Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

Flooding Updates - 6/12

How are things in Des Moines after the rains last night?

Expecting Cedar River (CR) to raise another 3 feet throughout the day. Parts of Coralville/IC being evacuated due to Iowa River rising another 5 feet by next week.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: Flooding Updates - 6/12

Also, how is Ames doing? I assume OK since there doesn't seem to be any reports.

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Today's Register has a map showing what flooded in '93. If that repeats, my house is safe, but I don't know how I'm going to get to work in Des Moines from Johnston. My first choice is to take Beaver south, but that looks like it was well under water. My second choice is 66th Ave east, but that's already closed. My third choice is Merle Hay south, but that had flooding by 35/80 in '93 too. Guess I'll have to get creative.

We ran some errands last night after work, but traffic was a nightmare. It took at least twice as long to get anywhere. I thought the roads would be clear of traffic, but they were still full of commuters coming home from work. With the roads that are closed, people are funneling onto the ones that are open creating some major traffic jams. Eastbound 35/80 had an accident around 86th St and was down to one lane; I don't even want to know how long the wait was to get through there.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 371

Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Today's Register has a map showing what flooded in '93. If that repeats, my house is safe, but I don't know how I'm going to get to work in Des Moines from Johnston. My first choice is to take Beaver south, but that looks like it was well under water. My second choice is 66th Ave east, but that's already closed. My third choice is Merle Hay south, but that had flooding by 35/80 in '93 too. Guess I'll have to get creative.

We ran some errands last night after work, but traffic was a nightmare. It took at least twice as long to get anywhere. I thought the roads would be clear of traffic, but they were still full of commuters coming home from work. With the roads that are closed, people are funneling onto the ones that are open creating some major traffic jams. Eastbound 35/80 had an accident around 86th St and was down to one lane; I don't even want to know how long the wait was to get through there.

I live just off of 86th in Johnston. What about driving to 141 and taking 80/35 around to 235 to downtown? This is how I go everyday.

I think some are getting a little ahead of themselves. So far CPR has done a pretty good job for his first year. If we win 3 games this year will everyone feel the same way? I hope we go undefeated and CPR has a ton of job offers but I'd like to give him a few years at the helm before I decide how great of coach he is.

8/17/2010-dmclone

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6

Do you happen to have the link?...never mind...I assume it is in the paper only.

Last edited by Palmer; 06-12-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 44

Back in '93 the ONLY way to get out of Johnston at one point (when the Des Moines River flooded, and Beaver Creek had all three other bridges closed) was to take Beaver to the Mile Long bridge, then 106th Ave to 114th St, then get on 141 where the new interchange is now. Let me tell you, it was something else.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,192
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 5

I live in Ankeny and had to take the Hwy 65 bypass to south des moines last night around 7:45 and there was water starting creep up to the south bound lanes. When we came back 30 minutes later the southbound lanes were covered and down to 1 lane going north. It's obviously closed now.

It's amazing how fast the water can rise.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Horrible job out of WHO Radio not to broadcast this morning's press breifing on the latest flood status, but hey, we all know now that I-80 in Eastern Iowa is going to close because that made their top of the hour newscast. Sometimes I really wonder if WHO forgets if they know the city they are licensed to broadcast from.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

Here in Waterloo the Cedar has dropped about 5 feet and is back to the "old" flood record of 21 feet. It's supposed to come back up with recent rains but hopefully not back to the most recent levels.

There's still only 1 bridge out of 6 or 7 that is open for traffic. The west side of the down town is flooded due to water backing up the storm sewers which is nearly as bad as the levee beaking. The East side is still dry as far as I know.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Do you work downtown? If so I live in Beaverdale just east of Beaver, Ave. I take MLK to Carpenter which turns into Keo when you cross 19th and takes you right downtown. No flooding on that route if you can make it down Beaver to Douglas but at the intersection of MLK and Euclid/Douglas it is closed past there because water is creeping over the road near the river. Hoping that does not come any farther west else I will have to find another way myself.

Go Cubs Go!

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to figure out how to get anywhere since they evacuated the building I work in downtown.... Good to luck to all that have to drive to work!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

I got evacuated yesterday, volintary but with a 17 month old didn't want to take any chances. Lucky for us that my in-laws live a couple miles away.

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I live just off of 86th in Johnston. What about driving to 141 and taking 80/35 around to 235 to downtown? This is how I go everyday.
    I'm on the east side of Johnston, and I have to go north of downtown. Taking Beaver to MLK is almost a straight shot for me, about 5 mi and 15 min. Beaver just closed this morning about 35/80, so I'm down to Merle Hay. If Merle Hay closes, I guess I have to go to 86th as long as 66th and/or 70th ave are open. All of this is little more than an annoyance; it means a 15 min commute might take 30-45 min. As long as I keep my utilities, I know I'll have it better than a lot of people in Iowa, and I'm thankful for that.

If I have to go north to the mile long bridge, though, this is going to become a nightmare commute. Oh, and I just found out my 2-year-old fell off the playground equipment and broke his leg this morning.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Oh, and I just found out my 2-year-old fell off the playground equipment and broke his leg this morning.
    That stinks! What bone did he break?

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Army Corps Of Engineers expecting crest at Saylorville tomorrow, and crest in DM on Saturday.

Saylorville crest: 891.2 Feet.

Better hope it doesn't rain anymore.