Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 177

6/27 Friday Capital City League

I didn't stay for too long tonight. The games seemed kind of flat, so I left before the second half of the second game.

JVB--got some nice boards, showed a little of his outside game

DG--Really pushed the tempo on offense and ran the team. Hopefully that confidence and leadership carries into the fall.

Pomlee--Had a nice block and showed moments of athleticism. I see McDermott riding him hard this year until he becomes more disciplined.

Boozer--hit some nice 3's early on. Seemed to me like he was trying a bit too hard to lead the team in scoring tonight.

Hamilton--no show.

B.P.--same as always, he played hard and just tried to make sure the team ran smoothly

Christopherson--made a couple nice long shots. I like how he dribbled up to the three point line and then knocked one down. I wish he was a little taller. He is listed at 6-3 but I think he was measured by the same person who measured Beasley. He seems to fit the mold of a McDermott 2 guard.

I didn't see the third game so I have no idea what happened there.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Re: 6/27 Friday Capital City League

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneroyce View Post
    Christopherson--made a couple nice long shots. I like how he dribbled up to the three point line and then knocked one down. I wish he was a little taller. He is listed at 6-3 but I think he was measured by the same person who measured Beasley. He seems to fit the mold of a McDermott 2 guard.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneroyce View Post
    Christopherson-- ... I wish he was a little taller.
    I wish he was a baller... wait...

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 13

Couple of comments...

JVB played fairly well. It seemed he was in position to block or alter shots often. Positioned himself well for rebonding but needs strength to grab and hang on...that will come. Offensively his best attribute might be his passing. When he was in the low post he always seemed to make the extra pass. Wasn't really excited about seeing take so many three's.

LA is raw but he played much of the game and seemed in better shape. He played the whole game against Matt Schneiderman (ex-UNI who has (and still is) playing pro ball in Europe for the past six years). Matt is a very disciplined (and smart) player at 6'7" or 6'8". LA played well defensively, showed more some interest in going to the basket (needs to finish stronger). At one point, he and Schneiderman had a little "conflict" (Schederman took it to him hard and LA knocked the ball away). LA was right next to Schneiderman giving him a little grief as they went back down the court. I think LA was getting into Matt's head a bit at that time. Overall, I think LA can turn into something special if he chooses to work at it.

DG - he seems to have a lot of talent and can turn it on when he decides to. If he dribbles in the Big 12 like he did tonight, he will get called a dozen times for carrying the ball. When he plays "correct" he is the best penetrator we have. He needs to really work on knocking down his mid-range jumper (and forget his long-range stiff for now)...if he does he will be something to contend with.

Christopherson did okay. Good team concept, good speed. Too bad he has to sit a year.

Petey, had a lot of assists and ran the team well. Hit a lot of the long shots he took (didn't take many). penetrated well and finished well on several occasions.

Boozer was okay...he had a little hot streak on three's in the first half (4 in a row) but really didn't do anything special after that. They must not count fouls because he was called for at least 6.

I am neutral on Buckley. I didn't see the whole game but he was not a factor. Gave the ball up much too early (he is playing with Josh Young so he was not getting an opportunity to play his nautral spot. Seemed tentative at times. Does have a nice build. Talked it up to his team.

Eck was off the mark on his shooting while I was there. He definitely is a step slower than he needs to be at this time. I don't know how much he will contribute this year.

Barnes will be good. My only disappointment were the folks (a couple) in the stands after the game whining at him to be a Cyclone. Those fans didn't seem interested in Harrison the person, only Harrison the BB player. I want him too but Harrison is a smart young man and I think we need to show an interest in him as a complete package...student and athlete...to get his attention.

Many no shows...Brackins (unless he came later), Haluska, Mann (injured), AT, Hamilton.

What is Cameron Lee doing? Is he still a Cyclone?

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by nfrine View Post
    Couple of comments...

JVB played fairly well. It seemed he was in position to block or alter shots often. Positioned himself well for rebonding but needs strength to grab and hang on...that will come. Offensively his best attribute might be his passing. When he was in the low post he always seemed to make the extra pass. Wasn't really excited about seeing take so many three's.

LA is raw but he played much of the game and seemed in better shape. He played the whole game against Matt Schneiderman (ex-UNI who has (and still is) playing pro ball in Europe for the past six years). Matt is a very disciplined (and smart) player at 6'7" or 6'8". LA played well defensively, showed more some interest in going to the basket (needs to finish stronger). At one point, he and Schneiderman had a little "conflict" (Schederman took it to him hard and LA knocked the ball away). LA was right next to Schneiderman giving him a little grief as they went back down the court. I think LA was getting into Matt's head a bit at that time. Overall, I think LA can turn into something special if he chooses to work at it.

DG - he seems to have a lot of talent and can turn it on when he decides to. If he dribbles in the Big 12 like he did tonight, he will get called a dozen times for carrying the ball. When he plays "correct" he is the best penetrator we have. He needs to really work on knocking down his mid-range jumper (and forget his long-range stiff for now)...if he does he will be something to contend with.

Christopherson did okay. Good team concept, good speed. Too bad he has to sit a year.

Petey, had a lot of assists and ran the team well. Hit a lot of the long shots he took (didn't take many). penetrated well and finished well on several occasions.

Boozer was okay...he had a little hot streak on three's in the first half (4 in a row) but really didn't do anything special after that. They must not count fouls because he was called for at least 6.

I am neutral on Buckley. I didn't see the whole game but he was not a factor. Gave the ball up much too early (he is playing with Josh Young so he was not getting an opportunity to play his nautral spot. Seemed tentative at times. Does have a nice build. Talked it up to his team.

Eck was off the mark on his shooting while I was there. He definitely is a step slower than he needs to be at this time. I don't know how much he will contribute this year.

Barnes will be good. My only disappointment were the folks (a couple) in the stands after the game whining at him to be a Cyclone. Those fans didn't seem interested in Harrison the person, only Harrison the BB player. I want him too but Harrison is a smart young man and I think we need to show an interest in him as a complete package...student and athlete...to get his attention.

Many no shows...Brackins (unless he came later), Haluska, Mann (injured), AT, Hamilton.

Buckley Put up 23 points and 9 assists how was he not a factor?

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by Cyball View Post
    Buckley Put up 23 points and 9 assists how was he not a factor?
    You know you might have a very good player when he can put up those kind of numbers and a person doesnt even notice.

Its that or someone wasnt totally paying attention.

#BEATIOWA

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    You know you might have a very good player when he can put up those kind of numbers and a person doesnt even notice.

Its that or someone wasnt totally paying attention.

This was the last game...I left after 9 minutes of the game Buck was playing in because of the drive home. He must have come on big time because he had not done anything up to that point. Hopefully, I saw him at his worst! Thanks for the update.

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 723

I want him too but Harrison is a smart young man and I think we need to show an interest in him as a complete package...student and athlete...to get his attention.
    Excellent report--especially this portion. And someone made up for what you missed on Buckley.

PS--this is how you edit a long post...

Starter
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 96

Barnes seems to be a very good rebounder. He must have had around 15 boards in the game last night, including a ton of offensive rebounds.

I'm liking Pomlee's hustle so far. He may not be a good offensive player, but he is easily the best post defender in the summer league in my opinion. Schneiderman has pretty much had his way in the league so far, and LA slowed him down pretty well.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 270

Buckley and Josh Parker tore it up in the 2nd half of their game, they are a pretty good combo.

“One day we’ll be in here celebrating a Big 12 championship,” Rhoads said. “That I can promise you.”

"I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.
    @AtownCY

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,075
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 8

i went for all three except the last game

Buckely- i talked to him before the third game and said he was a little homesick but said he was excited to play in Hilton...He's a very nice young guy, and hes really good at basketball to..

Brackins-no show

Diante garret- he was pretty unstoppable and looked real good all night through some pretty sick ally-oops.

Petey- he can sure shoot, plays hard, and is going to get better also saw some nice drives

Sean-didnt see him
    mann-injured
    AT-no show

Eik- he looked alright just looked like he was trying a little to hard

JVB- he has a pretty good outside game and can score downlow when he wants got some nice rebounds, kind of played lazy last night though.

Booz- talked to him after the game and hes real nice, he played decent, he could be a really good player though, kinda tried to hard but he looks to be good.

scott- personally i think hes a heck of a player, i saw him drive the lane and hit some real deep 3's, pure jump shooter.

Pomlee- He could be real nasty downlow, very strong, not to great offensively but saw some nice dunks.

HB-GREAT player, saw some nice dunks/shots, hes gunna be good
    if i missed anyone sorry
    anyways games were a little boring

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Couple of comments...

I'd love to hear from our "insiders" on this one..he's kind of the forgotten man on the team but during the year he would great hustle on d when coming off the bench.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

He's interning in Chicago, I do believe.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

DMRag's story on the Cap City League said Cameron Lee is doing an internship in Chicago.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I completely agree with the recaps. Barnes was unbelievable on offense but didn't play a lot of D. The kid he guarded most of the night scored 27 or 29 and I know he never came close to that in HS last year, I figure the D will come with age. My only other observation is that I thought CB's team looked better than they had all summer and he wasn't there. Not trying to be negative just a couple of observations, I did think overall the guys are looking pretty good.