Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I wish that Pete was here to get us through this.

Johnny Orr, Pete Taylor, Dan McCarney -- the greatest of Cyclones. I wish we had Pete to pay tribute to Dan for what he has done and to give us his words of wisdom as we get through these difficult times and look toward the future.

Let's face it - we aren't firing Jim Criner here. Like Pete, Dan may have worn black/gold in his early years, but he loves ISU as much as any of us.

Best of Luck Dan - thank you for putting us in a position to want/demand more.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Re: I wish that Pete was here to get us through this.

I don't know. Dan has made ruffly 8 million dollars at Iowa State and will earn another 1.1 million with a buyout. He will get a new Defensive Coordinator job almost immediately or even a lower tier head coaching job. I don't feel to bad for Dan. Good guy, Did well for us, I think even old Dan realizes it's time for change for him as a coach and Iowa State University.

Clones Rule

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Great point. Pete would have certainly been involved with this situation. We also missed him during the Larry Eustachy debacle. I believe that he would have been able to mediate that situation and Larry would still be our basketball coach.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not suggesting anyone feel sorry for Dan. We clearly don't know each other's background, but if you were around during the Criner/Walden days, I would think you would have to agree that it was Dan that brought the program back to the point where we could demand more - and ultimately cause us to need to more on.

I was on campus during Criner/early Walden and there is no comparison. It's not the I feel bad for Dan - it's just the end of an era that holds a lot of great memories. At the end of Orr's era, I was in favor on moving on. Even though I thought it was time for a new coach, I have great memories of Johnny Orr - just as I will have great memories of Dan. I'll chose to forgot the bad times!

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2003 View Post
    Great point. Pete would have certainly been involved with this situation. We also missed him during the Larry Eustachy debacle. I believe that he would have been able to mediate that situation and Larry would still be our basketball coach.
    I am very excited about the hire of Coach McDermott.

But I agree with the post. BVDV was a spineless AD. He wouldn't even meet with LE. Pete would have been the go between. I don't think anyone realizes the friendship that existed between Pete and LE. LE took Pete's death very hard. That combined with the Randy Brown situation made a very tough January and February.

That was then, this is now. GO McDermott!

As far a Mac goes, I'm not sure the role Pete would play. We actually have an AD with some back bone to make decisions.

Last edited by VII_Fe; 11-08-2006 at 10:58 AM.