Thread: Vista issues

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 61

Vista issues

Has anyone had any major issues with Vista lately? For some reason, it keeps freezing on me, forcing me to it the power button to restart it, which causes more start up issues.

I've had this laptop since December and just now started having this issue. Just wondered if anyone else is having the same problem or knows how to fix it.

42-53 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

Re: Vista issues

I got my laptop in December as well, and no problems here. Vista has been just as reliable as XP for me, and much purtier. I know everyone hates Vista, but I don't have a reason to...yet.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

Did you update any drivers recently?

I know on my acer desktop, it has a SATA hard drive on a motherboard which runs with NVIDIA drivers, and the drivers from NVIDIA were freezing Vista. I had to install drivers for that from Windows Update.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post
    Did you update any drivers recently?

I know on my acer desktop, it has a SATA hard drive on a motherboard which runs with NVIDIA drivers, and the drivers from NVIDIA were freezing Vista. I had to install drivers for that from Windows Update.
    I tried doing the windows updates on Thursday night and this is when this all started. Not sure if there is a website to get some new updates, but the ones that it keeps trying to install, continue to freeze the computer.

42-53 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

What are the updates? If any of them are device drivers.. at this point I'd avoid them.

At the very least, if there are still problems, I'd say try to do a system restore to last week or so.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post
    What are the updates? If any of them are device drivers.. at this point I'd avoid them.

At the very least, if there are still problems, I'd say try to do a system restore to last week or so.
    I've tried the System Restore and it says there is some bad file on the C drive that won't allow me to do it after I select the date that I want to restore to.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

No problems with Vista for me So I can't relate to your specific issue. (for some general tips, see the links below)

This is not directed at the original poster - but speaking of Vista, I personally do not fully understand this general uproar against it. I kind of do, but it shouldn't be Microsoft's fault.

I consider myself an IT guy. I just graduated with an MIS degree, have worked in IT for over 4 years and just started a new job in an IT department. I freakin love Vista! Maybe it's just because I know my way around a computer, I don't know.

When I or my friends get a new Vista PC - first thing that needs to be done is a fresh format. All these manufacturers screw people over by throwing as much crap on these PC's...it's ridiculous. My buddy just got a new dell and the first time I fired it up...it was disgusting. Sure enough, after a fresh format, the thing is running like a gem and is the fastest thing he's ever seen. And that's how all new machines with Vista should be. It's a fast operating system and if you have it on a new (or somewhat new) machine and you run Windows Updates, you should never (or at least rarely) have issues (unless it's driver related, which thankfully I have not had to deal with).

Here's some good articles on Vista that just might help some clear up some issues for the original poster... it's also a good read for any Vista haters or those who just need to be pointed in the right direction

Fixing Windows Vista, one machine at a time | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

Fixing Windows Vista, Part 2: Taming UAC | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

Fixing Windows Vista, Part 3: Top Troubleshooting Tools | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

Fixing Windows Vista, Part 4: Get smart about services | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 162

My parents have Vista and have been having a minor problem with it. Sometimes, the screen would go black and they would have to restart. I think it's fixed now, but every once in a while it will go blank.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

I hate my vista as well...It seems like when I open Ares and download songs or play music from it, my bottom taskbar turns black at the bottom right and the time freezes. It drives me nuts. Sometimes flash player makes Internet explorer restart but it doesn't do that very much anymore.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    ..when I open Ares and download songs or play music from it...
    There's your first problem Frostwire is the only way to go for downloading music (essentially the free version of Limewire Pro)
    FrostWire.com - Official Website - Free BitTorrent/Gnutella Client - No subscriptions, Just download and install

And get yourself a music player while you're at it...Winamp, iTunes, Windows Media Player...anything but the program you use to illegally download music

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 27

The prob with vista for me was just that it was so freakin slow! I would copy 1G of pictures from 1 drive to another and it would take 5 min. I moved to XP and it takes 20 seconds. I am an IT manager, and our company is not moving to vista well, ever. At least not until we are forced to many years from now.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I've tried the System Restore and it says there is some bad file on the C drive that won't allow me to do it after I select the date that I want to restore to.
    And therein lies the problem. Vista refuses to "forget" the bad things that have happened. I think it automatically stores up the bugs and crappy stuff that happens, and restores it every time you try to get it to work.

I have a flight sim that I've uninstalled three or four different times, and it keeps restoring the faults when I reinstall a "clean" copy.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ok I got a little bit more help tonight.

I was able to find this error in the Event Logs section, and I'm guessing this is the reason I'm having my issues. Here is the error:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043c from line 45 of d:\rtm\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.
    Of course it would cost me $60 to talk to Microsoft, so I'm not doing that. I just went and bought an external hard drive and I'm leaning towards putting all my files on that, then completely resetting the computer back to the factory settings, which would erase all my files.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thought I'd bump this back up there....looking for any suggestions...

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    Ok I got a little bit more help tonight.

I was able to find this error in the Event Logs section, and I'm guessing this is the reason I'm having my issues. Here is the error:

Of course it would cost me $60 to talk to Microsoft, so I'm not doing that. I just went and bought an external hard drive and I'm leaning towards putting all my files on that, then completely resetting the computer back to the factory settings, which would erase all my files.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    I would suggest dumping EVERYTHING that you created, or opened with the bad version of VISTA.

VISTA sometimes embeds the flaws into your files, and they are contaminated, forever.

Or so sayeth the customer support guy I spoke to for 2.5 hours before he told me "there's nothing you can do".

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details