Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 748

Schedule, Game Progression

Yes, we all know it's slow here. So just out of curiosity, I took a look at how this fall's schedule, and those of the near future, hold together. The "Schedule" thread proved so popular, I thought I'd share my thoughts with all of you. For what it's worth, I have seen both improved talent and improved play from Gene Chizik's team, and I expect that progression to continue. Frankly, as i went along, I started to get a little excited.

The Fall '08 campaign:
    Thu, Aug 28 South Dakota State Ames
    Forget that this will be SDSU’s "bowl game", this ain’t no Appy State. Chizik will treat this as an extended scrimmage, keeping key portions of the offense under wraps and being entirely methodical—another reason I dislike these kinds of games. Still, I’ll expect at least 200 yards rushing, as the line works to gain unity. It’s a Thursday night, and the fans should have a good time enjoying both the weather and a win. 31-12.

Sep 06 Kent State Ames
    Vengeance is mine, saith the Chizik. Or, as others might say, payback’s a *****. ISU is intent and controlled, and rolls over Kent State, still being exceptionally conservative, and mostly running the ball down their throats. Occasional passes are allowed, but nothing fancy. W 45-14.

Sep 13 Iowa at Iowa City
    Don’t think that Chizik won’t open it up—at least a little—against the Hawkeyes, especially on defense. Remember the last time we had a linebacker of Josh Raven’s size in Iowa City? And what did he do to the Hawks? Trust me, Gene knows what’s riding on this game—at least a season’s worth of instate recruits. Plus, it’s on TV. Hard fought, but this one is still too early to call.

Sep 20 UNLV at Las Vegas 8:00 p.m.
    Sure, you can beware of a letdown after the Iowa game, but I’m thinking that by this time the youngsters on both lines, like Baysinger, Osemele, Haughton, Black, Alburtis and Lyle have their feet squarely on the ground. Things could get interesting if this is televised. ISU 32-17.

Oct 04 Kansas Ames
    Nothing like opening the conference schedule with a bang. It’s awfully early to project how either team will have matured, but the major point that I like about this matchup is that it’s in Ames, and the Cyclones’ young players will have more confidence in front of friendly fans. Perhaps an upset, but I’m hardly calling that right now. Dancing in the streets?

Oct 11 Baylor at Waco
    Remember what it’s like for a team to adapt to a new coaching style? That’s what Baylor will be going through right now—and hopefully they won’t make the adjustments just in time. It’s time for our youngsters to mature with a road Win, 27-17.

Oct 18 Nebraska Ames
    I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to this game, as we’ll see if Nebby is still bringing their Pinkshirt defense. Yes, there’ll still be that "New Coach" smell for the Huskers as well. I will point out, however, that Barney Cotton will decidedly be looking for vindication after his tenure in Ames, and the criticism he endured. Don’t sell your tickets, this could be the first "upset" of the Gene Chizik era—if he hasn’t already managed it, at home against KU. W 35-31.

Oct 25 Texas A&M (Homecoming) Ames
    Three straight against new coaches? And it’s homecoming? If you don’t think that all three of these are winnable games, I beg to differ. Key to beating A&M—shut down the rushing game, especially Goodson. It’s been a while since the Wrecking Crew resided in College Station. With ISU’s recruiting in the state of Texas revolving to a large degree around this game, Chizik ratchets it up a notch. Win, 31-24.

Nov 01 Oklahoma State at Stillwater
    How long has it been since the Cowboys fielded a respectable defense? They’re getting closer, but I’d still rather not make it a shootout. Lots depends on our defense against their prolific offense, so this is too early to project.

Nov 08 Colorado at Boulder
    Yes, the Buffs have some outstanding talent, but that talent is very young. Graduation wasn’t exactly kind to the Buffs, either. How will they be blending together? Lots of uncertainty in Boulder, where winning hasn’t exactly been a futile hope for the Cyclones. There’s always a chance, but this one is also too early to project.

Nov 15 Missouri Ames
    This is what it comes down to, a true Litmus test for the ’08 squad, and a test of new beginnings. All of the new starters, whether it be at quarterback, offensive line, defensive tackle, linebacker or tight end, will have had a chance to have proven themselves. This team will have gone through the wars, and has always played respectably against the Tigers. It’s in Ames, another chance for a Win? Another that is far too soon to call.

Nov 22 Kansas State at Manhattan
    There’s two things I’ve noticed about juco transfers. First, you only grab double-handfuls of them when you’re desperate. Second, it usually takes them a full year (not merely a season) to adapt, especially when you’re grabbing double (and triple) helpings of juco. It simply takes longer for them to learn to play together—especially the more jucos there are. That’s the case in Manhattan this season, and if Ron Prince was desperate, he just might have run out of time by this point of the season. W 24-10.

’09? Why not a look ahead…
    Austen Arnaud and/or Phillip Bates return as a veteran quarterback, Baysinger-Haughton-Osemele-Lamaak with experience, speedy Bo Williams hits the field, playmakers in Sed Johnson, Marquis and Collin. And that’s just the offense. Get your season tickets now, it’s gonna be a show! Just for the fun of it, lets see how this one flows…

Sep 05 North Dakota State Ames
    A quick win, no doubt about it. No defeatist mentalities allowed.

Sep 12 Iowa Ames
    Er, was that really good preparation for the Hawkeyes? Augh! No matter, Chizik’s experienced squad starts to flex it’s muscle, and at home wins what might well be a matchup of rated teams.

Sep 19 Kent State at Kent, OH
    Nothing quite like playing in front of 30K. Well, perhaps it helps recruiting in Ohio? Third straight win.

Sep 26 Army Ames
    It’ll be interesting to see if this game actually comes off. The Black Knights are a respectable foe, but this is a vastly improved Cyclone team playing at home. Win number four.

Oct 03 Kansas State Ames
    I suppose this is where we find out whether Ron Prince’s Great Juco Experiment of ’08 has paid off. No biggie, playing in Ames, I don’t think it will have paid off enough. Could you believe a fifth straight win?

Oct 10 Kansas at Lawrence
    Nothing like a good reality check. Cyclones could well be flying along at 5-0, so hopefully this isn’t a hard dose of reality. I decidedly think there will be enough playmakers on the field and good enough lines for the Cyclones to make this a good contest. Road trip, anyone?

Oct 17 Baylor (Homecoming) Ames
    Coming home? At worst, Cyclones are 5-2 after this one. Perhaps more likely 6-1, possibly even 7-0. Yes, I know that’s blasphemy for some of you, but it could happen—and it’s far more likely than winning the Powerball jackpot.

Sat, Oct 24 Nebraska at Lincoln
    Y’know, I can’t imagine much that would be more fun than taking the Huskers down a peg in Lincoln. Unless it’s beating them two years in a row. At this point, who knows, but if the Clones are on a roll…

Oct. 31 Texas A&M at College Station
    Aggies have had their time to settle in. However, they’ll also likely be breaking in both a new quarterback, and a new running back. Considering how much his team recruits in Texas, Chizik will decidedly be making this a focus game. Remember what Todd Blythe did to the Aggies in College Station? Sedrick Johnson will be looking to match that feat in front of family and friends.

Nov 7 Oklahoma State Ames
    A lot will depend on just how well holes at defensive end and safety have been filled, considering the Cowboys’ powerful and balanced offense. That said, this game is decidedly winnable—not merely because it’s at the Jack. First one to fifty wins.

Nov 14 Colorado Ames
    We always have a shot at beating CU in Ames. That’s the fact, at the Jack. Always have, always will. Just ‘cause they’ve got a shiny new running back don’t mean nothin’—so do we.

Nov 21 Missouri at Columbia
    Anyone notice that Missouri will be breaking in a new quarterback and a new tight end, among other things? A lot of their success has been wrapped around Chase Daniel’s leadership, and it’ll be interesting to see if their offense still has the same potency without him.

Well…maybe I’m the only one, but this really looks like a bowl season to me—whatever happens in ’08. Possibly two in a row.
    Huh. That was fun—what say we do it again?

'10 Season
    Arnaud/Bates seniors, the supporting cast a very talented and experienced junior/senior mix. Only potential questions at this point are both defensive ends, safety and middle linebacker—all of which I think will be answered emphatically with the ‘09 recruiting class. And it’s not like Cameron Bell won’t often be among the defensive highlights, along with Jerrod Black and seniors like Bailey Johnson, Austin Alburtis and Devin McDowell, to name a few. Oh yeah—if Austen is starting, then both he and Bo are likely on the Heisman watch. Just a reminder. And maybe Sed too.

Sep 4 Northern Illinois Ames
    The way this season starts off, this as actually a nice kickoff. And it’s still going to be a huge win.

Sep 11 Iowa at Iowa City
    With a seasoned cast, I won’t even consider complaining about a road trip to Iowa City the second week of the season. Hawkeyes will have lost a great deal offensively to graduation—will they have a quarterback?. Cyclones might even be ranked in the top 15, Hawks as well, based on an stellar defense, with Clayborn, Ballard, Coleman, Bernstine, Hundertmark and Company all seniors. This could be a game for the ages—a Cyclone win, of course.

Sep 18 Utah Ames
    I’m smiling now, this is a sweet game, especially if Utah has maintained any national prominence—could be regionally televised, if not garnering national attention. I can’t complain that they gave us the game in Ames first, either. The Utes’ offense is excellent preparation for the remainder of the season.

Sep 25 Northern Iowa Ames
    Though I don’t generally see the point of playing UNI, during this season it doesn’t matter a great deal. A whole bunch of pent-up frustration is released, along with a bunch of young players seeing the field.

Oct 02 Texas Tech Ames
    Tech is a passing team, and always will be. They don’t play terribly good defense as a result of being imbalanced. Have I mentioned it’s an advantage to play at home? Now piling up the wins.

Oct 09 Kansas State at Manhattan
    Josh Freeman and all of those jucos just graduated. Rebuilding for the Wildcats, running on an empty talent tank. A win.

Oct 16 Oklahoma at Norman
    If the Cyclones come into this game 6-0, it’s an intriguing matchup. Can you say, nationally televised? Like ’09, a reality check of an entirely different caliber. I think Gene Chizik’s Cyclone will comport themselves well.

Oct 23 Texas at Austin
    Ditto. Psst—anyone remember that Chizik is a former Longhorn assistant?

Oct 30 Kansas (Homecoming) Ames
    It’s nice to be home again. I don’t care what Mangino has done in the meantime (perhaps eaten himself into an early grave), but this one’s a win in Ames.

Sat, Nov 06 Nebraska Ames
    Three in a row would be sweet.

Sat, Nov 13 Colorado at Boulder
    This could very well quickly be turning into a series of marquee national games.

Sat, Nov 20 Missouri Ames
    Wrapping up the season with a big ‘W’? I guess I can’t complain about three of the last four at home—but you know what that means next season. Umm…ten wins, anyone? Wanna go for twelve?

'11 Season…at a glance.
    Batenaud (Arnates?) will likely have departed (unless Phillip has redshirted somewhere along the line), but almost the entirety of the supporting cast will be intact and now seniors—with whatever of the ’08 class that redshirts the core of a strong junior class. Simply replacing a quarterback, I’m thinking the beat goes on from a magical ’10 season.

Sep 03 Utah at Salt Lake City
    First game with Jerome Tiller at the tiller?

Sep 10 Iowa Ames
    At least Bo and Sed should be seniors, along with Keleche, Trey and Scott Haughton up front; defense will be reloaded from Jerrod Black to Ter’ran Benton. Hawk fans now harping about the losing streak—and the core of their tough defense just graduated.

Sep 17 Connecticut at Storrs, Conn.
    What former Cyclone wideout will be starting quarterback for the Huskies now? Hopefully this game will at least make ESPN, headquartered just down the street.

Sep 24 Northern Iowa Ames
    This is just silly, two years in a row. At least with a relatively challenging non-conference schedule, it’s a relative breather.

Oct 01 Kansas State Ames
    Can you say, "Wildcats in disarray?"

Oct 08 Texas Tech at Lubbock
    M-m-m.. The Red Raiders. One last chance to see what ball control with Bo Williams behind a powerful line, pass rush from Black, and coverage courtesy of Benton and friends can do.

Oct 15 Oklahoma (Homecoming) Ames
    Ah-h, Homecoming, and a realistic chance to beat the Sooners. Do we have the bowled in end zone and upper deck yet? Perhaps not as good as ’10, perhaps even better. The house will be rockin’. Trice becomes a Jack of all trades.

Oct 22 Texas Ames
    Anyone think that Chizik won’t be aiming for this one in a big way? Assuming he’s still around after a big ’10 season, of course.

Oct 29 Kansas at Lawrence
    I have to admit that I’m having a hard time imagining Mangino still on the sidelines after all this time—for one reason or another. This should be a fun game, hopefully lots of ‘Clone fans make the road trip.

Nov 05 Nebraska at Lincoln
    If they aren’t beating us by now, it’s new coach time in Lincoln. That’s the fact, Jack.

Nov 12 Colorado Ames
    How did this end up being the only one of the final four games held at home? Oh yeah. Still, a marquee matchup between two of the top backs in the country—or are both in the pros now?

Nov 19 Missouri at Columbia
    The Tigers will have shifted so much by this time that it’s hard to imagine what this team looks like. Still, this could easily be a matchup for the Big 12 North crown—just as it likely was the week before. And perhaps the week before that.

Last edited by Aclone; 06-24-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

Re: Schedule, Game Progression

holy ****, you put a lot of thought and time into this lol

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Wow...I hope most of that was done tongue-in-cheek. I love how you predicted all the wins but games that are sure-fire losses were too early to call. Lay off the kool-aid man.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by DJK15 View Post
    Wow...I hope most of that was done tongue-in-cheek. I love how you predicted all the wins but games that are sure-fire losses were too early to call. Lay off the kool-aid man.
    Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 748

Quote Originally Posted by DJK15 View Post
    Sure fire losses? In the first draft, I had the ISU-Iowa game score as 24-10, but I thought the Hawkeyes might manage more than two scores, depending on how their line and backs develop. That is what I meant by "too early to tell". I mean what I say.

"Sure-fire losses" my left eyetooth.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 13

Sounds like the greatest season ever! I hope that you're right. Everywhere else ISU is picked to finish last in the north.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,373
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

Okay, I noticed it too. Either a win or too close to call. I'm still looking into the teams myself, but I still think it'll be a 4 to 6 win season, depending on how the cards fall. Anything more, and we'll have to anoint Chizik the new mayor of Ames. I still think that the next couple of years will play out a bit like Illinois under Ron Zook -- two embarrassing years followed by a break out year. We won't be lucky like Illinois was to make the BCS, but the third year is when the gears will really start to click.

Must wins/Sure wins -- Have to win these, or else the season will turn south in a hurry:
    South Dakota State
    Kent State
    @ Baylor

Toss ups -- I expect to go 2 for 5 in these, with the most likely candidates the two home games:
    @ Iowa
    Nebraska
    Texas A&M
    @ Kansas State
    @ Colorado

Likely Losses -- Probably won't win, but stand a reasonable chance of upsetting at least one of these:
    Kansas
    @ Oklahoma State
    Missouri

My prediction for now: 5-7 (3-5)

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    Okay, I noticed it too. Either a win or too close to call. I'm still looking into the teams myself, but I still think it'll be a 4 to 6 win season, depending on how the cards fall. Anything more, and we'll have to anoint Chizik the new mayor of Ames. I still think that the next couple of years will play out a bit like Illinois under Ron Zook -- two embarrassing years followed by a break out year. We won't be lucky like Illinois was to make the BCS, but the third year is when the gears will really start to click.

Must wins/Sure wins -- Have to win these, or else the season will turn south in a hurry:
    South Dakota State
    Kent State
    @ Baylor

Toss ups -- I expect to go 2 for 5 in these, with the most likely candidates the two home games:
    @ Iowa
    Nebraska
    Texas A&M
    @ Kansas State
    @ Colorado

Likely Losses -- Probably won't win, but stand a reasonable chance of upsetting at least one of these:
    Kansas
    @ Oklahoma State
    Missouri

UNLV???

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post

South Dakota State
    Kent State
    @ Baylor

@ Iowa
    Nebraska
    Texas A&M
    @ Kansas State
    @ Colorado

Kansas
    @ Oklahoma State
    Missouri

This is about right; but where does UNLV stand? I would put them as a probable win and Baylor as a toss-up. Then we end up either 5-7 or 6-6.

The way I see things, we were 2-6 in conference last year. This year, we'll have our coaching hitting on all cylinders, and no games against Oklahoma, Texas Tech, or Texas. To expect one more conference win is not unreasonable. Expecting 2 more non-conference wins is also reasonable considering our level of play last year against UNI, Kent, and Toledo. I guess the thing against us is that everyone else is improving as well.

We'll probably see Oklahoma and Missouri in the BCS, and the 10 remaining teams fairly closely matched.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

You are ******* crazy, sorry for harsh words.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 448

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Yes, we all know it's slow here. So just out of curiosity, I took a look at how this fall's schedule, and those of the near future, hold together. The "Schedule" thread proved so popular, I thought I'd share my thoughts with all of you. For what it's worth, I have seen both improved talent and improved play from Gene Chizik's team, and I expect that progression to continue. Frankly, as i went along, I started to get a little excited.

The Fall '08 campaign:
    Thu, Aug 28 South Dakota State Ames
    Forget that this will be SDSU’s "bowl game", this ain’t no Appy State. Chizik will treat this as an extended scrimmage, keeping key portions of the offense under wraps and being entirely methodical—another reason I dislike these kinds of games. Still, I’ll expect at least 200 yards rushing, as the line works to gain unity. It’s a Thursday night, and the fans should have a good time enjoying both the weather and a win. 31-12.

Sep 06 Kent State Ames
    Vengeance is mine, saith the Chizik. Or, as others might say, payback’s a *****. ISU is intent and controlled, and rolls over Kent State, still being exceptionally conservative, and mostly running the ball down their throats. Occasional passes are allowed, but nothing fancy. W 45-14.

Sep 13 Iowa at Iowa City
    Don’t think that Chizik won’t open it up—at least a little—against the Hawkeyes, especially on defense. Remember the last time we had a linebacker of Josh Raven’s size in Iowa City? And what did he do to the Hawks? Trust me, Gene knows what’s riding on this game—at least a season’s worth of instate recruits. Plus, it’s on TV. Hard fought, but this one is still too early to call.

Sep 20 UNLV at Las Vegas 8:00 p.m.
    Sure, you can beware of a letdown after the Iowa game, but I’m thinking that by this time the youngsters on both lines, like Baysinger, Osemele, Haughton, Black, Alburtis and Lyle have their feet squarely on the ground. Things could get interesting if this is televised. ISU 32-17.

Oct 04 Kansas Ames
    Nothing like opening the conference schedule with a bang. It’s awfully early to project how either team will have matured, but the major point that I like about this matchup is that it’s in Ames, and the Cyclones’ young players will have more confidence in front of friendly fans. Perhaps an upset, but I’m hardly calling that right now. Dancing in the streets?

Oct 11 Baylor at Waco
    Remember what it’s like for a team to adapt to a new coaching style? That’s what Baylor will be going through right now—and hopefully they won’t make the adjustments just in time. It’s time for our youngsters to mature with a road Win, 27-17.

Oct 18 Nebraska Ames
    I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to this game, as we’ll see if Nebby is still bringing their Pinkshirt defense. Yes, there’ll still be that "New Coach" smell for the Huskers as well. I will point out, however, that Barney Cotton will decidedly be looking for vindication after his tenure in Ames, and the criticism he endured. Don’t sell your tickets, this could be the first "upset" of the Gene Chizik era—if he hasn’t already managed it, at home against KU. W 35-31.

Oct 25 Texas A&M (Homecoming) Ames
    Three straight against new coaches? And it’s homecoming? If you don’t think that all three of these are winnable games, I beg to differ. Key to beating A&M—shut down the rushing game, especially Goodson. It’s been a while since the Wrecking Crew resided in College Station. With ISU’s recruiting in the state of Texas revolving to a large degree around this game, Chizik ratchets it up a notch. Win, 31-24.

Nov 01 Oklahoma State at Stillwater
    How long has it been since the Cowboys fielded a respectable defense? They’re getting closer, but I’d still rather not make it a shootout. Lots depends on our defense against their prolific offense, so this is too early to project.

Nov 08 Colorado at Boulder
    Yes, the Buffs have some outstanding talent, but that talent is very young. Graduation wasn’t exactly kind to the Buffs, either. How will they be blending together? Lots of uncertainty in Boulder, where winning hasn’t exactly been a futile hope for the Cyclones. There’s always a chance, but this one is also too early to project.

Nov 15 Missouri Ames
    This is what it comes down to, a true Litmus test for the ’08 squad, and a test of new beginnings. All of the new starters, whether it be at quarterback, offensive line, defensive tackle, linebacker or tight end, will have had a chance to have proven themselves. This team will have gone through the wars, and has always played respectably against the Tigers. It’s in Ames, another chance for a Win? Another that is far too soon to call.

Nov 22 Kansas State at Manhattan
    There’s two things I’ve noticed about juco transfers. First, you only grab double-handfuls of them when you’re desperate. Second, it usually takes them a full year (not merely a season) to adapt, especially when you’re grabbing double (and triple) helpings of juco. It simply takes longer for them to learn to play together—especially the more jucos there are. That’s the case in Manhattan this season, and if Ron Prince was desperate, he just might have run out of time by this point of the season. W 24-10.

’09? Why not a look ahead…
    Austen Arnaud and/or Phillip Bates return as a veteran quarterback, Baysinger-Haughton-Osemele-Lamaak with experience, speedy Bo Williams hits the field, playmakers in Sed Johnson, Marquis and Collin. And that’s just the offense. Get your season tickets now, it’s gonna be a show! Just for the fun of it, lets see how this one flows…

Sep 05 North Dakota State Ames
    A quick win, no doubt about it. No defeatist mentalities allowed.

Sep 12 Iowa Ames
    Er, was that really good preparation for the Hawkeyes? Augh! No matter, Chizik’s experienced squad starts to flex it’s muscle, and at home wins what might well be a matchup of rated teams.

Sep 19 Kent State at Kent, OH
    Nothing quite like playing in front of 30K. Well, perhaps it helps recruiting in Ohio? Third straight win.

Sep 26 Army Ames
    It’ll be interesting to see if this game actually comes off. The Black Knights are a respectable foe, but this is a vastly improved Cyclone team playing at home. Win number four.

Oct 03 Kansas State Ames
    I suppose this is where we find out whether Ron Prince’s Great Juco Experiment of ’08 has paid off. No biggie, playing in Ames, I don’t think it will have paid off enough. Could you believe a fifth straight win?

Oct 10 Kansas at Lawrence
    Nothing like a good reality check. Cyclones could well be flying along at 5-0, so hopefully this isn’t a hard dose of reality. I decidedly think there will be enough playmakers on the field and good enough lines for the Cyclones to make this a good contest. Road trip, anyone?

Oct 17 Baylor (Homecoming) Ames
    Coming home? At worst, Cyclones are 5-2 after this one. Perhaps more likely 6-1, possibly even 7-0. Yes, I know that’s blasphemy for some of you, but it could happen—and it’s far more likely than winning the Powerball jackpot.

Sat, Oct 24 Nebraska at Lincoln
    Y’know, I can’t imagine much that would be more fun than taking the Huskers down a peg in Lincoln. Unless it’s beating them two years in a row. At this point, who knows, but if the Clones are on a roll…

Oct. 31 Texas A&M at College Station
    Aggies have had their time to settle in. However, they’ll also likely be breaking in both a new quarterback, and a new running back. Considering how much his team recruits in Texas, Chizik will decidedly be making this a focus game. Remember what Todd Blythe did to the Aggies in College Station? Sedrick Johnson will be looking to match that feat in front of family and friends.

Nov 7 Oklahoma State Ames
    A lot will depend on just how well holes at defensive end and safety have been filled, considering the Cowboys’ powerful and balanced offense. That said, this game is decidedly winnable—not merely because it’s at the Jack. First one to fifty wins.

Nov 14 Colorado Ames
    We always have a shot at beating CU in Ames. That’s the fact, at the Jack. Always have, always will. Just ‘cause they’ve got a shiny new running back don’t mean nothin’—so do we.

Nov 21 Missouri at Columbia
    Anyone notice that Missouri will be breaking in a new quarterback and a new tight end, among other things? A lot of their success has been wrapped around Chase Daniel’s leadership, and it’ll be interesting to see if their offense still has the same potency without him.

Well…maybe I’m the only one, but this really looks like a bowl season to me—whatever happens in ’08. Possibly two in a row.
    Huh. That was fun—what say we do it again?

'10 Season
    Arnaud/Bates seniors, the supporting cast a very talented and experienced junior/senior mix. Only potential questions at this point are both defensive ends, safety and middle linebacker—all of which I think will be answered emphatically with the ‘09 recruiting class. And it’s not like Cameron Bell won’t often be among the defensive highlights, along with Jerrod Black and seniors like Bailey Johnson, Austin Alburtis and Devin McDowell, to name a few. Oh yeah—if Austen is starting, then both he and Bo are likely on the Heisman watch. Just a reminder. And maybe Sed too.

Sep 4 Northern Illinois Ames
    The way this season starts off, this as actually a nice kickoff. And it’s still going to be a huge win.

Sep 11 Iowa at Iowa City
    With a seasoned cast, I won’t even consider complaining about a road trip to Iowa City the second week of the season. Hawkeyes will have lost a great deal offensively to graduation—will they have a quarterback?. Cyclones might even be ranked in the top 15, Hawks as well, based on an stellar defense, with Clayborn, Ballard, Coleman, Bernstine, Hundertmark and Company all seniors. This could be a game for the ages—a Cyclone win, of course.

Sep 18 Utah Ames
    I’m smiling now, this is a sweet game, especially if Utah has maintained any national prominence—could be regionally televised, if not garnering national attention. I can’t complain that they gave us the game in Ames first, either. The Utes’ offense is excellent preparation for the remainder of the season.

Sep 25 Northern Iowa Ames
    Though I don’t generally see the point of playing UNI, during this season it doesn’t matter a great deal. A whole bunch of pent-up frustration is released, along with a bunch of young players seeing the field.

Oct 02 Texas Tech Ames
    Tech is a passing team, and always will be. They don’t play terribly good defense as a result of being imbalanced. Have I mentioned it’s an advantage to play at home? Now piling up the wins.

Oct 09 Kansas State at Manhattan
    Josh Freeman and all of those jucos just graduated. Rebuilding for the Wildcats, running on an empty talent tank. A win.

Oct 16 Oklahoma at Norman
    If the Cyclones come into this game 6-0, it’s an intriguing matchup. Can you say, nationally televised? Like ’09, a reality check of an entirely different caliber. I think Gene Chizik’s Cyclone will comport themselves well.

Oct 23 Texas at Austin
    Ditto. Psst—anyone remember that Chizik is a former Longhorn assistant?

Oct 30 Kansas (Homecoming) Ames
    It’s nice to be home again. I don’t care what Mangino has done in the meantime (perhaps eaten himself into an early grave), but this one’s a win in Ames.

Sat, Nov 06 Nebraska Ames
    Three in a row would be sweet.

Sat, Nov 13 Colorado at Boulder
    This could very well quickly be turning into a series of marquee national games.

Sat, Nov 20 Missouri Ames
    Wrapping up the season with a big ‘W’? I guess I can’t complain about three of the last four at home—but you know what that means next season. Umm…ten wins, anyone? Wanna go for twelve?

'11 Season…at a glance.
    Batenaud (Arnates?) will likely have departed (unless Phillip has redshirted somewhere along the line), but almost the entirety of the supporting cast will be intact and now seniors—with whatever of the ’08 class that redshirts the core of a strong junior class. Simply replacing a quarterback, I’m thinking the beat goes on from a magical ’10 season.

Sep 03 Utah at Salt Lake City
    First game with Jerome Tiller at the tiller?

Sep 10 Iowa Ames
    At least Bo and Sed should be seniors, along with Keleche, Trey and Scott Haughton up front; defense will be reloaded from Jerrod Black to Ter’ran Benton. Hawk fans now harping about the losing streak—and the core of their tough defense just graduated.

Sep 17 Connecticut at Storrs, Conn.
    What former Cyclone wideout will be starting quarterback for the Huskies now? Hopefully this game will at least make ESPN, headquartered just down the street.

Sep 24 Northern Iowa Ames
    This is just silly, two years in a row. At least with a relatively challenging non-conference schedule, it’s a relative breather.

Oct 01 Kansas State Ames
    Can you say, "Wildcats in disarray?"

Oct 08 Texas Tech at Lubbock
    M-m-m.. The Red Raiders. One last chance to see what ball control with Bo Williams behind a powerful line, pass rush from Black, and coverage courtesy of Benton and friends can do.

Oct 15 Oklahoma (Homecoming) Ames
    Ah-h, Homecoming, and a realistic chance to beat the Sooners. Do we have the bowled in end zone and upper deck yet? Perhaps not as good as ’10, perhaps even better. The house will be rockin’. Trice becomes a Jack of all trades.

Oct 22 Texas Ames
    Anyone think that Chizik won’t be aiming for this one in a big way? Assuming he’s still around after a big ’10 season, of course.

Oct 29 Kansas at Lawrence
    I have to admit that I’m having a hard time imagining Mangino still on the sidelines after all this time—for one reason or another. This should be a fun game, hopefully lots of ‘Clone fans make the road trip.

Nov 05 Nebraska at Lincoln
    If they aren’t beating us by now, it’s new coach time in Lincoln. That’s the fact, Jack.

Nov 12 Colorado Ames
    How did this end up being the only one of the final four games held at home? Oh yeah. Still, a marquee matchup between two of the top backs in the country—or are both in the pros now?

Nov 19 Missouri at Columbia
    The Tigers will have shifted so much by this time that it’s hard to imagine what this team looks like. Still, this could easily be a matchup for the Big 12 North crown—just as it likely was the week before. And perhaps the week before that.

Hahaha Funny stuff!! Good job!

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

You're asking if Iowa will have a quarterback in 2010? Why worry about 2010, they don't have one now.

And if I interpret your comments correctly, are you predicting ISU to go 48-0 over the next four years? What about our bowl games, how could you leave those out???

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,111
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 13

Great post.
    This makes me even more exicited for football to start, even though it might be a little homerish, still great work.

Droppin' 3's like my name is Scotty C.

Philippians 4:13

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,051
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 96

Aclone, thanks for putting so much time and thought into this write-up. I agree with cyclonez7, it's a bit homerish, but I love it. Great enthusiasm. Keep it up. Pay no mind to the haters.

Addict
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

I guess the kool-aide is running a little low around here right now. I know he posted the best case scenario for the next three seasons... but I'll be damned if it can't be done. It's really fun to think about anyways - we really do seem to have some great young talent that could lead us to great things.

Great post, Aclone.