Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 16

Suggestions for Basement remodel

Right now we have a couple of mostly finished (everything but the flooring) rooms that are about 10X12 in our basement that share a wall with a few studs and a couple sheets of drywall with no insulation. We would like to knock out this wall and make one big family/game room. Because it is a basement wall I am hesitant to just go crazy on it before I know for sure it isn't supporting anything major even though it isn't a cement wall.

I would also like to do as much as possible by myself and at least do the flooring part of it and the destruction for the wall (and possibly putting in support poles if necessary). Any suggestions for a plan of attack here?

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,442
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Re: Suggestions for Basement remodel

you just need to look directly above the wall, and you should be able to see if it is load bearing.

If you don't know how to tell, I would recommend hiring a contractor to take car of that part for you.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,724
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    you just need to look directly above the wall, and you should be able to see if it is load bearing.

If you don't know how to tell, I would recommend hiring a contractor to take car of that part for you.
    You mean after I knock the drywall out? Right now everything is drywalled so I can't tell whether it is load bearing or not...or did you mean on the first floor?

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

Walk On
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 11

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Yeah take all of the drywall off first to see what you are up against. If the wall you want to remove is running parallel with the floor joist above you should be fine. If the wall you want to remove is running perpendicular with the floor joist above and it is located in the middle of the span then you need to procede with caution. What type of floor joist are they (I-joist, regular lumber, engineered floor trusses)?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bhoodjer View Post
    Yeah take all of the drywall off first to see what you are up against. If the wall you want to remove is running parallel with the floor joist above you should be fine. If the wall you want to remove is running perpendicular with the floor joist above and it is located in the middle of the span then you need to procede with caution. What type of floor joist are they (I-joist, regular lumber, engineered floor trusses)?
    Gotcha...I don't know what type of joist they are...it's an old home (1910) so at some point the basement was updated. Our laundry room doesn't have drywall on the ceiling...would you assume that all the floor joists in the basement go the same direction?

Last edited by tigershoops31; 06-17-2008 at 08:32 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    You mean after I knock the drywall out? Right now everything is drywalled so I can't tell whether it is load bearing or not...or did you mean on the first floor?
    If you can't see your ceiling / floor joists that are supporting your first floor, then you will need to remove some drywall to check if it's bearing or not.

Under good practice, any member that is being supported by a bearing wall should be fastened to that wall with nails. As I said, this is good practice. So a good clear sign that your wall is bearing is if as stated before, the joists run perpendicular to the wall, and that they are attached to the wall with nails. There may be the case that the walls acts as bearing and the the joists only rest on that wall. In that case it's the matter of making a judgement call. If the wall is about 12'-0" from any other supporting wall, and the joists run perpendicular to that wall, the chances are that it's bearing due to the clear span that the joists are having to cover.

Hope that answers your question.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Gotcha...I don't know what type of joist they are...it's an old home (1910) so at some point the basement was updated. Our laundry room doesn't have drywall on the ceiling...would you assume that all the floor joists in the basement go the same direction?
    Just saw this.

The orientation of the floor joists is base on the shape of your house. Do you have a fireplace or any cantilevers that are unsupported by a foundation wall that you can tell from the outside of your house? If the answer is yes, find the direction that your joists are running, and if they are not spanning the direction that your cantilever runs, then chances are your joists change direction. Thats the best and easiest indication. There could be a case of others, but best framing practices are to keep everything running the same direction as much as possible.

You joists are probably typical 2x10's if your home was built in 1910. Any additions may have something different.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,442
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

With a home that old I would almost assume that it is load bearing. Are there any of structures, walls or pillars? That you know are load bearing and you are not sure about that one?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    With a home that old I would almost assume that it is load bearing. Are there any of structures, walls or pillars? That you know are load bearing and you are not sure about that one?
    Well the thing is all of the other walls are concrete while this one is just a couple sheets of drywall hung on a few studs as far as I can tell. Since this one is different I thought maybe it was just added later to separate it into two rooms.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

DIY projects can be a great way to save money and have even more "ownership" over your home. In some cases, DIY projects can leave you in a world of hurt.

This could be one of them. As noted, have a licensed contractor come out, inspect the wall and even handle the demo. That way it's their fault if something goes wrong.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,753
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 4

My suggestion is to make as many friends as possible in the construction/contractor/electrician/plumbing/heating industries. I have done this over the years and have even had my sisters marry into knowledgeable people. While this may not benefit you in this particular situation, it pays off exponentially in the long run.

All I have to do is offer some beer and a good dinner to fix problems like this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RyCy04 View Post
    My suggestion is to make as many friends as possible in the construction/contractor/electrician/plumbing/heating industries. I have done this over the years and have even had my sisters marry into knowledgeable people. While this may not benefit you in this particular situation, it pays off exponentially in the long run.

All I have to do is offer some beer and a good dinner to fix problems like this.
    Yeah that's not a bad policy...my brother and I both worked some construction back in the college days and my wife's brothers and dad are pretty handy so I usually have plenty of help After talking to my brother though we were thinking we should get some extra information on this one so my living room doesn't fall into my basement.

On a sidenote, I'm assuming by "had my sisters marry into some knowledgeable people" you meant you were lucky that they married some guys that knew their stuff and not that you arranged the marriages

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,753
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 4

On a sidenote, I'm assuming by "had my sisters marry into some knowledgeable people" you meant you were lucky that they married some guys that knew their stuff and not that you arranged the marriages
    A little from column A, a little from column B.