Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Best tailgating Stories

Lately I've been thinking about football season and the other great part of it as in the Tailgating that comes with it. And I was just curious if any of you out there had some great tailgating stories. I know I have a ton of them , but most of them happened "before" I was married. One I do recall very well was either in '99 or 2000 when we beat Iowa and the student tailgating section was right up by the stadium and after the game some people started a fire right there in the parking lot and they were tossing couches and what not on the fire and all the dps did was stand there and watch it. I was still underage then and ended up drinking there with some hotty DPS girl that was in uniform. We got soooo wasted, I'm pretty sure she lost her job after that night. But she was fun!

Please feel free to share any stories.

I can't wait for football season !!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 6

Re: Best tailgating Stories

It was a year we played Iowa and the Iowa equipment semi was driving by the student lot and hit the horn. Then the light turned red at the intersection and the truck was stopped and as soon as that happen it seemed liked every ISU fan there turned and threw their beer at the semi and traylor. It was great and one of the more memorail things I remember seeing.

Kyle S. Flander

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

One of my favorite stories is when Iowa came to Ames ranked 8th a few years ago and they were driving by my house on Beach ave on their way to the stadium. The bus had to stop for a few minutes right infront of the house. My friends and I let them have it like they have never heard before. I saw the look on Tate's face, he must have thought we were crazy. Of course we went on to win the game and I believe it all happened because they were intimidated the second they got to ames. Okay probably not but it is fun to think so.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

easy for me.

the Colorado game a couple of years ago in which our mascot decided to make an appearence.

inebriation, fear, elation.

pretty much sums up the night.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 86

K-State game in '05. One of the guys in our tailgate crew had this crazy, obnoxious, and stupid brother. We had thrown a keg the night before, and were running on about 3hrs sleep. We were still drunk when we got to the grass lots. Anyways, we start playing beer pong, and people are getting cocky, filling their cups up, etc. So we decide to put a penalty cup in each team's rack that was half full of vodka. So of course, the crazy brother, who is already inappropriately drunk hits the vodka cup. Chugs it. 10 minutes later, he tells us he needs a ticket, so we point him in the direction of the ticket office. As he heads towards Elwood he just runs into the fence and falls over. We laugh, he heads onward. Basically, we completely forget about the kid (including his own brother) keep partying, head to the game, watch us thrash KSU, etc. As we're leaving the game, the kid gets a new voicemail. It was from his brother. He was in Nevada for puking on some family's tailgate en route to the ticket office.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

This one time - in G7 - we tailgated all day but didn't have many chairs. So - we just stood around and drank beer.

It was soooooo cool.

All-Star
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 903
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 62

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    easy for me.

the Colorado game a couple of years ago in which our mascot decided to make an appearence.

inebriation, fear, elation.

pretty much sums up the night.
    Agreed. I think there was 10 hours of drinking time before that one.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by jodysoma View Post
    Lately I've been thinking about football season and the other great part of it as in the Tailgating that comes with it. And I was just curious if any of you out there had some great tailgating stories. I know I have a ton of them , but most of them happened "before" I was married. One I do recall very well was either in '99 or 2000 when we beat Iowa and the student tailgating section was right up by the stadium and after the game some people started a fire right there in the parking lot and they were tossing couches and what not on the fire and all the dps did was stand there and watch it. I was still underage then and ended up drinking there with some hotty DPS girl that was in uniform. We got soooo wasted, I'm pretty sure she lost her job after that night. But she was fun!

Please feel free to share any stories.

I can't wait for football season !!!!!

i remember said fire and also lived with some of the parties involved. there were many tie-ins with that fire that i still have to keep secret for many reasons. i've got a million tailgating stories, unfortunately i can't share about 999,999 of them on a public message board.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 116

It was pretty cool last year before the UNI game to have to pretty good looking co-eds come out of the porta jon holding hands and kissing each other. Caused a lot of us standing there to just kind of look at each other and trade some grins.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Back when the students were in S1, we loaded up our bar and brought it to the lot early for a Thursday night game. We were the first ones in the lot (all of us skipped classes). A black official-looking SUV pulled up to our bar and we figured that we were in trouble. Out hops Gene Smith...he just was excited that we were already there and asked if there was anything we needed. Pretty cool.

We were playing iowa in maybe 1999 and some old beater car painted all hawkeye decided to drive down through S1. I've never seen so much beer and cans thrown.

Same year, someone in the next lot over decided to hoist a hawk flag. One student stole the flag and was chased by it's owner back to the student lot. Cyclone fans proceeded to burn the flag while a couple of guys held the flag owner so he couldn't stomp it out. I also totally destroyed someone's lifesize cardboard cutout of ORF that day!

Played CU in 2001 and some CU student was running through S7 with a buff flag. A couple of ISU students grabbed the flag and ATE it.

We were sitting in S7 (student lot at the time) and passing around the beer bong. Who walks up to us, but Batman and Robin in full costume. Batman proceeds to walk straight to the bong, drop to his knees and start bonging. Man, I wish I had a camera for that one.

Nebraska 2002, we were parked right next to the ISU rugby team, who made all of their rookies wear dresses for the day. That was a funny sight.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    easy for me.

We were ****** that we got kicked out of the stadium, but SF, myself and a few others proceeded to walk around the tailgate lot making "Public Serivce Announcements" that the National Weather Service had issued a CYCLONE warning for the area, and generally keeping the crowd pumped up.

I lost my voice before the game even started.
    COMPLETELY worth it

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by bmuff View Post
    Back when the students were in S1, we loaded up our bar and brought it to the lot early for a Thursday night game. We were the first ones in the lot (all of us skipped classes). A black official-looking SUV pulled up to our bar and we figured that we were in trouble. Out hops Gene Smith...he just was excited that we were already there and asked if there was anything we needed. Pretty cool.

We were playing iowa in maybe 1999 and some old beater car painted all hawkeye decided to drive down through S1. I've never seen so much beer and cans thrown.

Same year, someone in the next lot over decided to hoist a hawk flag. One student stole the flag and was chased by it's owner back to the student lot. Cyclone fans proceeded to burn the flag while a couple of guys held the flag owner so he couldn't stomp it out. I also totally destroyed someone's lifesize cardboard cutout of ORF that day!

Played CU in 2001 and some CU student was running through S7 with a buff flag. A couple of ISU students grabbed the flag and ATE it.

We were sitting in S7 (student lot at the time) and passing around the beer bong. Who walks up to us, but Batman and Robin in full costume. Batman proceeds to walk straight to the bong, drop to his knees and start bonging. Man, I wish I had a camera for that one.

Nebraska 2002, we were parked right next to the ISU rugby team, who made all of their rookies wear dresses for the day. That was a funny sight.

ok. that made me laugh.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I have more:
    Back when I was in undergrad, there was a group of guys that had shirts that just said "BEER". They had a goalpost set up and you were supposed to kick empties through the posts. One time, the bike cop stopped by to kick. A couple of students stole his bike while he wasn't looking and kicked in the spokes. I also remember Keith Murphy kicking an empty in Phoenix for the Insight Bowl.

We used to have a 1947 firetruck for tailgating. We had the firetruck, a bar w/ stripper pole and our beer bong was an old flamingo lawn ornament. Lots of stories that can't be mentioned.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

We used to have a homemade Cy rain gauge that some people might stick in their yard to measure rain - we decided it would make a great shot glass.

Pretty much any Iowa game in Ames has been a riot - sometimes literally. In 97 when Dwight and Company beat us like a rented mule, we stayed in the lot and drank like I've never drank before. We picked up two of our crew the next morning from the clink.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

My favorite tailgate was probably the one with the tornado. I don't know why but a piece of me was looking forward to witnessing the utter chaos that would ensue if a tornado ripped through a college tailgate party.