Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Bring back ISU baseball Mr. Pollard...please? We need a summer sport..not just women's tennis or whatever sport is going on right now.

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">What ya&#39;ll think?</span>

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6
    Pollard addressed this a while back during a TV interview... he said that he would like to, but there are other things that need to be taken care of first... building up football and basketball as well as what we currently have... baseball wasn&#39;t getting the fanbase or money and would be too much of a burden to start again at this point. (not his words but a summary in my own words of what I think I remember the general idea being)

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2
    I am a HUGE baseball fan and would love to be able to watch ISU play baseball. I never got to watch a game before they got rid of the team. But one thing did make sense to me why they had to get rid of it. Because of the unpredictable Iowa weather they had to play the beginning month of the season away so that would also make it hard to get a fan base. I would like to see it back but I like the opinion that we have to work on improving the sports that we have now before we add another one with more things needed to be worked on.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(professor &#064; Jun 1 2006, 01&#58;47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Bring back ISU baseball Mr. Pollard...please? We need a summer sport..not just women&#39;s tennis or whatever sport is going on right now.

[/b][/quote]

Why? Nobody went to the games anyway.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    I agree......I really can&#39;t understand why a lot of people are so hung up on bringing back ISU baseball. Do people really miss it that much?? I guess I may pay attention to it if it was brought back but really don&#39;t feel I&#39;m missing anything by not having it. Is there really any one who pays attention to college baseball until the CWS rolls around? I sure don&#39;t know of anyone. As stated in a previous post, I think there are much bigger fish to fry before we even think of bringing baseball back.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6
    Give it up baseball will come back when it can if it can. I am tried of people saying bring back baseball to ISU. The team was horrable, no on went to the games when they did have it and the players were a&#036;&#036;holes. They acted like they were a top ten team. I could really care less if they do bring back baseball to ISU they were the Royals of the big 12 (and I am a royals fan). Asking on a message board won&#39;t bring it back.

Kyle S. Flander

Walk On
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    I would much rather see our athletic department investing in the sports that draw fans, such as football, men&#39;s and women&#39;s basketball, and wrestling. Spending the money in those programs will eventually provide a return through increased ticket sales.

From what I understand, they couldn&#39;t get fans to go to the baseball games even with free admittance.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Focus resources on JTS & Hilton. With smallest budget need to make choices. I am not against having baseball, I just think at this point and time we have bigger priorities.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Recruit Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flander1649 &#064; Jun 1 2006, 08&#58;01 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Give it up baseball will come back when it can if it can. I am tried of people saying bring back baseball to ISU. The team was horrable, no on went to the games when they did have it and the players were a&#036;&#036;holes. They acted like they were a top ten team. I could really care less if they do bring back baseball to ISU they were the Royals of the big 12 (and I am a royals fan). Asking on a message board won&#39;t bring it back.

[/b][/quote]

If i remember right, didn&#39;t a couple ISU players transfer to Texas and they won it that year. I remember a pitcher that transferred won a game in Omaha that year. Oh well, I just wanted to get everyone&#39;s thoughts about ISU baseball and knew that asking for it on this message board is pointless [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] . I guess I never got a chance to attend a baseball game because when I got here, they already cancelled it. I just wanted to go watch a few games at least when like future MLB players come to town.

As about the weather that sucks in Iowa that is not suitable for baseball is not true. That is not a reason not to have baseball because they get a full season in for high school no matter how bad the weather is.

Oh yeah, I&#39;m sorry you&#39;re a Royals fan. Tell your GM or Owner or whoever to not pocket the money and go spend it on players.

Regarding the White Soxs, I think if Ozuna should play left field with a left handed pitcher and Rob with a righty on the mound. I think if Ozuna gets more PT in the outfield, he&#39;ll get more comfortable since he has speed to get to the ball at least.

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">More to come later...</span>

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I think someone already said it. Baseball will be back at some point. But, the budget needs to increase from bball and football revenue.

I think when baseball comes back, it will be along with an announcement that there will be a baseball facility as well.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(professor &#064; Jun 1 2006, 09&#58;28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

As about the weather that sucks in Iowa that is not suitable for baseball is not true. That is not a reason not to have baseball because they get a full season in for high school no matter how bad the weather is.
    [/b][/quote]

Apples and oranges there.

The collegiate season starts in late February/early March, and finishes in mid-June. The high school season in Iowa starts in late May, and finishes at the end of July.

You don&#39;t see too many "snowouts" after Memorial Day.

Case in point: I believe that the ISU softball team has only played about 2 of its last 8 scheduled home openers on the day they were actually scheduled (late March, after Spring Break). The rest were postponed or cancelled due to cold, rain, and sometimes even snow.

ISU was lucky to play a home game before April 1 most years, which is almost the entire first half of the regular season on the road. With all that travel and no revenue, money disappears at an incredible rate. If everyone who is clamoring to bring back baseball on message boards actually went to the games, ISU would have averaged over 1,000 fans per game instead of the 50 they actually did.

timhisu
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(professor &#064; Jun 1 2006, 01&#58;47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Bring back ISU baseball Mr. Pollard...please? We need a summer sport..not just women&#39;s tennis or whatever sport is going on right now.

[/b][/quote]

No. No one went when we DID have a team and we could spend the money elsewhere right now. I feel sorry for Pollard to have to consistently field this question because it is a total lose/lose. I&#39;d rather spend the 1-2million it would cost to successfully fund a baseball team on updates to JTS like a new fence and audio improvements.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 874
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 2
    If we bring it back, no one will go anyways...but if you want it back, pony up the money.

ISU should focus on football, both basketballs, wrestling and gymnastics..

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1
    In my opinion, the biggest problems with ISU Baseball was the schedule and lack of marketing/promotion. The games would be during the day and during the week. Few, if any, night games (not sure Capp Timm Field has lights) and rarely weekend games. Even the students couldn&#39;t/wouldn&#39;t go because of classes. They broadcast ISU baseball on local KASI am radio so if there was any interest, you could listen. But let&#39;s face it, radio doesn&#39;t make baseball any better. Until ISU can raise the money elsewhere to put up lights and engage in a full blown marketing program promoting baseball, it won&#39;t be back.

Hit it hard, every yard

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    I love following Nebraska baseball. Of course, it helps being a top 20 team each year and qualifying for the CWS 3 of the last 5 years. It is a great way to pass time during the slow months of the year.

Nebraska is hosting a regional and super-regional for the 3rd time in the last 3 years. They have another great shot of making it to Omaha.

Nebraska does have to play the majority of their early game away from home. But they have proven that a Northern team can compete and win at the National level.

I&#39;m torn on whether or not I want ISU baseball back. I would love to be able to go to games in Ames, but with ISU not having a team(along with Colorado), it is a major advantage in recruiting. Nebraska can cherry pick the best talent in CO, IA, and NE.

One thing, if you are going to bring back baseball, you must pour money into facilities if you really want to compete. The BIG XII is a major player in college baseball now. KU and KSU have really improved their teams.

Also, I don&#39;t think Nebraska loses much money on baseball. You can only give out 11 or 13 schollies, but the travel does count up in a hurry. Nebraska in their last homestand of the season brought in over 25,000 fans total for the 3 game series. They have a great agreement and share a new ballpark with an A or AA major league team.

Just some information. I listen to all the games I can while working in the garage, moving etc...