Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 38

Re: extinct animals

I've been thinking about the whole endangered and extinct animals thing. My thought is that species become extinct at the expense of human population growth. We destroy their habitats to make room for ourselves in other words. Now, you could take any other species on earth that isn't human, and they would do the same thing. If wolves could, and their population grew enough, they would cause other species, including humans, to become extinct as they invade their habitats to make room for themselves.

My point is...as a species of our own, are we not "born" to reproduce and make our species grow? Although seeing species become extinct is sad, and I have no problem helping prevent it to a certain extent, I still think it is a natural process. As certain populations grow, others shrink at their expense. This has been going on far longer than man has walked the earth, and will probably happen to us eventually. Although it will more than likely be caused by overpopulating, rather than a different species "overtaking" us.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 299

As shown in this artist's rendering, not all mammals were afraid of the dinosaurs. In 2005, Chinese scientists reported the discovery a 130 million-year-old, opossum-sized mammal with the remains of a young dinosaur in its belly. Nearby, the scientists found a 3-foot long mammal that probably weighed more than 30 pounds, putting it in a class of its own as a formidable dinosaur predator. Why these early mammals went extinct remains a mystery.

Mystery solved. Dinosaurs as the meal also disappeared.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 674

i believe species go extinct because they don't taste good. We seem to keep those on this planet that taste good.

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Overspecialization is usually the key to extinction. There are species of spiders that are specialized so much, they can only exist in three small water puddles in a cave in the American Southwest. National Geographic did an article of how tragic it would be if they became extinct.

Tragic??? Inevitable, I get. But tragic sounds stupid. If man didn't exist, pretty much the same numbers of species would become extinct, all the time. The current craze about preventing some slightly different version of a common animal from going extinct just boggles my mind.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Overspecialization is usually the key to extinction. There are species of spiders that are specialized so much, they can only exist in three small water puddles in a cave in the American Southwest. National Geographic did an article of how tragic it would be if they became extinct.

Tragic??? Inevitable, I get. But tragic sounds stupid. If man didn't exist, pretty much the same numbers of species would become extinct, all the time. The current craze about preventing some slightly different version of a common animal from going extinct just boggles my mind.
    You just might care if bees become extinct. Many have said we'd all be dead if bees became extinct.

Walk On
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I am still ****** about the Dinosaurs becoming extinct long time ago. I would have loved to see them and have stupid goofy pet names for them. Maybe even adopt one of those. LOL

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

I took my 3 year old daughter to the Indianapolis Children’s Museum to see the dinosaur exhibit. As far as dinosaur exhibits go it was pretty large and impressive. However, my daughter was severely disappointed. She was hoping to see live dinosaurs so I had to explain extinction to her.

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFAN80 View Post
    I am still ****** about the Dinosaurs becoming extinct long time ago. I would have loved to see them and have stupid goofy pet names for them. Maybe even adopt one of those. LOL

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFAN80 View Post
    Haven't you been to Jurassic Park yet? That place is awesome.

Have you guys ever heard of the story of Passenger Pigeons. They used to fly in flocks over a billion but because of hunting these pigeons lost their flock size and it is believed that they died off because they couldn't survive in small flocks. They required hundreds of thousands of them in their flock to survive.

Passenger Pigeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    You just might care if bees become extinct. Many have said we'd all be dead if bees became extinct.
    While bee populations are down this year, I don't think anyone is saying they will become "extinct". There are plenty of bees where I live.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,226
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    As shown in this artist's rendering, not all mammals were afraid of the dinosaurs. In 2005, Chinese scientists reported the discovery a 130 million-year-old, opossum-sized mammal with the remains of a young dinosaur in its belly. Nearby, the scientists found a 3-foot long mammal that probably weighed more than 30 pounds, putting it in a class of its own as a formidable dinosaur predator. Why these early mammals went extinct remains a mystery.

Mystery solved. Dinosaurs as the meal also disappeared.
    Hilarious!