Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 10

Why I Always Will Respect McCarney

An open letter to the ISU sporting community:

I was there when Criner was there, and I was there when Walden was there. I watched Iowa beat Iowa State 12 straight times, in the stands, ridiculed over and over by Hawkeye fans (i somehow missed the other games). Iowa State didn't beat Iowa once while i went to school there. Nor did they beat them for ten years afterwards. And yet i still kept going. Then the 24-7 at half -- turnaround/3rd quarter miracle in Iowa City happened, and i believed once again...

Maybe the change needed to happen... but that won't ever diminish my respect for Dan McCarney, and what he meant to this program. He made me believe that Iowa State could compete with Iowa. He made me believe that we could play with Nebraska. He thrilled me with the Florida State game, with the amazing comeback and the should-have-been-a-touchdown play. When i had given up on this football program, he brought me back.

My college friends and I had a pact...made in spring 1984. We would all go to the first bowl game ISU played in from that point. We all graduated, went on with our lives, had children, and almost gave up on our college promise. When we finally got together in Phoenix (almost 16 years later), not everybody made it, because that pact had been made so many coaches and so long ago. But the ones of us who got together, we had the time of our lives. I've still got some of the turf i dug up from the ground (remember the roof mysteriously closing in the first quarter?). And for that wonderful weekend, one of the best in my life, I thank Dan.

I sincerely hope that Dan remains part of the Iowa State community. I respect what he did, turning over the program to someone who could give it more energy. But what happened today, to me at least, doesn't diminish the impact of energy or enthusiasm he gave our program. A program going nowhere before he came. Nor does it diminish the new-found interest that i (and other previously apathetic alumnis) now have in being part of the Cyclone weekend football community.

Dan, I hope you're reading this. And i hope that you understand that, while your time to run this football team might have come and gone, your accomplishments will always be remembered by me. And rest assured, I'll always be thankful. Please accept my thanks for bringing me back to the Iowa State football community, and for being the great (and grateful) steward that you were.

- A True Cyclone Fan

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 422
    Given: 334

Re: Why I Always Will Respect McCarney

best mccarney moment: beating iowa 27-9 after the 15 year drought...thanks for all the fun bowl game trips!

@RandomGeoFacts

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by ce1 View Post

I was there when Criner was there, and I was there when Walden was there. I watched Iowa beat Iowa State 12 straight times, in the stands, ridiculed over and over by Hawkeye fans (i somehow missed the other games). Iowa State didn't beat Iowa once while i went to school there. Nor did they beat them for ten years afterwards. And yet i still kept going. Then the 24-7 at half -- turnaround/3rd quarter miracle in Iowa City happened, and i believed once again...

Maybe the change needed to happen... but that won't ever diminish my respect for Dan McCarney, and what he meant to this program. He made me believe that Iowa State could compete with Iowa. He made me believe that we could play with Nebraska. He thrilled me with the Florida State game, with the amazing comeback and the should-have-been-a-touchdown play. When i had given up on this football program, he brought me back.

My college friends and I had a pact...made in spring 1984. We would all go to the first bowl game ISU played in from that point. We all graduated, went on with our lives, had children, and almost gave up on our college promise. When we finally got together in Phoenix (almost 16 years later), not everybody made it, because that pact had been made so many coaches and so long ago. But the ones of us who got together, we had the time of our lives. I've still got some of the turf i dug up from the ground (remember the roof mysteriously closing in the first quarter?). And for that wonderful weekend, one of the best in my life, I thank Dan.

I sincerely hope that Dan remains part of the Iowa State community. I respect what he did, turning over the program to someone who could give it more energy. But what happened today, to me at least, doesn't diminish the impact of energy or enthusiasm he gave our program. A program going nowhere before he came. Nor does it diminish the new-found interest that i (and other previously apathetic alumnis) now have in being part of the Cyclone weekend football community.

Dan, I hope you're reading this. And i hope that you understand that, while your time to run this football team might have come and gone, your accomplishments will always be remembered by me. And rest assured, I'll always be thankful. Please accept my thanks for bringing me back to the Iowa State football community, and for being the great (and grateful) steward that you were.

- A True Cyclone Fan
    Amen Brother. I was there 85 to 89 and suffered through a lot of bad years before Dan came on the scene. As Jamie Pollard said tonight, Dan deserves better then he's gotten.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ce1 View Post

- A True Cyclone Fan

Great Letter CE, well composed and beautiful. It made me feel what I felt about Dan 5 years ago. He truly was a blessing to the cyclone community. Below is McCarney's email address. You should email him yourself what you've said to us.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdave View Post

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 10

Thanks for the e-mail address...i sent it to him.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 323

yeah, I was there from '97 - '03, so I got one year of the pure hell of ISU football. I know it sounds bad, but that first win against Baylor in '97 was a wonderful experience and the first of many to come. Mac has earned my respect, and if this program does go to the next level, the future Cyclones understand who built the foundation.

Nedrick, if you read this, you think you can upgrade yourself to the "double big Mac" for the rest of the season in honor of the original big Mac?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.