Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Veganism

A girl of 12 brought up by her parents on a strict vegan diet has been admitted to hospital with a degenerative bone condition said to have left her with the spine of an 80-year-old.

Doctors are under pressure to report the couple, from Glasgow, to police and social workers amid concerns her health and welfare may have been neglected in pursuit of their beliefs.

The youngster, fed on a strict meat- and dairy-free diet from birth, is being treated at the city’s Royal Hospital for Sick Children. She is said to have a severe form of rickets and to have suffered a number of fractured bones. The condition is caused by a lack of vitamin D, which is needed to absorb calcium and is found in liver, oily fish and dairy produce.

Dr Faisal Ahmed, the consultant treating the child, said he believed the dangers of forcing children to follow a strict vegan diet needed to be highlighted.

In 2001, British vegans Hazmik and Garabet Manuelyan, from Staines, were sentenced to three years’ community rehabilitation after they admitted starving daughter Arenai, 10 months, to death. She had been fed nothing but breast milk, raw fruit, vegetables and nuts.

Link:
    Vegan girl, 12, 'has spine of 80-year-old' - Times Online

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 58

Re: Veganism

Humans are omnivores.....not herbivores.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,624
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 133

They were right

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k6C-Yo362U&feature=related]YouTube - Boy In The Mirror - Milk Commercial[/ame]

#BEATIOWA

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

I have developed very little patience with "counter-culture" people any more.

If you want to be a complete freak, fine. Just don't impose your idiotic, freakish behavior on the rest of us, or your poor kids.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post

If you want to be a complete freak, fine. Just don't impose your idiotic, freakish behavior on the rest of us, or your poor kids.
    Dude, just because this couple were complete idiots, don't distrust those who choose to eat a vegan diet. You can get a full complement of vitamins & minerals without eating animal byproducts.

This is a similar situation as Christian Scientists who don't take their kids to the doctor, or the kids in Texas at the Mormon compound. Just because some Christian Scientists & Mormons impose their unhealthy beliefs on their kids doesn't make all members of those groups evil.

Edit: Actually, this is almost exactly the same as parents who feed their kids a terrible diet and subsequently their kids develop Type II Diabetes.

Last edited by sdillon500; 06-11-2008 at 03:34 AM.
    www.widerightnattylite.com/ - All the news on the team that gives you fits

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by sdillon500 View Post
    Dude, just because this couple were complete idiots, don't distrust those who choose to eat a vegan diet. You can get a full complement of vitamins & minerals without eating animal byproducts.
    Actually, I feel contempt for those so morally deranged that they extend "rights" past their own species. I think they are completely divorced from reality and a bunch of wimps, actually.

My cat has the good sense to understand that the rat she dragged up this morning is her "food". She couldn't care less how much it suffers, as long as she gets to eat it, or gets to offer it for us to eat. (Sometimes, she wounds a mouse so she can play with it until "the batteries run out") I admire her clarity and sense of purpose. I just consider Vegans to be not as smart as my cat.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Actually, I feel contempt for those so morally deranged that they extend "rights" past their own species. I think they are completely divorced from reality and a bunch of wimps, actually.

My cat has the good sense to understand that the rat she dragged up this morning is her "food". She couldn't care less how much it suffers, as long as she gets to eat it, or gets to offer it for us to eat. (Sometimes, she wounds a mouse so she can play with it until "the batteries run out") I admire her clarity and sense of purpose. I just consider Vegans to be not as smart as my cat.
    So its cool to torture puppies? If you decided to hang your cat from its back feet and shoot it with a bb gun until it died you wouldn't be a bit morally depraved?

Seneca Wallace.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 456
    Given: 397

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    So its cool to torture puppies? If you decided to hang your cat from its back feet and shoot it with a bb gun until it died you wouldn't be a bit morally depraved?
    An orange, because a vest has no sleeves.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

I think that such actions would say more about the stability of the person than the "humanity" of the animal. I also think that is why many people are concerned about people who enjoy video games like Grand Theft Auto.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

Unless you take special supplements over the years, a vegan regimen is not sufficient. Some nutirnets/chemicals/body builders do not come in vegan diets. That is just the way it is.

Suppose we could also get into old blood type discussions where some blood types demand more protein than other types. For instance, Type B should have more protein/meat than other blood types. You are somewhat dependent on your gentic makeup. Just because you want to be vegan may not always be the best choice.

Hey, Nebraska and Iowa are big meat producing states - take advantage of it sometimes in between storms.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 41

Being a vegan is a personal choice that a person makes for him or herself after weighing the pros and cons of such a lifestyle, including vitamin deficiency. I know a few vegans and they all take supplements to ensure that they are getting the proper nutrition they would otherwise miss by not ingesting meat or dairy products.

The mistake that the parents made, IMO, was not offering their child a choice in their diet. They did not impose a vegan diet on their child because the child had dietary restrictions, such as someone who is lactose intolerant or wheat gluten intolerant. They imposed the diet on the child because they imposed their own beliefs onto the child. If the parents became vegans at some point in their lives, someone else in their family must have said, "You know what, I respect your decision to be a vegan." The parents did not offer their child the same courtesy of choosing to be a vegan or not.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    An orange, because a vest has no sleeves.
    You, sir, are a genius. How did you know that was the correct answer???

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mclatch View Post
    I think that such actions would say more about the stability of the person than the "humanity" of the animal. I also think that is why many people are concerned about people who enjoy video games like Grand Theft Auto.
    Right on, brother!!!!

To equate "eating meat" with "torturing animals" is quite a leap.

To equate "playing a violent video game" with "committing violence", ehhh, not so much of a leap.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 41

To equate "playing a violent video game" with "committing violence", ehhh, not so much of a leap.
    Actually, that is still quite a leap. I absolutely hate it when people try to associate committing violence with playing violent video games. From personal experience, my friends and I have played violent video games since were quite young, and we have nary a violent streak in us.

Yes, there have been incidents of some individuals engaging in violent behavior that closely mirrors actions from games such as GTA. But how many thousands of kids (and adults, I might add) play GTA and the like, but don't act violent? Correlation does not mean causation, and people use it as a political tool. People act violently for a lot of reasons; playing violent video games is very low on that list.