Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 406,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,542
    Points
    406,081
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

    Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball

    Looking at where the college football power schools reside, one thinks of southeat U S including Texas and Californioa - all athletes in waqrmer climates. Some high schoolers come out of Chicago and some from New Jersey. Yet, more football athletes come from warmer climates.

    Looking at college baseball, the College World series in Omaha has Miami, Florida state, NC State, Georgia, Stanford, Fresno, Rice, and Arizona State - all warm winter states.

    Then you look at basketball and see the difference - inner city kids from North appear to dominate the more "rural" kids with California contributing their share.

    So, the warmer climate appears to aid in baseball and football, but it does not affect one's chances if you are an athlete living up North. At the same time, the Northern athletic bball players are probably more willing to go to a "cold" school as they are used to the climates.

    It may be easier to recruit top notch bball than football players to a cold school.

    One cold school anomoly (others are Michigan and Ohio Sytate; Notre dame has been a shambles) is Nebraska has fought the climate problem by pumping up instate Nebraska football players to play on the national stage. However, that has changed as Callahan recruited California kids in the end. It will be interesting who Bo goes after.


    Last edited by Wesley; 06-19-2008 at 02:56 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 489,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    33,031
    Points
    489,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,158
    Given: 822

    Re: Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball

    Uh... OK...

    Principal: Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

    ...

    Lawrence Taylor: Which brings me to my second point, kids. Don't do crack.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,121, Level: 74
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,429
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    3,943
    Points
    57,121
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 46

    Re: Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball

    Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee.


    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 32,785, Level: 55
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CloneFan65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,241
    Points
    32,785
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Looking at college baseball, the College World series in Omaha has Miami, Florida state, NC State, Georgia, Stanford, Fresno, Rice, and Arizona State - all warm winter states.
    I wish they had made it to Omaha this year, but unfortunately the Sun Devils were upset in the Super Regional.


    "THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 119,303, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,767
    Points
    119,303
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball

    I like airplanes.



  6. #6
    POOTMFS
    Points: 89,451, Level: 93
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,785
    Points
    89,451
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball

    I like oatmeal.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 85,495, Level: 90
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    superdorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,948
    Points
    85,495
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball

    I thought this thread was going to be about how baseball is played with a small hard ball and sticks to hit them.

    Basketball has round hoops and a large ball that bounces on the floor and you throw into the hoop.

    Football is played with an odd shaped ball and the players wear pads.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,121, Level: 74
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,429
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    3,943
    Points
    57,121
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 46

    Re: Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball



    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 17,376, Level: 40
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    clonerules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,169
    Points
    17,376
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

    Re: Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    I like airplanes.

    what about rainbows and clay aiken?



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 101,194, Level: 99
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,856
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    HiltonMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,187
    Points
    101,194
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 44

    Re: Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    I like airplanes.
    Do you like them on treadmills?


    Don't confuse hope for a plan.

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 119,402, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,987
    Points
    119,402
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 204

    Re: Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Looking at where the college football power schools reside, one thinks of southeat U S including Texas and Californioa - all athletes in waqrmer climates. Some high schoolers come out of Chicago and some from New Jersey. Yet, more football athletes come from warmer climates.

    Looking at college baseball, the College World series in Omaha has Miami, Florida state, NC State, Georgia, Stanford, Fresno, Rice, and Arizona State - all warm winter states.

    Then you look at basketball and see the difference - inner city kids from North appear to dominate the more "rural" kids with California contributing their share.

    So, the warmer climate appears to aid in baseball and football, but it does not affect one's chances if you are an athlete living up North. At the same time, the Northern athletic bball players are probably more willing to go to a "cold" school as they are used to the climates.

    It may be easier to recruit top notch bball than football players to a cold school.

    One cold school anomoly (others are Michigan and Ohio Sytate; Notre dame has been a shambles) is Nebraska has fought the climate problem by pumping up instate Nebraska football players to play on the national stage. However, that has changed as Callahan recruited California kids in the end. It will be interesting who Bo goes after.
    Callahan initially recruited a ton of talent to Nebraska because of his assistant at the time - John Blake, the ex-Oklahoma coach. Blake, for some reason, is a recruiting genius. Blake moved on after a couple of years, to somewhere out east (the school I don't recall). Callahan subsequently didn't recruit worth a darn.
    We should have taken a big hunk of the large assistants' salaries budget that Jamie handed to Chizik and tried to hire Blake.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 489,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    33,031
    Points
    489,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,158
    Given: 822

    Re: Basketball is Different than College Football and Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Callahan initially recruited a ton of talent to Nebraska because of his assistant at the time - John Blake, the ex-Oklahoma coach. Blake, for some reason, is a recruiting genius. Blake moved on after a couple of years, to somewhere out east (the school I don't recall). Callahan subsequently didn't recruit worth a darn.
    We should have taken a big hunk of the large assistants' salaries budget that Jamie handed to Chizik and tried to hire Blake.
    I'm going to disagree with you on this point because I think one of the appeals for Chizik coming to ISU was the fact that JP was handing him complete control of the football program to him - to include hiring the assistants that he wanted. I'd say it's working so far, now's not the time to begin questioning whether Chizik has the right assistants in place.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM