Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

73 days to kickoff questions

QB: Some say if you have 2 QBs you dont have any. I hope in ISU's case both are as good as advertised. Is Bates that good that it is a toss up between him and AA. AA has been in a college system for 2 springs now and around college football for longer. He has played some mins at QB in games. It is Bates 1st spring and he has made it a true fight for QB. One would think AA would take a big step to win this spot but that hasnt happened. I think either will be a good QB. AA was impessive in game and looked like a true leader.

RB: true there are 3 good RBs returning, but all 3 had problems last year. None could stay healthy. Scales has a history of injuries. Bass didnt practice all spring. ARob was good once he was healthy, if he can hold onto the ball. 3 RBs is good, if they start faster this year than last, and other coming in the RB spot should be OK.

TE: starting over but it looks to be an upgrade.

WR: Will be better than OK here

Oline: Guys changing spots, young guys pushing starters. New young guys are going to start. Scarry but if they improve as group like they did last year this will be a bright spot.

Kicker: who knows but really, not much is needed to upgrade this.

Dline: inside unproven that is scary since Rubin was an animal out there and covered up weaknesses.

DE: Will be OK here. If Parker starts as good as he finished could be the strong point of the D.

LB: Lossing a lot. The heart and soul of the D for 2 years for one. Smith inside was an animal at the end of last year but is he ready to be the man the O wants to block now that Bowen is gone? Very unproven outside.

DBs: At CB the team will be ok, but can they stay healthy? Will they find another S besides Brown and Brown does have some weaknesses. It has been a few years since ISU has been strong here. A lot of questions around the S spot.

Punter: Should be ok here if he gets more constiant.

KR/PR: All most anything is better than Blythe fair catching punts. Will someone be able to break one? KR got better as the year went on but it still needs work. Will that happen?

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 0

Re: 73 days to kickoff questions

I agree with you for the most part, but I am worried about the WR's as well. Chizik's quotes around the spring game didn't make me feel super comfortable and we need the newcomers (Carlson and Johnson) to step in and really make an impact. It's tough to count on that.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 226

A good strong running game will make all the difference in the world on both sides of the ball.

Go Cyclones!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 127

I've come down some from my high about the OLine. My instincts tell me the potential is there for much better things in the future, but decades of watching college football instruct me that these things take time. Winning with a frosh/soph OLine is a tall order, isn't it? Anyway. . . .

Offense: QB and the OLine are my chief worries as a fan. Not because we don't have some Big 12 players in these slots, but because they're all so young. Inexperienced. There will be rough spots in 2008, don't see how that's avoidable. Now, by 2009. . . .

Defense: The interior DLs have been in the program a while, the coaches didn't appear to try to recruit over them in February (were we after any JUCO DLs last recruiting cycle?) Maybe this is an indication we'll be OK here (or maybe I'm whistling past the graveyard, how to tell at this point?)

As a fan, guess my top concern is the youth at linebacker. Coach McFarland says the lbers will be darn fast, but inexperienced. Fine core of experience at DB with some key newcomers, it appears. Can't wait to see what Banks, Benton and Johnson can add immediately to the nickel and dime coverages game.

Special teams: Lots of newcomers playing here, too? Scary and exciting at the same time, right?

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Good write up.

I still feel as if it is Arnaud's to lose and will be quite surprised to see anybody but him start the first game.

I don't feel good about our WR's. Us fans have said for the last 3 years that our WR's were the strongest part of our team and yet they have never lived up to it. Fact is we don't have great athletes at this position. Hopefully Sed J can come in and play right away and give us that break away threat that we need. I really feel as if Wallace Franklin can be a big play threat for us as well. Look for Sumrall to catch nothing but slants and ding passes.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

there should be excitement for the future of the WR position, there are not many times ISU has had a 4* recruit coming in at WR. and Carlson, Carlson has got some wheels. Purely hype and speculation right now, but that should provide excitement for our WR's. Not to mention a very solid Marquis Hamilton and RJ Sumrall return.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 154

Quote Originally Posted by ISUclones33 View Post
    there should be excitement for the future of the WR position, there are not many times ISU has had a 4* recruit coming in at WR. and Carlson, Carlson has got some wheels. Purely hype and speculation right now, but that should provide excitement for our WR's. Not to mention a very solid Marquis Hamilton and RJ Sumrall return.
    Hamilton really impressed me last year, and Sumrall has been a very consistent hands guy through his career. The thing is Hamilton isn't quite a burner, but if we get a speedster/big play threat out of Franklin, Johnson, or Carlson, then our offense will be opened up immensly, with Hamilton being the overall go-to guy. I've stated earlier that this is the kind of thing that is necessary for us to reach bowl eligiblity, and I still feel that way.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 691
    Given: 68

Arnaud will start, Bates will get minutes. Both are better than Meyer IMO. Just need experience. Bates makes plays. He could take over for Arnaud if AA stumbles out of the gate.

DL will be okay. Remember that a couple years ago that Nate Frere was starting as a true freshman. Now he is trying to compete for playing time as an upperclassman. That would signify that we have probably upgraded overall at DL. I got the impression that the coaching staff was comfortable enough with the personnel we have.

LB, Jesse Smith is solid. Bibbs gained a lot of experience, and Raven wasn't too bad. We will miss Bowen and Banks. But mix in Garrin, Schmidgall, and Bell and we should have enough bodies to be okay.

Safety, James Smith is a playmaker with speed and he is pretty solid. Chris Brown played pretty well last year. Plus we have a few newcomers like Banks and a couple others that played that we should at least be serviceable or better. Better than last year IMO as we are more experienced.

Corner, Bell and Singleton are back. Plus a couple top subs. Add to that the new recruits and I think we are at least as good or better than last year.

So on Defense I expect us to improve even with the loss of Tuba, Banks and Bowen.

Offense, I think the OL will be better. My reasoning is that two year starter Schmeling didn't come back for his senior year. He probably knew that the RS Frosh KO and Baysinger would eventually take his minutes. Not exactly the way a senior wants to go out. Dedrick is even in a dogfight for playing time.

Our backs should be better. All are back and should be healthy. TE should be at least as good or better than last year. Catlett and Colin Franklin are pretty good.

WR. We will miss Blythe. But Blythe was a poor blocker from what I saw last year. And at times didn't seem to make good fakes and carry out his routes if he wasn't the primary receiver. Maybe because he knew Meyer would never get him the ball because he would still be locked on somebody else. Hamilton was very good last year. Sumrall okay. I think with the newcomers and returning veterans that we will be alright but we will definitely miss Blythe's deep threat and big body. Sedrick Johnson may have even more potential though.

So all in all I look for improvement. I am thinking 6-6 record or possibly 7-5. But I am an optimist.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Didn't Chris Brown hurt his knee? If so, will he be ready for fall?

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by hfour View Post
    Didn't Chris Brown hurt his knee? If so, will he be ready for fall?

I had this question as well. Chris made quite the impact bringing the hammer from the defensive backfield.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The inside of the D line is by far my biggest worry. If we cant shut down the run in the big 12 and against EIU we will be in for another long season.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneryan View Post
    The inside of the D line is by far my biggest worry. If we cant shut down the run in the big 12 and against EIU we will be in for another long season.
    If we shut down the run against the Big 12, we'll make sure the Big 12 isn't able to beat us in a one-dimensional game.

If we shut down the run against EIU, we'll shut down all of Kinnick Stadium.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    If we shut down the run against the Big 12, we'll make sure the Big 12 isn't able to beat us in a one-dimensional game.

If we shut down the run against EIU, we'll shut down all of Kinnick Stadium.
    I don't think Iowa State's going to have any problems shutting down the run against Iowa, considering their starting running back is walk-on Paki O'Meara (I don't know anything about Nate Guillory, and who knows if Shonn Greene will make it to campus).

www.widerightnattylite.com/ - All the news on the team that gives you fits

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 5

DE's will be money... taylor is gonna murder

ALL IN

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 622

Can we exceeed 2.3 yards per punt return that we averaged last year?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.