    Thanks for the info. My letter essentially says what you said. Mine didn't end with respectfully, however.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM