Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 144
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 49,718, Level: 68
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    isukendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    1,876
    Points
    49,718
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 138

    Flooding & T-Storm Updates for 6/11

    The NOAA just updated the QPF (Quantitative Precipitation Forecast)

    http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/fill_94qwbg.gif

    This is for the next 24 hours starting 7 am Wednesday. If it holds true, it will make things tougher for Saylorville.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 25,085, Level: 48
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    MidwestZest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Decatur, IL
    Posts
    2,005
    Points
    25,085
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 26

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    Parts of the national guard have been tasked for flood duty - about 15 members of my 55 strong unit have headed off to various places. My brother left last night, another group leaving this morning.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 73,701, Level: 84
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,149
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Posts
    6,211
    Points
    73,701
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    Last night between 1 and 2 am a wall on the cedar river was breached downtown. And Cedar Rapids had to evacuate about 75 homes. Sounds like the water will go over the levies in cedar falls.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,522, Level: 78
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonesrule91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waukee
    Posts
    4,953
    Points
    64,522
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 134

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    The NOAA just updated the QPF (Quantitative Precipitation Forecast)

    http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/fill_94qwbg.gif

    This is for the next 24 hours starting 7 am Wednesday. If it holds true, it will make things tougher for Saylorville.
    That looks bette then the map Ed Wilson on TV13 was showing last night. Hopefully it keeps going down as last night the maps were showing 4.58" of rain North of Ames / Boone area. Still not good but better anyway.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 136,722, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyrevkah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,332
    Points
    136,722
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 906

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    I just saw the news report about Waterloo and Cedar Rapids! That's a lot of damage.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 136,722, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyrevkah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,332
    Points
    136,722
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 906

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestZest View Post
    Parts of the national guard have been tasked for flood duty - about 15 members of my 55 strong unit have headed off to various places. My brother left last night, another group leaving this morning.

    Go Guard!! My husband has stories about the '93 flood.

    Thanks for doing that



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 451,249, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,812
    Points
    451,249
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 43

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    The NOAA just updated the QPF (Quantitative Precipitation Forecast)

    http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/fill_94qwbg.gif

    This is for the next 24 hours starting 7 am Wednesday. If it holds true, it will make things tougher for Saylorville.
    OMG, that moved way west right into the DSM river valley.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 465,893, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,240
    Points
    465,893
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 470
    Given: 139

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    That looks bette then the map Ed Wilson on TV13 was showing last night. Hopefully it keeps going down as last night the maps were showing 4.58" of rain North of Ames / Boone area. Still not good but better anyway.
    That's definitely better than the map we saw last night. Looks the heaviest rain is in Omaha, where they can handle it. Hopefully our precipitation totals are scattered through the day, as opposed to one big downpour.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 405,320, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,426
    Points
    405,320
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 782
    Given: 504

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    Omaha expects severe weather again today of 2-4 inches of rain with 30 to 40 mph winds. The Cyclone Tailgate Tour at Oakview mall today at 5-7:30 is going to be a major problem to keep from being blown away.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 405,320, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,426
    Points
    405,320
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 782
    Given: 504

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    We had a big controversery in Omaha. Sirens did not go off till 10 minutes after the tornados hit Millard and Gretna areas. Apparently a small system was tracked out of Lincoln area and it quickly formed two tornados when a sudden downdraft occurred at 204th and Q (EF1 at 2:10) and at 156th and Giles (EF2 at 2:12) and went to merge at L and 114th St (2:20). The two tornados travelled 4-6 miles eastward at 60 mph and seven minuts. Only TV one station had a meterorologist (McWilliams made a command decision to keep staff) left to go on air. Another station had loaned their Jim Flowers out at 2:30-3:15 to KFAB radio. The wind hit, the tornados formed, the power went out, (2:18). the sirens belatedly went off too late (2:29). People had no power for TV or radio, no siren warnings and stumbled to their basements in the dark. At least 10 houses were destroyed, Walmart had a hole in the roof, grainery collapsed, car wash and other buildings destroyed, etc. Apparently the tornados formed in four minutes at west Omaha and ran for seven minutes, the radar took five minutes to do a sweep, the radar had one indication of tornado before it was over, the sirens were never sounded in time. Some people said their dogs woke them up and they ran downstairs.

    I write this as a warning that you cannot depend on the Weather Service all the time even in a metro area since radar took 5 minutes to do a sweep.

    Depend on your own instincts and take shelter before Jim Flowers meteorlogic cherub face appears on TV to tell you to go to the basement.


    Last edited by Wesley; 06-11-2008 at 09:18 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 108,092, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,562
    Points
    108,092
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 179

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    You need Mega Doppler's 3 million watts of POWER!!!
    All kidding aside, that sounds like a very serious situation. Were there injuries or fatalities?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    We had a big controversery in Omaha. Sirens did not go off till 10 minutes after the tornados hit Millard and Gretna areas. Apparently a small system was tracked out of Lincoln area and it quickly formed two tornados when a sudden downdraft occurred at 204th and Q (EF1 at 2:10) and at 156th and Giles (EF2 at 2:12) and went to merge at L and 114th St (2:20). The two tornados travelled 4-6 miles eastward at 60 mph and seven minuts. Only TV one station had a meterorologist (McWilliams made a command decision to keep staff) left to go on air. Another station had loaned their Jim Flowers out at 2:30-3:15 to KFAB radio. The wind hit, the tornados formed, the power went out, (2:18). the sirens belatedly went off too late (2:29). People had no power for TV or radio, no siren warnings and stumbled to their basements in the dark. At least 10 houses were destroyed, Walmart had a hole in the roof, grainery collapsed, car wash and other buildings destroyed, etc. Apparently the tornados formed in four minutes at west Omaha and ran for seven minutes, the radar took five minutes to do a sweep, the radar had one indication of tornado before it was over, the sirens were never sounded in time. Some people said their dogs woke them up and they ran downstairs.

    I write this as a warning that you cannot depend on the Weather Service all the time even in a metro area since radar took 5 minutes to do a sweep.

    Depend on your own instincts and take shelter before Jim Flowers meteorlogic cherub face appears on TV to tell you to go to the basement.


    Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 340,528, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,185
    Points
    340,528
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 405
    Given: 255

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    Got a lengthy e-mail from my mom at 3am. She works for Norwood in CR. Their building is very close to the river - they've been working non-stop to sandbag, relocate important items, etc. From her e-mail...

    Flood stage for the river is 12 feet. Currently, we are over 19 and it is estimated to reach a 157 year high of over 22 feet. Yesterday was a new experience as well. Bagging 42 tons of sand and all the amazing prep to save the building or at least try to for the flood.

    We had so many people helping with the efforts and a couple people left at 2:00 am that were finishing important orders and moving stock upward. Around 3:30 am we will make a determination of staying open for Thursday when my boss the GM arrives. It is unbelievable the details……..wow. That shockingly has been one of my tasks, keeping track of it all.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 405,320, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,426
    Points
    405,320
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 782
    Given: 504

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    Luckily there were just some injuries and no fatalities.

    If you think a bad storm is coming, just err on the safe side. That was the lesson for Omaha.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 405,320, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,426
    Points
    405,320
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 782
    Given: 504

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Got a lengthy e-mail from my mom at 3am. She works for Norwood in CR. Their building is very close to the river - they've been working non-stop to sandbag, relocate important items, etc. From her e-mail...

    Sounds like the best hope is for levees to break upstream of CR in order to lesson the flow. The levees are justified by the value of the property behind them - a larger metro area can justify a higher levee. Ag levees are designed to fail first to relieve pressure.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  15. #15
    Rookie
    Points: 11,055, Level: 31
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    399
    Points
    11,055
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Flooding Updates for 6/11

    I went to downtown Des Moines this morning and checked the level of the river. Right now, the water is not over the bridges and no water is in downtown. While driving home I heard the public works director say that he is confident the levees will hold with the current amount of water coming down from Saylorville, that includes the water released last night. He also said that if 2-3 inches of rain fall anywhere in the Des Moines river valley then he will "have serious concerns". I take that to mean water would be over the levee system in some areas.

    He said that the water supply is really in no danger at this time or with any significant amount of rainfall.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM