Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,062
    Given: 561

The power of momentum

One thing that has been talked about very little on this board is momentum. I've seen many good teams go down the crapper after one or two hard losses or bad breaks. I've also seen some bad teams have a great season after catching a break or pulling out a close game. The players start (or stop) believing in themselves, and the whole season changes. I really believe that this football team has a lot of talent on the field, and that it could have been a completely different season if they had somehow pulled out the Iowa or Nebraska game. But they didn't, and it wasn't. and just so noone has to point it out......I know that coaching has something to do with momentum and getting a team to rebound, blah blah blah.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: The power of momentum

This is a HORRIBLE tackling team, and a HORRIBLE blocking team. Those are the two things that any coach, heck any fan, will tell you are the leys to victory. And the HC said on his radio call in show, that he sepends on the HIGH SCHOOL coaches to handle that for him.

The HC has NEVER pulled an upset of a good team. The HC has continually lost games where he had the better team. The HC has RARELY won when the talent level was even.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 321

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    This is a HORRIBLE tackling team, and a HORRIBLE blocking team. Those are the two things that any coach, heck any fan, will tell you are the leys to victory. And the HC said on his radio call in show, that he sepends on the HIGH SCHOOL coaches to handle that for him.

The HC has NEVER pulled an upset of a good team. The HC has continually lost games where he had the better team. The HC has RARELY won when the talent level was even.
    umm... i'm gonna guess that the iowa games of last year and 2002 were upsets of a good team. 2002 iowa finished 11-2, 8th in the country, and last year they had better talent (but not necessarily better coaching- at this point i'm no longer convinced ferret-face is a better coach than mac)

the win over baylor in 1997 was an upset of a team better than us (considering we were the worst team in d-1 that year and had the nation's longest losing streak) - i was at that game, and yes, it's sad to call a win vs. baylor a huge upset, but if you were at that game you'd know what i mean...

the 2004 win over nebraska was an upset of a team better than us, considering we were expected to finish dead last in the big xii that year

i'm also assuming that the 2000 victory over colorado was pretty big win, considering we never beat them at the time.

now, this isn't a post trying to argue for mac's continuance at isu, but at least give him some credit where it's due. there have been some pretty big wins over the last 10 years.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 258

And this year it was over a better UNI team according to Sagarin.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    And this year it was over a better UNI team according to Sagarin.
    come on, i'm not giving him THAT MUCH credit...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post

although i will agree, the fact that he depends on high schools to teach the basics like tackling, blocking, and receiving shows he's not commited to focusing on the basics. when i heard that a couple weeks ago i about crapped my pants. come to think of it, THAT might have been my breaking point...

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 139

Here's my 2 cents worth...

Momentum can be carried from game to game but only so far. That momentum can be easily overturned with a good series or play in the current game at hand. You may be in a bad momentum swing for a couple of games but you can snap out of it with a good drive.

Similarly, when a team like Iowa says they overlooked a crappy Northwestern team, that doesn't explain why they didn't start to play better as the game went on. You can go into a game not playing your hardest but you should be able to snap into it by the second half if you really are the better team on that given Saturday. Obviously this isn't always the case since there are so many upsets but nonetheless a "good" team "should" be able to get themselves righted during the course of the game.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Here's my 2 cents worth...

Momentum can be carried from game to game but only so far. That momentum can be easily overturned with a good series or play in the current game at hand. You may be in a bad momentum swing for a couple of games but you can snap out of it with a good drive.

Similarly, when a team like Iowa says they overlooked a crappy Northwestern team, that doesn't explain why they didn't start to play better as the game went on. You can go into a game not playing your hardest but you should be able to snap into it by the second half if you really are the better team on that given Saturday. Obviously this isn't always the case since there are so many upsets but nonetheless a "good" team "should" be able to get themselves righted during the course of the game.
    my problem with your iowa argument here - i never thought they were the team that the fansand the media thought they were this year. for like the 4th straight year iowa is one of the most overrated teams in the nation.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    my problem with your iowa argument here - i never thought they were the team that the fansand the media thought they were this year. for like the 4th straight year iowa is one of the most overrated teams in the nation.
    Ohh, I completely agree that they are extremely over rated. I think the Iowa fans really expected to be in the top 5 by the end of the season and they weren't ready to believe they weren't even top 25 material. They just aren't well built to compete week in and week out this year with the big boys. They have some talents like Douglas, but they don't have a complete roster to upset anybody to speak of. I think we have more talented skill positions this year than they do but they have a more solid all around team to offset that enough to be an average team, wheras we obviously don't.

They probably didn't think Northwestern would matchup with them but I don't think they were good enough to offset the momentum swing NW had when they finally realized they were in trouble. Iowa's average this year and unfortunately we aren't. Hopefully that "momentum" doesn't carry over to next season

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Ohh, I completely agree that they are extremely over rated. I think the Iowa fans really expected to be in the top 5 by the end of the season and they weren't ready to believe they weren't even top 25 material. They just aren't well built to compete week in and week out this year with the big boys. They have some talents like Douglas, but they don't have a complete roster to upset anybody to speak of. I think we have more talented skill positions this year than they do but they have a more solid all around team to offset that enough to be an average team, wheras we obviously don't.

They probably didn't think Northwestern would matchup with them but I don't think they were good enough to offset the momentum swing NW had when they finally realized they were in trouble. Iowa's average this year and unfortunately we aren't. Hopefully that "momentum" doesn't carry over to next season
    just begs the question - what happened to that #2 national recruiting class that iowa fans were drooling over? looks just as overrated as the media rates iowa teams year in and year out

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think Iowa might be another good example of this. Going into the Ohio State game, they were all jacked up and that was "the game". Then it came and they got their heads kicked in. They haven't been the same since. Sure, they weren't as good as some of their fans were saying, but at the same time, they weren't bad enough to lose to Northwestern and Indiana.

I think really solid teams have a better chance of overcoming or avoiding a slide after they have a setback than the marginal teams. I honestly think that having a player or players who is a solid team leader (like Ellis Hobbs) helps turn things around more than a coach could. After seeing Blythe during the Nebraska game, I thought he might be the one. Hopefully he brings more of that next year as a senior.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I think Iowa might be another good example of this. Going into the Ohio State game, they were all jacked up and that was "the game". Then it came and they got their heads kicked in. They haven't been the same since. Sure, they weren't as good as some of their fans were saying, but at the same time, they weren't bad enough to lose to Northwestern and Indiana.

I think really solid teams have a better chance of overcoming or avoiding a slide after they have a setback than the marginal teams. I honestly think that having a player or players who is a solid team leader (like Ellis Hobbs) helps turn things around more than a coach could. After seeing Blythe during the Nebraska game, I thought he might be the one. Hopefully he brings more of that next year as a senior.
    but they were almost bad enough to lose to us...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    but they were almost bad enough to lose to us...
    You could say that in hindsight, but here's my point. Say ISU continues their first half play into the second half, and they beat Iowa. Now they are 3-0 and on a high. The first two mediocre performances are probably forgotten after a big win. They probably still lose to Texas, but that is only one game, and who counted that as a W anyway? They go into the Nebraska game with more confidence. That was a fairly close game anyway, and confidence could be enough to pull it out. Now everyone is jacked up, the team is 4-1. They beat UNI and they are 5-1. They drop one to Oklahoma on the road and go into Texas Tech at 5-2. Assuming they lose that one, they are still 5-3 with one game to become bowl eligible and Kansas St. and Kansas coming up. A confident team wins those two and they are sitting at 7-3 with a winnable Colorado game coming up followed by a tough but winnable Missouri game. At least that is how it could have gone.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 258

The Iowa game turned when the Clone offense collapsed.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.