Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Iowa State schedules 7pm news conference

Iowa State schedules 7 p.m. news conference
    By RANDY PETERSON
    REGISTER STAFF WRITER

November 8, 2006

Ames, Ia. — Amid media reports that football coach Dan McCarney is stepping down, Iowa State scheduled a 7 p.m. news conference today.

McCarney and athletic director Jamie Pollard are scheduled to address the media at that time in the Jacobson Athletic Building.

“I have not resigned from anything,” McCarney told The Des Moines Register shortly after 11 a.m. today. “We’re plugging ahead for Colorado.”

Asked specifically about a report on the KCCI-TV Web site that cited unidentified sources as saying he would announce his resignation today, McCarney said: “I don’t know anything about how that got started, but I have not resigned, nor have I told anybody that I resigned.”

McCarney, in his 12th season as Cyclone coach, met with Pollard on Tuesday night about his job situation. They were scheduled to meet again today, but that has apparently not happened yet.

McCarney's assistant coaches were holding their usual weekly meetings in preparation for Saturday's game at Colorado. Players Milan Moses and Todd Blythe arrived at the football office late this morning and walked out 20 minutes later. They declined comment when asked if they knew anything about McCarney's job status.

At mid-afternoon, McCarney ran past about 20 reporters on his way to his team's practice.

"I always jog to practice," he called out, laughing. "This is nothing new."

Iowa State has an 0-6 Big 12 Conference record heading into Saturday’s game at Colorado.

McCarney’s $1.1 million-a-year contract is through June 2010. The contract calls for McCarney to receive $225,000 for each season remaining on his contract.

“I don’t feel good about it, the opportunity to stay,” McCarney told ESPN.com’s Ivan Maisel on Tuesday. “I think it’s over. I think (Pollard) is going to ask me to resign.”

McCarney has a 55-84 record since arriving in Ames in 1995. His conference record is 26-67. He is the dean of Big 12 coaches.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Iowa State schedules 7pm news conference

The news conference at 7:00 can be streamed from cyclones.com website.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Iowa State schedules 7pm news conference

Interesting. I personally won't be able to speculate anything and I have places to be at 7:00 so I won't be able to catch the conference.