Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Incoming players at Skills camp

Justin Hamilton: My source said he was 218 on signing day, and now weighs exactly 256. His dad, uncle, and brother played d1 college football, and his mom and sister d1 volleyball.He lifts twice a day, and eats 6 peanute butter sandwhiches daily between classes, to help him meet his calorie count. He literally improved from the start of the camp to the end of the camp, and showed off some nice moves in the post.
    Dominique: He is going to be the heart and soul of this team. A great defender and point guard, but isn't a great shooter. That is about his only knock. One of the best AAU coaches in the country told me he is about as complete of a player as you will see..and will be crazy good if he adds a jump shot.
    L.A Pomlee: Is very out of shape, and was extremely sore from lifting. He is a very good defensive player already, and repeatedly stopped all of our players in the post.
    Scott Christopherson: A great shooter, and very strong. Not bad on defense, but tends too reach. His biggest knock would be his ball handling, he's faster than he looks.
    Jaime Vanderbeken: As my source said, " When we recruited him we knew him to be a finesse guy, and he is what we thought. A deadly shooter, with some nice post moves, but is not a true 5, plays like a 3/4 combo forward
    Wes Eikmeier: His shot wasn't really falling, but he has a really quick release, and may be one of the top three quickest guys on the whole team, will suprise many people. He was apparently on fire last night, according to Ryan's dad.
    Craig Brackins: He and Diante where there as counselors, but they played and participated in drills. He is really improved as a three shooter, is much stronger, and is in absolutely killer shape. He helped touter the big guys too. (He performed the Mikan Drill for approximately 5 minutes, then played a 12 minute half, and wasn't even sweating)
    Diante Garrett: Man is he fast! His three ball still needs a little work...got along well with everyone, and seems to be everyone's best friend, and gets along great with Coach Mac. He is a good defender too.
    Jordan Dykstra: His play warrants a mention here too. At first I didnt' recognize him, he is much stronger than he looks, and is closer to 6'10" than 6'8" Has a very good jumper to 19 feet, and is fast, he looked like he could play, and even have a chance at starting, for us right now. He looked like a borderline 5 star player.
    Harrison Barnes update: Coach Mac was periodically getting updates called into him from the NBA players camp.....he apparently has grown a couple inches this summer, and was playing extremely well. He and Jordan, along with several other players, will be attending our "academy" next week, which simulates college for the players. Everyone seemed pretty confident on his front.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Re: Incoming players at Skills camp

Good to see Diante and Craig are taking some leadership roles on the team.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 2

hopefully dykstra and barnes become good friends and barnes commits to us soon

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Barnes will not commit to us soon.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=171&f=2550&t=2594690

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 2

I guess I'm just having wishfull thinking

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 127

Great stuff, cyismydog!

Got a couple or three questions (OK, I'm lying, I've got more than that ;-) stemming from your comments. Perhaps you'll know the answers, perhaps not. But, here goes:

Justin Hamilton: 256 lbs, wow. So, what sort of shape is he in, does he carry the weight well? Perhaps he's filling out as he matures. Has he got some quicks for his size?

Dominique Buckley: I've read one of our colleagues here state that some insiders believe he'll start at PG from Day One. Did you overhear any talk like that? Care to compare his PG game to Diante's?

LA Pomlee: He's tired and sore, probably working harder at the game than he has previously in his life. Is his attitude holding up? Does he seem pumped to be playing college ball?

Scott Christopherson: Kind of a big Jake Sullivan then, maybe?

Wes Eikmeier: What did you think of his handle. It's been said he's got a PG-type handle. You think so? If so, handle, shooting, and quicks . . . how do you beat that? And, with the quicks, he's got the makings of a fine defensive player, you'd think.

Jamie Vanderbeken: Mac has said he really likes to play two 4s rather than a 4 and 5 (I heard him say it on radio a year ago) because of athleticism and match-up problems it can create for the other team. Did you see Jamie and Craig play together? Can you imagine both on the floor at the same time? Good duo?

Jordan Dykstra. Boy, get him and Harrison to Ames in the same class. Wow. Wow. Wow. The imagination soars, what these two Iowans might achieve together. . . .

Lots of questions, but, heck, you don't have any homework to worry about. (Although, where you live, maybe you've got flood cleanup chores.)

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    Barnes will not commit to us soon.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=171&f=2550&t=2594690
    I never predict the future because, well, it's unpredictable.

And, conventional wisdom often is anything but.

Maybe Harrison is months away from making a decision, I have no idea. But I've been on this good earth long enough to understand what we think we know today often is not what we know tomorrow.

There are so many variables at work in human life, I won't make absolute statements about what will or will not occur. Guess I'll leave that to others.

Just offering a point of view, I'm not attempting to be cranky.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    Great stuff, cyismydog!

Got a couple or three questions (OK, I'm lying, I've got more than that ;-) stemming from your comments. Perhaps you'll know the answers, perhaps not. But, here goes:

Justin Hamilton: 256 lbs, wow. So, what sort of shape is he in, does he carry the weight well? Perhaps he's filling out as he matures. Has he got some quicks for his size?

Dominique Buckley: I've read one of our colleagues here state that some insiders believe he'll start at PG from Day One. Did you overhear any talk like that? Care to compare his PG game to Diante's?

LA Pomlee: He's tired and sore, probably working harder at the game than he has previously in his life. Is his attitude holding up? Does he seem pumped to be playing college ball?

Scott Christopherson: Kind of a big Jake Sullivan then, maybe?

Wes Eikmeier: What did you think of his handle. It's been said he's got a PG-type handle. You think so? If so, handle, shooting, and quicks . . . how do you beat that? And, with the quicks, he's got the makings of a fine defensive player, you'd think.

Jamie Vanderbeken: Mac has said he really likes to play two 4s rather than a 4 and 5 (I heard him say it on radio a year ago) because of athleticism and match-up problems it can create for the other team. Did you see Jamie and Craig play together? Can you imagine both on the floor at the same time? Good duo?

Jordan Dykstra. Boy, get him and Harrison to Ames in the same class. Wow. Wow. Wow. The imagination soars, what these two Iowans might achieve together. . . .

Lots of questions, but, heck, you don't have any homework to worry about. (Although, where you live, maybe you've got flood cleanup chores.)
    Justin Hamilton is a little chubby....but it's solid muscle underneath.
    I think Dom will start at the one, and Diante at the two.
    L.A. seems to have the right attitude, and seems to go about things the right way.
    cott Christopherson: Kind of a big Jake Sullivan then, maybe?
    Not that I saw. He has a different kind of shot, and can take it to the hole.
    Wes Eikmeier: What did you think of his handle. It's been said he's
    got a PG-type handle. You think so? If so, handle, shooting, and quicks . . . how do you beat that? And, with the quicks, he's got the makings of a fine defensive player, you'd think.
    He is strong, but not Big 12 strong. He does have a great handle.
    Craig will probably end up playing the 5, for at least part of the year. And yes, they would make a great duo.
    yep....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 751

Justin may look a bit chubby because he's been doing everything he can to gain weight. The bad weight will melt off quickly once practice starts, if not sooner. It's good to have a guy that can gain weight. We'll make it look good later. :)

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    It's good to have a guy that can gain weight.
    I know it!

JH will prove to be a major steal for us, mark it down.

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 237

Any chance we can keep Marcus Paige from playing in the PTL in IC? He'll probably outplay most of Iowas current players.

#BEATIOWA

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

I was pretty impressed with Hamilton tonight at the CCL, clearly the biggest guy on the team and you can tell he was well coached in high school. Still pretty raw but he wasn't quite as raw as Pomlee.

I don't think Eikmeier has PG ballhandling skills, based on what I saw tonight. He might be able to fill in there but I don't think we'd like him to do that full time.

Last edited by BryceC; 06-22-2008 at 11:17 PM.

Prospect
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Great stuff, thanks!