Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 65

5 things for ISU MBB success

I was thinking earlier about our MBB team. I think there is an outside chance we could make the post season this year. For that to happen though, these 5 things must be occurr:

1. Shoot the 3. The bottom line is we will have one proven guy who can create off the dribble, and one proven guy who can score on the block. If we are going to score points, allot of them are going to come from the outside. Fortunately, we will have allot of 'shooters' on the floor. Hopefully there are some 'makers' too.

2. Team defense. I don't see anyone who is a true lock-down defender on the team this year. Haluska, Lee, and Staiger will try to fill that role. Lee is a great defender, but is too small to guard many of the bigger wings in the conference, and Haluska and Staiger will lack some size and atheticism. The point is that the team will have to excel at help defense, especially in the low post.

3. Point Guard. I love Petey, but he is not the answer. I see him getting allot of minutes this year, but if we are again relying on him as our primary ball handler we are in big trouble. DG and Buckely have to get it done. We need to be able to make other teams pay for pressuring the ball by getting to the hoop.

4. Freshman Big. One of our freshmen bigs is going to have to step up and give good minutes. Relying on AT, Brackins, and JVB all the time won't work, someone else will have to play good minutes in the post.

5. Go to guy. With Weasley leaving, someone is going to have to step up to be the go-to guy when we need a basket. Will that be DG, Brackins, Lucca, or one of the freshmen? I think DG could be that guy, but he is going to have to prove it night in and night out.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 503
    Given: 455

Re: 5 things for ISU MBB success

This year is prime to exceed expectations! Maybe even sneak into the NIT. No one (not even some of our own) expects us to do a thing.

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 30

1. A great Center
    2. A great PF
    3. A great SF
    4. A great SG
    5. A great PG.

We could start there. We have umm, maybe 1 of those 5 things now.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 6

I just have one:

Score.

I'm worried we won't be able to put enough points on the board. I think GMAC will coach team defense, and we will be ok, but scoring will be tough.

Hope I am wrong!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 0

I think it comes down to this.

1. Garrett must be a lot better. I think he will be.
    2. Lucca has to live up to the hype
    3. Brackins must be a force.
    4. JVB
    5. Rebound

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    I was thinking earlier about our MBB team. I think there is an outside chance we could make the post season this year. For that to happen though, these 5 things must be occurr:

1. Shoot the 3. The bottom line is we will have one proven guy who can create off the dribble, and one proven guy who can score on the block. If we are going to score points, allot of them are going to come from the outside. Fortunately, we will have allot of 'shooters' on the floor. Hopefully there are some 'makers' too.

2. Team defense. I don't see anyone who is a true lock-down defender on the team this year. Haluska, Lee, and Staiger will try to fill that role. Lee is a great defender, but is too small to guard many of the bigger wings in the conference, and Haluska and Staiger will lack some size and atheticism. The point is that the team will have to excel at help defense, especially in the low post.

3. Point Guard. I love Petey, but he is not the answer. I see him getting allot of minutes this year, but if we are again relying on him as our primary ball handler we are in big trouble. DG and Buckely have to get it done. We need to be able to make other teams pay for pressuring the ball by getting to the hoop.

4. Freshman Big. One of our freshmen bigs is going to have to step up and give good minutes. Relying on AT, Brackins, and JVB all the time won't work, someone else will have to play good minutes in the post.

5. Go to guy. With Weasley leaving, someone is going to have to step up to be the go-to guy when we need a basket. Will that be DG, Brackins, Lucca, or one of the freshmen? I think DG could be that guy, but he is going to have to prove it night in and night out.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Who are these proven guys? I have not seen one of our guys PROVE he can score on the block yet

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 815
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

We need everyone to play up to their potential this year, and if they do, then I believe that we might surprise some people.

"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." - Charles Barkley

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Who are these proven guys? I have not seen one of our guys PROVE he can score on the block yet
    Brackins proved at the end of the year he can score down low. Just ask A&M's bigs who had no answer for him.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Brackins proved at the end of the year he can score down low. Just ask A&M's bigs who had no answer for him.
    I agree with the other things you said but you have got to be kidding me here. Brackins proved in one game out of 30 some that he can score on the block? He gotten eaten alive there for 90% of the season. I will ask the other 10 teams in the league who had plenty of answers for him.

I think Brackins is our best player (obviously) and can score on the block, but he has yet to PROVE that he can do it. Fact is he still wanders outside to much. I don't mind him shooting a three or 2 a game but not 8.

Also we don't have anyone who has proved they can get to the lane at will. DG is still to small and couldn't get to the lane on Sunday night at the CCL league. He is quick as can be but still can be kept out of the lane with muscle.

To me the key to our success is one thing. Ball movement. We are not going to beat anyone off the dribble. We need to move the ball quick and be consistently moving out there. That will make up for our lack of athleticism. Good team basketball

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I agree with the other things you said but you have got to be kidding me here. Brackins proved in one game out of 30 some that he can score on the block? He gotten eaten alive there for 90% of the season. I will ask the other 10 teams in the league who had plenty of answers for him.

I think Brackins is our best player (obviously) and can score on the block, but he has yet to PROVE that he can do it. Fact is he still wanders outside to much. I don't mind him shooting a three or 2 a game but not 8.

Also we don't have anyone who has proved they can get to the lane at will. DG is still to small and couldn't get to the lane on Sunday night at the CCL league. He is quick as can be but still can be kept out of the lane with muscle.

To me the key to our success is one thing. Ball movement. We are not going to beat anyone off the dribble. We need to move the ball quick and be consistently moving out there. That will make up for our lack of athleticism. Good team basketball

Hmm, every other account of DG in the CCL has said Garrett has been able to get to the rim whenever he wants.

Craig also played very well against K State down low. His last 3 games of the year 'proved' to me that he can be our guy on the blocks, on the offensive end. I am concerned about his defense still though.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

DG got to the lane the first game. The next game he was horrible. Couldn't get to the lane and when he did bad things happened.

He will still be a starter and one of our better players but he has a lot of proving to do

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

Hmm, every other account of DG in the CCL has said Garrett has been able to get to the rim whenever he wants.

Craig also played very well against K State down low. His last 3 games of the year 'proved' to me that he can be our guy on the blocks, on the offensive end. I am concerned about his defense still though.
    The CCL is equivalent to me playing in a 50 and older YMCA league in the Summer and in the Fall playing in an AAU tournament. Totally different talent level when Garrett plays in the Big XII this Fall.

I am not saying he is not getting better than last year but I would not put a lot of stock in what he does in the CCL. Minimal coaching/structure in the offense/defense compared to the Big XII.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

Quote Originally Posted by ISU4ME View Post
    The CCL is equivalent to me playing in a 50 and older YMCA league in the Summer and in the Fall playing in an AAU tournament. Totally different talent level when Garrett plays in the Big XII this Fall.

I am not saying he is not getting better than last year but I would not put a lot of stock in what he does in the CCL. Minimal coaching/structure in the offense/defense compared to the Big XII.
    True, but if he has trouble in the no defense CCL the physicality of the Big 12 will be rough again.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 251

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    True, but if he has trouble in the no defense CCL the physicality of the Big 12 will be rough again.
    So I haven't seen DG since the last televised game. Has he put on any additional muscle?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydar View Post
    So I haven't seen DG since the last televised game. Has he put on any additional muscle?
    The word is he had gotten stronger, but not much bigger, which isn't s surprise to me. I doubt he will ever be very thick, but he can certainly get stronger.