Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 7,206, Level: 25
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    JunoSosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    54
    Points
    7,206
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    Hello all:

    I'm continuing my eternal research and the responses on here have helped me narrow down a few areas and expand others, so thanks for all of the help you have provided me! It's much appreciated. Hopefully, results will start coming soon.

    I'm looking for anyone who can share any stories or images about Troy Davis-- and I'm looking to go beyond the usual memories, i.e., 378 versus Missouri, UNLV, etc. I want to get into the actual experience of Troy Davis mania. What were the sights, sounds, and smells? Remember the T.D. Yard-O-Meter?

    Here is a photo to get the memories flowing-- Troy making his feelings known:

    Attachment 2279



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 74,433, Level: 84
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycopath25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (307)
    Posts
    5,115
    Points
    74,433
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 4

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    Every time Troy did a T.V. interview I cringed!



  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 9,988, Level: 30
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CYCLONE STATE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    533
    Points
    9,988
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    He slept near me in class.



  4. #4
    Recruit
    Points: 8,547, Level: 27
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    81
    Points
    8,547
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    My brother in law actually helped with the TD o meter back in the day...I forgot about that!



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,187
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    Who do you think he got to spell "heisman" on his sign for him?



  6. #6
    Starter Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    kurecabinboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    731
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    This should be a statement instead of a question, but leading up to the Heisman ceremony, did the residence halls set up a night for Knapp to spell out "TD" or "Troy"?

    At the basketball tipoff in '96 they auctioned off a TD autographed football and made the mistake of having Troy say a few words. If I remember correctly, it went something like this... "[incoherent], Troy Davis - ISU!"

    I wrote a letter to the editor of Sports Illustrated when they wrote about the Heisman hopefuls in '96 and snubbed Troy. My research-rich rantings didn't make it to print, but I received a message back from the editor saying I should be Troy's campaign manager.

    You can't remember Troy Davis without remembering our center Patrick Augafa (a la the Texas State Armadillos) and offensive tackle Tim Kohn. If I remember correctly, Tim received the highest score on the NFL combine exam testing intelligence and TD tested as the lowest.



  7. #7
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 248,728, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    17,641
    Points
    248,728
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 963
    Given: 861

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    I remember one time watching him be smashed by a pile, yet somehow he never fell off his feet and just bursted out from under the pile for 20 more yards.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 271,391, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,517
    Points
    271,391
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 36

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    I remember when Troy was a Freshman in Walden's last year. He didn't play all year and then Walden puts him in to return a kickoff towards the end of the year and Troy ran it back for a TD.

    Pretty much knew he would turn into something special after that.



  9. #9
    Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Points: 265,899, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    rworkman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Boone & Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    18,372
    Points
    265,899
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 122

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    I remember when Troy was a Freshman in Walden's last year. He didn't play all year and then Walden puts him in to return a kickoff towards the end of the year and Troy ran it back for a TD.

    Pretty much knew he would turn into something special after that.
    I believe that was against Colorado.

    Troy was ready to transfer, then Mac came in and found a way to talk him into staying. The rest is history...


    43-54 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 20,397, Level: 43
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    majorcyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,055
    Points
    20,397
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 72

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    I was at the Missouri away game that Saturday he as I recall, set the national rushing record....The Columbia Sunday newspaper sports section was headlined about Troy setting the record, not the Missouri win. Unusual


    U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

  11. #11
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CTAClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Amerika
    Posts
    9,218
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    I remember going to games and the only reason most of the fans were there for was to see Troy run. He really brought a huge following into ISU football. I'm really thankful he came to Iowa State because I think our program would look incredibly different if he wasn't here. I praise Mac for what he did, but I think Davis had a huge role in helping out our program.


    "If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."



  12. #12
    Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Points: 265,899, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    rworkman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Boone & Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    18,372
    Points
    265,899
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 122

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    I remember going to games and the only reason most of the fans were there for was to see Troy run. He really brought a huge following into ISU football. I'm really thankful he came to Iowa State because I think our program would look incredibly different if he wasn't here. I praise Mac for what he did, but I think Davis had a huge role in helping out our program.
    You can put the two together. Troy was back in Florida and done with Iowa State because of Walden. Mac came in and talked in back to Ames. I'm glad he did.


    43-54 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 97,520, Level: 97
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,530
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    everyyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,069
    Points
    97,520
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 195

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    Quote Originally Posted by JunoSosa View Post
    Hello all:

    I'm continuing my eternal research and the responses on here have helped me narrow down a few areas and expand others, so thanks for all of the help you have provided me! It's much appreciated. Hopefully, results will start coming soon.

    I'm looking for anyone who can share any stories or images about Troy Davis-- and I'm looking to go beyond the usual memories, i.e., 378 versus Missouri, UNLV, etc. I want to get into the actual experience of Troy Davis mania. What were the sights, sounds, and smells? Remember the T.D. Yard-O-Meter?

    Here is a photo to get the memories flowing-- Troy making his feelings known:

    Attachment 2279
    I can tell you about living with Troy, and Dawan Anderson, Ty Watley, Agafa, etc. Or going to class with Troy. Partying with Troy. Trying to understand Troy talk. But that probably isn't the stuff you are looking for. Its not flattering.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 97,520, Level: 97
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,530
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    everyyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,069
    Points
    97,520
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 195

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    Quote Originally Posted by kurecabinboy View Post
    This should be a statement instead of a question, but leading up to the Heisman ceremony, did the residence halls set up a night for Knapp to spell out "TD" or "Troy"?

    At the basketball tipoff in '96 they auctioned off a TD autographed football and made the mistake of having Troy say a few words. If I remember correctly, it went something like this... "[incoherent], Troy Davis - ISU!"

    I wrote a letter to the editor of Sports Illustrated when they wrote about the Heisman hopefuls in '96 and snubbed Troy. My research-rich rantings didn't make it to print, but I received a message back from the editor saying I should be Troy's campaign manager.

    You can't remember Troy Davis without remembering our center Patrick Augafa (a la the Texas State Armadillos) and offensive tackle Tim Kohn. If I remember correctly, Tim received the highest score on the NFL combine exam testing intelligence and TD tested as the lowest.
    After his junior year, at a basketball game at the half recognizing him the whole place was chanting 1 more year (even more than for Fizer) and at that moment I think everyone there thought we could will him to stay with good will alone. It was loud.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,405, Level: 68
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    SuperCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Smallville/Metropolis
    Posts
    3,883
    Points
    49,405
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: TROY DAVIS FOR HEISMAN

    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    Troy was ready to transfer, then Mac came in and found a way to talk him into staying. The rest is history...
    Yeah, didn't Calvin Branch get booted off the team?



    What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM