Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Cyclone42

Need advice on suits

I am looking to buy a really nice suit for interviews and such. I already have some halfway nice ones, but I'm thinking of buying one more-expensive (or, preferably, expensive-looking) suit. I am willing to spend up to $700, but if I can get away with less that would be nice.

I visited a JoS A Banks yesterday, and was told about some kind of "corporate sale" they have coming up this week. They had one "signature" suit that looked really nice, which they claimed was usually priced around $700 which they'd be selling for $300.

I also did some looking around the net, and found some merchants on ebay selling some Baroni suits. Here is an example I picked more-or-less randomly from ebay:

BARONI $1195 MEN 150S SUIT~46R~DARK NAVY W/ BLUE STRIPE - eBay (item 140242082354 end time Jun-23-08 16:25:15 PDT)

So, should I buy locally, or through the net? The advantage of buying locally is safety, and the fact that I would know that it would fit, since I would have them measure me and tailor the suit to my needs. The advantage of buying through ebay or some such is that I might be able to get a better overall value (the example I linked claims to be selling a $1200 suit for $315). I could then take such a suit to a local tailor and have him adjust it accordingly.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Need advice on suits

I wouldn't trust an eBay seller who looks like this:

I bought my one suit from Younkers, so I wouldn't say I have any experience buying nice suits. From my experience with eBay, though, I wouldn't buy a nice suit from there. These are expensive enough that I think there's a high danger of getting a "replica" (a generic knock-off of questionable quality usually from overseas with a namebrand label attached and passed off as the real thing). If you find a gently used or discontinued suit you could probably find a good deal, but not on a new suit. All merchants, brick-and-mortar or online, get their suits from pretty much the same supplier and pay pretty much the same price for it, so I doubt one merchant would magically be able to sell an identical suit for substantially less than another. I guess I'd buy locally from someone with an incentive to treat you right and keep you coming back, than from an eBay seller who might save you 5-10% but you may never see again. Just my rambling $.02.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,297
    Given: 1,128

Mine have always been from Penney's or Younkers, too, so my experience is limited.

I think AIT makes a real good point about the quality potential of the suit on Ebay. I'd want to have some more security with something like this, and I'd feel better knowing that I had tried it on (Don't let my mother know I ever said this!!).

Go with the store, man. It seems a lot safer.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Starter
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Mr. B's in Clive

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

I wear a suit everyday to work. I highly recommend the first place that you look is either one of the bigger younkers (merle hay in dsm, or jordan creek), or better yet dillards at jordan creek. I would check there super discount racks though. I buy almost every suit off the clearance rack. If your size is right you usually can find one in a dark color blue or black. You can certainly find a $500-$600 suit for $200-$300. In my opinion there's no reason for a college student to pay $700 for a suit. Save the money and buy a second if you are going to have a job that requires a suit. If not just buy the one. that being said Mr. B's will take care of you very well if you want to go to a men's store.

Last edited by tec71; 06-21-2008 at 09:23 PM.
    "95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,297
    Given: 1,128

If you can go in with a good coupon and find something on a big-time discount rack, you can really get away with a good price. (This is how mine are purchased)

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Men's Wearhouse on Valley West Drive has some good selections that aren't terribly overpriced. (Menswearhouse.com) Their website is advertising a summer sale right now, too.

Walk On
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

I would recommend staying far away from eBay. Most of those sellers with huge feedback that sell big names at small prices are selling sweat shop-produced knockoffs. They don't fit anything like the real thing and are made of lesser quality materials.
    I own 3 suits; a Hugo Boss, Jos A Bank, and a Joseph Abboud. All are excellent suits. You can also spend some money and get a completely custom designed suit from Brooks Brothers if you like. The KEY things you look for in a suit are the style, the fabric, and the way it looks on you. After you find something you like the biggest step to making it work is finding an exceptional tailor. You can have the most expensive suit in the world but if you have a poor tailor you'll look like a slob.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would recommend buying locally so that you have someone who can fit it for you. You already identified this concern, but I think it is a big one. A $3,000 suit is going to look like crap if it doesn't fit you right.

As far as the prices go, I think you pay more for durability in a lot of cases than you do for looks. If you are just going to use it for interviews then you don't need to spend that much money. My nicest two suits were $300 (local shop in Mankato MN) and $200 (Men's Warehouse). I regularly wear/wore them to work at an attorney's office, court, the capitol, and for my wedding. They still look just as good as any other suits I see out there.

There is a Men's Warehouse in DM just to the west of Valley West Mall. As someone else mentioned, the Dillards in DM is also a good place. If you are a not-so-average size there are often really good clearance deals.

Seneca Wallace.

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Andy’s Analysis – Baroni Suits - Ask Andy FORUMS

There's a review I found of Baroni suits from that eBay seller. He sums it up as:

I would not begin to compare these suits toOxxford, Brioni, Savile row bespoke, or any bespoke.

If you already own such a “high end” suit, you’re not the market for which these suits were designed. And I think Jeff of the Wizard of Aah’s knows that very well.

BUT if you’re used to suits from Macy’s or Men’s Warehouse, you’re going to love one of these suits plus you’ll get more value than a typical warehouse or department store suit for about the same price or less.

The Baroni suits are better constructed that the average Warehouse/Department store suit which can sell for between $695-$895 and often offers lesser quality fabric, cheap fused construction and no tailoring details like pick stitching. Some Department store suits don’t even offer the faux button holes on the sleeves like the Baroni has!

The secret is, as with any suit, the fit. If you’re successful in getting your alterations tailor to fit you well in a Baroni it will look good.

Many jobs require a suit, but if you’re not at the highest level of your company or appearing in the Senate or before the supreme court you probably are not going to invest in $3000 suits. Baroni offers the man in this situation a well constructed suit for a good value.
    I'd still be leery, but it may be worth a shot. BTW, there's a post at the end of that link from the seller saying he'll give you a deal if you mention that suit review site.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

If you are in the Cedar Rapids area Irwins in Marion or Baumans in Mt Vernon are very good locally owned mens clothing stores.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Any college student paying $700 for a suit is an idiot. You can buy a 200-300 dollar suit and look just as good as a high dollar suit.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

I have heard really good things about the suits at Penny's... Unfortuantely, I can't buy anything off the rack, 48XLATL so I wouldn't know...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Walk On
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good place to start...

Like a Million Bucks - Esquire

I agree with the other respondants - the fit matters most!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,228
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

There is nothing wrong with buying a suit off the rack as long as you go have it tailored after the fact. Even if it is only a minor touch up on the tailoring it needs to be done. That to me is the biggest key to a suit, it has to be fit to the individual, the money you spend on the tailoring will be well worth it.

"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH