Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Thrift: A lost virtue?

Op-Ed Columnist - David Brooks - The Great Seduction by Debt - Op-Ed - NYTimes.com

David Brooks on American debt - how we got here, what we might do to remedy the situation etc. Discuss

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 0

Re: Thrift: A lost virtue?

A Nation In Debt - Barbara Dafoe Whitehead - The American Interest Magazine

Whitehead article referenced in there. I agree with the sentiment completely as well.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Thrift: A lost virtue?

Frankly, this should be no surprise to anyone who has read my posts, that I really enjoyed the sentiments shown in this Op-Ed piece. I'm kind of surprised it hit the NY Times, but good on them for publishing a "non-sky is falling" piece like this.

I think one of the biggest misunderstandings about thrift and wealth, is the idea that one needs to have a high income to save and invest.

In 1998, I had a car accident that left me unable to work at my relatively high-paying job. We lost our house, and had to move back to Iowa from Chicago, and were forced to live frugally, on subsistence wages, until 2003. On a very modest income, we were able to save around $500 to $700 a month.

One of the things we did, was clean people's (usually very expensive) houses. Many of the people we worked for were one paycheck away from financial disaster, and a couple of our customers "stiffed us" by going bankrupt.

But what really ticked me off at the time, were some of the self-proclaimed "poor" people, who would gripe and moan about how hard they had it and blamed "the rich", when they easily made twice as much money as we did.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details