Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    CyGuy33's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    3,174
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Wireless Internet

    I just moved into a new apt. and haven't had the internet access set up. My neighbors have wireless internet and it's good a pretty good signal.

    What do you think about using their internet until I get something set up?

    What are the issues that my surfing could cause them?

    Don't want to upset the neighbors right off the bat.


    "Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 119,303, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,767
    Points
    119,303
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Wireless Internet

    Doesn't cause any issues for you I guess. My opinion on this deal is that if someone is dumb enough not to secure their connection they are fair game.

    IF they however see you on there they may not be happy with you.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 81,668, Level: 88
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,787
    Points
    81,668
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 0

    Re: Wireless Internet

    If they aren't smart enough to block their service in an apartment complex that's their problem. Also, if they can't figure out how to block their service I doubt they will be able to figure out if someone is using their service. I wouldn't be downloading a bunch of stuff to make it slow down but to check email their service shouldn't be affected.



  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 11,361, Level: 32
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cycloneace55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    592
    Points
    11,361
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Wireless Internet

    You can approach this two ways.

    1. Let them know that you can access thier wireless signal and offer to split/or contribute to the cost.

    2. Use it until you are caught or they enable some security features that block you access.

    I have used both methods with success in the past.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 471,325, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,843
    Points
    471,325
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 573
    Given: 396

    Re: Wireless Internet

    I guess it depends on how you feel about moral and ethical dilemmas. For instance, if you saw a $20 laying in front of your neighbor's door, would you pocket it, or would you knock on their door and ask if it belongs to them?


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,237, Level: 73
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,634
    Points
    56,237
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47

    Re: Wireless Internet

    As long as you're not hogging up all their wireless bandwidth downloading movies or something there aren't any issues.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 85,495, Level: 90
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    superdorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,948
    Points
    85,495
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Wireless Internet

    I would approach them and say,
    "I noticed that your Internet connection isn't secured. I can help you secure it if you would like."
    and then,
    "Can I use your connection until my own Internet service is activated?"



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 65,351, Level: 79
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,433
    Points
    65,351
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

    Re: Wireless Internet

    When I first moved into my house, I used a neighbors signal without them knowing for the first week or so until I got mine setup. It was really helpful to have an internet connection when scheduling all the things that need to happen with a new house.

    I agree with the others that is their resposibility to secure their network and you have intentions on getting your own up and going so I don't see it being a big deal.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,325, Level: 62
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    HandSanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bondurant, IA
    Posts
    3,610
    Points
    41,325
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 0

    Re: Wireless Internet

    Or the Neighbor could be testing you and wants you connect to his unsecured network so he can suck the life out of your PC with a batch file or something:)
    Anyone ever thought of that? It could be one of many neighbors



  10. #10
    Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    CyGuy33's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    3,174
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    Or the Neighbor could be testing you and wants you connect to his unsecured network so he can suck the life out of your PC with a batch file or something:)
    Anyone ever thought of that? It could be one of many neighbors
    That would not be cool and then he would be the one ******* off the new neighbor. I don't think it's that kind of group of people though. Something to think about.


    "Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,393, Level: 94
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,397
    Points
    92,393
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 17

    Re: Wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I guess it depends on how you feel about moral and ethical dilemmas. For instance, if you saw a $20 laying in front of your neighbor's door, would you pocket it, or would you knock on their door and ask if it belongs to them?
    The difference here is that you are "stealing" a service someone else is using, not stealing material from them.

    A better example would be, if your neighbor hired someone to mow their lawn and this company kept on mowing yours by accident, would you say something about it?



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 471,325, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,843
    Points
    471,325
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 573
    Given: 396

    Re: Wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post
    The difference here is that you are "stealing" a service someone else is using, not stealing material from them.

    A better example would be, if your neighbor hired someone to mow their lawn and this company kept on mowing yours by accident, would you say something about it?
    Actually, that's different too because it's the lawncare company that's screwing up, not the neighbor. In this case, the ISP has nothing to do with this other than providing the internet. However, they are providing it to the right location; they're fulfilling their contract to the best of their abilities. It's the other end of the contract that's screwing it up because they should be taking measures to "lock up" their wireless.

    I guess a better example would be water. Would you plug your garden hose into someone else's house and water your own lawn with it because they didn't do everything in their power to protect their outdoor faucets from neighbors that might potentially steal it?


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  13. #13
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    h0mestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Van Meter
    Posts
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Wireless Internet

    Individuals have been successfully prosecuted for "stealing WiFi" under Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 47 of the United States Code. The section that can be interpreted to address WiFi theft reads: "intentionally accesses a computer without authorization or who exceeds authorized access". The broad definition of computer can be interpreted to mean "computing system or computer network". It is highly unlikely that you will be caught and prosecuted if you decide to steal you neighbor's WiFi. Illegal or not, stealing WiFi is unquestionably unethical behavior. You don't get a free pass just because someone was not smart enough to secure their wireless connection. There are plenty of places you can go to get free internet access until you get your connection in.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 113,627, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,810
    Points
    113,627
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 85

    Re: Wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Actually, that's different too because it's the lawncare company that's screwing up, not the neighbor. In this case, the ISP has nothing to do with this other than providing the internet. However, they are providing it to the right location; they're fulfilling their contract to the best of their abilities. It's the other end of the contract that's screwing it up because they should be taking measures to "lock up" their wireless.

    I guess a better example would be water. Would you plug your garden hose into someone else's house and water your own lawn with it because they didn't do everything in their power to protect their outdoor faucets from neighbors that might potentially steal it?
    That's a great post. Rep to you!



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,393, Level: 94
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,397
    Points
    92,393
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 17

    Re: Wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Actually, that's different too because it's the lawncare company that's screwing up, not the neighbor. In this case, the ISP has nothing to do with this other than providing the internet. However, they are providing it to the right location; they're fulfilling their contract to the best of their abilities. It's the other end of the contract that's screwing it up because they should be taking measures to "lock up" their wireless.

    I guess a better example would be water. Would you plug your garden hose into someone else's house and water your own lawn with it because they didn't do everything in their power to protect their outdoor faucets from neighbors that might potentially steal it?
    I'll agree

    However, when someone hops onto an open WAP the owner is not charged any extra amount for the extra traffic while the faucet owner's water bill would obviously go up.

    Anyone see why it's been so hard to place laws about wardriving?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM