Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 156

Getting Older

So Sunday was the big 2-7 for me. Got to double up with Father's Day so it was a fun day all around. Later in the day I stopped and visited my 85 year old grandfather-in-law in the nursing home who is physically not able to do a lot of things he used to, and now to the point where getting out of his chair requires help. Mentally, he is still "there" to the point that he can carry on a pretty good conversation, but will repete himself several times.
    He said something that stuck with me though, and that was "getting old ain't easy, even after a lot of practice"
    I've been thinking about getting old quite a bit, especially as I creep closer to the dreaded 30.
    I'm noticing already that some things don't come as easily as they used to, mainly recovery after working out. I hang out at the bar with a group of guys in their mid 40's, and they don't seem so old. A 21-year old woman sounds pretty young to me now, and when I make references to movies that were popular when I was in high school, some guys that I coach haven't even heard of the movie.
    My question is how is age treating everyone. I know we have a wide variety of people on this board. Anything you miss being able to do? Being able to get away with? Maybe you love getting older. I don't mind it, but being in that nursing home made me realize we aren't young forever.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

Re: Getting Older

Eh, I am not too worse for wear but physically would rather be 25 again. I will let you know the next time I play basketball... (Its been a few years so it may kill me). Having a toddler helps - lots of running, crawling and jumping around.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

My 30th was Saturday... That was kinda depressing... Leaving my 20's behind.

Don't get me wrong... I have a great life and wouldn't trade it for anything, it just makes you think.

I did get treated to an excellent dinner/surprise party at Latin King... So that was awesome.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I hear you on having a toddler. Definitely keeps me on my toes. We go from a 2 on 1 to a man-to-man here in less than 7 weeks so that will probably help even more.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ah, me too! I'm guessing two boys will keep me young for a number of years!

I couldnt have done it at your age - wasnt ready. Best of luck to you and your wife!

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I turned 45 last month, and getting older is treating me like a dog treats a fire hydrant. Mysterious clicks and pops when getting out of bed, hair in unusual places, spicy food that stays with me for days... the list goes on and on. The nice thing is, getting older does have its benefits. I can go outside wearing brown loafers, black socks and plaid shorts and no one pays any attention. Leaving my blinker on is now just part of life. Ten more short years and AARP discounts, here I come! In all seriousness, I can't do the things physically that I could 20 years ago, but that is expected. Not all of us are going to be able to maintain our vertical leap into our forties. Spending two hours in the gym sometimes ceases to be an option when there is baseball practice, dance class, helping with homework, and a myriad of other things that take precedence to another set of reps come into play. I have developed a bit of a spare tire over the years, but I wouldn't trade rock-hard abs for missing my daughter's dance recital or my son's baseball games. Now that my kids are grown to the point where they deny the fact that they actually have parents, I can start trying to put things that have fallen on my body back where they are supposed to be. I have no illusions that when I turn 50 I will have a body that will turn coed's heads, but I am doing everything I can to keep my mind sharp and my body in reasonably good shape.

Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead. - Thomas Paine

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acs4isu View Post
    I turned 45 last month, and getting older is treating me like a dog treats a fire hydrant. Mysterious clicks and pops when getting out of bed, hair in unusual places, spicy food that stays with me for days... the list goes on and on. The nice thing is, getting older does have its benefits. I can go outside wearing brown loafers, black socks and plaid shorts and no one pays any attention. Leaving my blinker on is now just part of life. Ten more short years and AARP discounts, here I come! In all seriousness, I can't do the things physically that I could 20 years ago, but that is expected. Not all of us are going to be able to maintain our vertical leap into our forties. Spending two hours in the gym sometimes ceases to be an option when there is baseball practice, dance class, helping with homework, and a myriad of other things that take precedence to another set of reps come into play. I have developed a bit of a spare tire over the years, but I wouldn't trade rock-hard abs for missing my daughter's dance recital or my son's baseball games. Now that my kids are grown to the point where they deny the fact that they actually have parents, I can start trying to put things that have fallen on my body back where they are supposed to be. I have no illusions that when I turn 50 I will have a body that will turn coed's heads, but I am doing everything I can to keep my mind sharp and my body in reasonably good shape.
    You had a verticle?

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    You had a verticle?
    It has decreased over the years. In my prime, it was almost 7". Now it's down to like... four.

Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead. - Thomas Paine

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I'm 25 now, married 2 years, 1st child on the way.

The one thing I will complain about Adam Sanlder warned me about in Big Daddy, Metabolism. I can't eat like I use to and I didn't realize that until it was about 20 lbs to late. Now I can't drop the weight.

Plus the hangovers hurt more then they use to and I can't go on 3 or 4 day benders anymore.

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    I couldnt have done it at your age - wasnt ready. Best of luck to you and your wife!
    My wife and I knew each other since kindergarten and dated since our soph year of HS so there wasn't too much more time needed to enjoy each other before having kids. We're actually behind several of the people we went to HS with. One couple is due with their 4th at the same time we are due with #2.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Biologically you peak at 27. The lungs go downhill, the heart does not pump as much, the muscles are not as fluid, the strength has to be worked at to keep, your body may not heal as fast. Man, you are right to think about it. Quit drinking beer and start jogging now before it is 20 pounds too late. Your body is the vessel God has given you. Preserve it. The oldest woman in the world recently died at 115 - they asked her what kept her mind sharpo till the end as she died from stomach cancer - she said eat pickled herring.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyGuy33 View Post
    Plus the hangovers hurt more then they use to and I can't go on 3 or 4 day benders anymore.
    Ah yes, the hangovers. In the last year, I have had some of the worst I have ever had, and I know I'm drinking a lot less than I used to when I go out. Its got a lot more to do with going out MAYBE once a month. My bro-in-law's wedding is this weekend so I imagine Sunday I will be complaining about the same thing.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Quit drinking beer
    What is this blasphemy?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 491

Quote Originally Posted by CyGuy33 View Post
    I'm 25 now, married 2 years, 1st child on the way.

The one thing I will complain about Adam Sanlder warned me about in Big Daddy, Metabolism. I can't eat like I use to and I didn't realize that until it was about 20 lbs to late. Now I can't drop the weight.

I agree with most of this here - the only problem is I never had a metabolism to begin with. You know how they talk about the freshman 10? For me it was a freshman 30. And a sophomore 30. And a junior 10. And a senior 10.

I turn 30 towards the end of this year and now I'm desperately trying to get the weight off because I know that once the kids come (and they're not that far off) and what little metabolism I actually do have goes by the wayside it's going to be next to impossible for me to get rid of the weight. What also really makes it rough is I'm a slacker by nature. I can find almost any excuse in the world not to work out - I have to psych myself up to actually work out.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Sometimes the truth hurts. Stop drinking beer and get with the red wine regimen for better health.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.