Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 319

Windows Vista question

I am about ready to order my new laptop, and I know just about everything I want to put into it, except for one thing. Currently I have on my order 32-bit Vista with a 3-GB DDR2 RAM. However, I have the option of upgrading to 64-bit Vista for free and upgrading to 4-GB DDR2 RAM for $60. What I plan on using on this laptop most is Adobe CS3 (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash) as well as games. To complicate matters, I currently have 32-bit Vista/2-GB RAM in my desktop, and it works great for everything I use it for. That and I've heard some people say that 64-bit Vista has had some problems.

So, what would any of you recommend?

(note - This thread is not for the purposes of trying to convince me to purchase a Mac as am not open to the suggestion of purchasing one, nor is this a thread about how much Vista sucks and why I should go with XP instead. This is a thread about which is better for my situation - 32-bit Vista or 64-bit Vista).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 12

Re: Windows Vista question

The biggest problem would be finding drivers which shouldn't be a problem in this case because they should be provided if they offer this OS.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 913
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Reformat the HD, and install XP

Burgermeister!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 349

more memory = always better.

That being said, vista x64 is a bit of a bear to get to work with some applications - especially some business apps.

If your stuff works with vista x32, it _might_ work in vista x64. Just remember that it is a whole different beast.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 136

Someone correct me as I may be off on this one. 64bit will handle the additional memory better than the 32bit. I can't remember where I heard this and I may be getting things mixed up in my head (it happens all the time).

Burgermeister!
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    Someone correct me as I may be off on this one. 64bit will handle the additional memory better than the 32bit. I can't remember where I heard this and I may be getting things mixed up in my head (it happens all the time).
    32bit operating systems run out of memory address space somewhere between 3 & 4 GB of RAM (and that includes video memory).

If you want to install a ton of memory, install a 64 bit OS.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 878
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    (note - This thread is not for the purposes of trying to convince me to purchase a Mac as am not open to the suggestion of purchasing one, nor is this a thread about how much Vista sucks and why I should go with XP instead. This is a thread about which is better for my situation - 32-bit Vista or 64-bit Vista).
    Alright fine *cough* Install Linux *cough*

Sorry, something stuck in my fingers.

I'm not sure you have anything to gain out of using 64 bit Vista except that you can install more than 4G of RAM. However, in a Laptop it's unlikely you'd ever have more than this installed anyway.

If you use 64 bit Vista you are going to lose the ability to use old Windows applications (by old I mean from the 3.x era) this really shouldn't be a problem for you. The bigger issue is going to be finding drivers for all of your peripherals if you have them. This is usually a much bigger pain than people need/want to deal with.

I sincerely doubt you'll see any performance increases using 64 bit Vista

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

A little google search lead me to these articles:

Vista: Should I Install 64-bit or 32-bit Version? (x64 vs x86) - Tech-Recipes.com

Ask Dan: 32 or 64 bit Vista?

Personally I have no experience with Vista at all. At work I use XP and the Mac OS at home. Good luck!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    If you go with 32-bit you might as well not purchase any more ram than 3-GB as 32-bit RAM cannot support more than that. From what I've heard in some places, though, 4-GB is supposed to shine with 64-bit Vista. But I've also heard rumors of problems.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Ah, a question I can answer=) The limitations between 32 bit OS and 64 bit OS are as follows. A 32 bit OS can only use 2^32 bytes of memory while a 64 bit OS can use 2^64 bytes of memory. Huge difference. And this memory is not just your ram, but also includes your video memory. As far as driver issues, I have been running vista x64 for several months now and have run into 0 driver issues. The driver issues have been mostly resolved since the 64bit OS has become more common. Go with the 64 bit OS and the added memory.

Burgermeister!
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post
    Alright fine *cough* Install Linux *cough*
    I did that at work and run an XP VM for the stuff that is problematic with Wine. I actually installed my new machine this year with Vista x64 and had enough issues with it that I decided it would be just as easy to get things to run under Linux as they did under Vista x64.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Does CS3 support 64 bit? I don't think it does.

I am about ready to order my new laptop, and I know just about everything I want to put into it, except for one thing. Currently I have on my order 32-bit Vista with a 3-GB DDR2 RAM. However, I have the option of upgrading to 64-bit Vista for free and upgrading to 4-GB DDR2 RAM for $60. What I plan on using on this laptop most is Adobe CS3 (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash) as well as games. To complicate matters, I currently have 32-bit Vista/2-GB RAM in my desktop, and it works great for everything I use it for. That and I've heard some people say that 64-bit Vista has had some problems.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ffelknirznarf View Post
    Does CS3 support 64 bit? I don't think it does.
    I just checked the Adobe site, and it looks like there are SOME issues that have been addressed (and supposedly fixed). However, I think I'm quickly being convinced with some of the other stuff I have read that I am probably going with the 32-bit Vista.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

4 gig of RAM yes, 64-bit No

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 906
    Given: 68

more memory = always better.

That being said, vista x64 is a bit of a bear to get to work with some applications - especially some business apps.

If your stuff works with vista x32, it _might_ work in vista x64. Just remember that it is a whole different beast.
    I'm with you on this. I work for a software company, and we run into tons of apps and peripherals that will not run on a 64 bit OS. The list is shrinking, but not as fast as you might like.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum