Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,172
    Given: 1,031

Gotta love the sudden turnaround

Typical post......." Mac has done nothing for this program. Mac sucks. We need to send in our season tickets. Oh? Mac might be getting fired? Well they should let us know about it so we can send him off. He's really been a great guy." Very nice people. With all these nice people "giving him appreciation and a warm send off", Mac might not be able to keep his back to the stands for fear of another knife to the back. I'm sure I will get ripped for this post, but you know what? Bring it on. You got the man fired. Don't try to be gracious now.

Rookie
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Gotta love the sudden turnaround

You have to be crazy to think we got the man fired. I will give you one more chance to post this seasons results vs expectations...and then you can decide for yourself if fans got MAC fired (if he is)

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Typical post......." Mac has done nothing for this program. Mac sucks. We need to send in our season tickets. Oh? Mac might be getting fired? Well they should let us know about it so we can send him off. He's really been a great guy." Very nice people. With all these nice people "giving him appreciation and a warm send off", Mac might not be able to keep his back to the stands for fear of another knife to the back. I'm sure I will get ripped for this post, but you know what? Bring it on. You got the man fired. Don't try to be gracious now.
    You and the lion need to go see the wizard. He might have an extra heart for you!

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

furthermore...have you been to all the home games this year? have you watched the downfall of the program in a matter of 2 months? It is nothing short of amazing how pathetic this football team is right now and the head coach is responsible for making/taking responsibility.

12 years is plenty of time to build a program, and he not winning a Big 12 game yet this year is horrible.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 91

Not a rip, but a think a lot of people think Mac is a generally good guy and most fans recognize that he has run a generally good program. And if he leaves, he will have left the program better than when he came.

On the other hand, the season has been a disaster to put it kindly, and if he gets fired he will have earned it. He is a best good for 5-7 wins a year, with an occassional year better or worse than that. I think after the preseason hype and for the time he has been here people were hoping for a little more...finally...

Bottom line...he may get canned (deservedly), but it is with mixed emotions for many fans

thats my 2 cents, fwiw....

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Typical post? What posts have you been reading?

I don't know about you, but most of the posts acknowledge what he HAS done for the program, but also mention what he HASN'T. That's not "nothing", as you put it. He's done a lot, BUT he hasn't been able to progress much further.

Personally, I do think he deserves a warm good-bye if he resigns or is fired.

Last edited by AirWalke; 11-07-2006 at 06:10 PM.
    Go Sssssssssyclones!

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

There is a big difference between liking someone as a person, and evaluating whether someone is meeting the expectations of the job for which he/she is getting paid to perform.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not talking to 95% of the people on this board. Just a few. Many people have stated their positive and negative opinions about Mac. Many people have given him his due. My point is merely that there are those people out there who will be able to shake Dan McCarney's hand on the way out with a clear conscience, and those who will not. If you think about it, you'll know which category you fall into. There's nothing wrong with complaining passionately about Cyclone sports. Iowa State needs passionate fans.

I agree that this season has been horrible. But the fire McCarney crowd is really a vocal minority. Not a single Cyclone fan is happy about this year. But there are a lot of Mac supporters out there who have not posted much lately because they'll get shouted back down. I also don't think that the fans on message boards single handedly would get him fired. I do think it has an effect, as does mailing in season tickets, or boycotting the last couple games.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

what you need to understand is the loyal longtime cyclone fans that are now calling for MACS head...at the same time are giving respect to MAC. I dont know of any person on this board who is calling for his head and flaming out on him. He has done special things...but the time has come for him (and us) to move on.

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Don't be bitter. He's one of countless football coaches to get fired, and remember, if he had coached at many other schools who demand success every season, he would have been raked over the coals. Mac's been treated extremely well by cyclone fans during his tenure and I wish him the best at his next coaching job.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 610

He was paid well for 51-74.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 1

Do You Go to Games????

....I agree that this season has been horrible. But the fire McCarney crowd is really a vocal minority. Not a single Cyclone fan is happy about this year. But there are a lot of Mac supporters.
    Vocal Minority??? The old saying goes: Actions speak louder than words. I was at the game on Saturday and the mass exodus from the stadium during the game represented much more than a vocal minority. I'd say 20k people leaving at halftime speaks louder than words.

Coaching FB is a results driven profession. A coach can be a great guy, do a lot for his school and bring in quality kids and that isn't going to save his job. Coaches need to win & Mac hasn't done enough of that against his peers- BCS conference schools.

Name me one other university that would have been as patient as ISU with Mac? The last 4 years ISU is 8-22 in Big 12 play. Face the facts- that is grounds for dismissal.

Mac might be a great guy, but he is an average coach at best.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I honestly have no comprehension with this post.

Twelve years at .285 absolves him of responsibility?

It's the fan's fault. That is rich.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Lastplace View Post
    what you need to understand is the loyal longtime cyclone fans that are now calling for MACS head...at the same time are giving respect to MAC. I dont know of any person on this board who is calling for his head and flaming out on him. He has done special things...but the time has come for him (and us) to move on.
    Very well said. As tough as it for people to grasp, the time IS now. And I'm not saying that because I know for sure he's getting fired, but if he were to get fired, it has to be right now. It just has to be.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Do You Go to Games????

Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post

Mac might be a great guy, but he is an average coach at best.
    Here's where my problem lies. Average coach at best? He took a program that flat out sucked, and turned it into a yearly bowl contender. That is not average. At a time when Iowa State needed a guy who was relentlessly positive, with a special personality to drag the team out of the bottom of Division I, he came in and did it. People love to quote his overall record, but if you throw out the rebuilding from scratch years, it has been very respectable.

I'm not nominating Mac for the Hall of Fame, but those little statements like that just drive me nuts. It may even be time for him to go. Maybe the kids are no longer hearing his message. Maybe the fans have heard his familiar sound bytes too much. But he is due the credit that he has earned. Yes, a lot of people give him credit, or say nice things about him, but then they drop that kind of statement in there.