Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Duke avoids paying Louisville due to terrible football team.

ESPN article

ESPN - Report: Duke free of damages in contract suit with Louisville - College Football

If our program ever got to this point, I don't know what I'd do with myself.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Starter
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Re: Duke avoids paying Louisville due to terrible football team.

Ouch....

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Duke's lawyers argued that the Blue Devils' performance on the field was so poor that any Division I team would suffice as a replacement.
    Wow. The "we suck" defense.

I still don't understand how Duke gets out of this without paying. Part of the reason teams sign contracts is so they don't have to go to the trouble of finding a replacement opponent, especially at the last minute like Louisville will have to do. Plus, Duke is still a BCS team, and they'll generate more interest than a non-BCS team.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Plus, Duke is still a BCS team, and they'll generate more interest than a non-BCS team.
    The reason they got out of payment is because this isn't true. There are 1-AA teams with a higher level of interest than Duke. You really think Western Kentucky fans wouldn't turn out higher than Duke fans, especially with a much shorter travel time? How about Marshall, or a number of MAC schools?

There are quite a few schools with a better football following than Duke.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Our schedules are full through 2015-16, but I wouldn't mind scheduling a multi-year home-and-home deal with Louisville or similar team. They're a decent team, and hopefully in a few years we'll be able to start scheduling tougher non-con opponents without fear of being embarrassed to lose to them.

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    The reason they got out of payment is because this isn't true. There are 1-AA teams with a higher level of interest than Duke. You really think Western Kentucky fans wouldn't turn out higher than Duke fans, especially with a much shorter travel time? How about Marshall, or a number of MAC schools?

There are quite a few schools with a better football following than Duke.
    Duke is probably at the bottom of the BCS schools, but that's still better than most non-BCS schools. Duke's attendance last year was about 20000, W Kentucky's attendance was about 16500. WKU might put a few more butts in the seats, but I'm guessing Duke would provide a lot more TV viewers. You'd have ACC fans watching, plus anybody who just likes seeing Dookies get destroyed.

Play another BCS team, and it makes your schedule look stronger. You can tell people you have a non-conference BCS win (hoping nobody realizes it's just Duke) while the other guy scheduled a 1AA team instead. And if this series involved games at Duke, you can claim road non-conference BCS wins.

If Louisville replaces Duke with a 1AA team, they'll have to deal with the scheduling quirks involved with 1AA teams like bowl eligibility.

I'm not saying Duke is a great match-up, but they're better than a lot of non-BCS alternatives. Louisville could do a little better with their replacement, but they could also do a lot worse, and I don't think Duke should be able to weasel out of their contract without penalty just because they suck.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone2011 View Post
    Our schedules are full through 2015-16, but I wouldn't mind scheduling a multi-year home-and-home deal with Louisville or similar team. They're a decent team, and hopefully in a few years we'll be able to start scheduling tougher non-con opponents without fear of being embarrassed to lose to them.
    Or we could do it now. There's less embarassment in losing to Louisville than there is in losing to Kent State or UNI.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

I think if being so bad can get you out of a contract then they need to be dismissed from the ACC. You can't have it both ways.