Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Events ruined by cell phones

    I am linking an article that claims that cell phones and blackberries ruin concerts.

    "There's definitely a problem where people are so busy documenting the moment that they forget to just live in the moment."

    Link:
    Are cellphones ruining the concert experience? | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Columnist Thor Christensen | Music Critic | Dallas Morning News


    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    Oooh, I have lived this dream. Believe it or not, their are egocentric idiots who will actually carry on a full-voice phone conversation during an orchestra recital.

    Being a testosterone-filled caveman, (who enjoys classical music, btw) I nearly had to be restrained from shoving said phone up an orifice....


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  3. #3
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    I had a student's phone go off in the middle of my brilliant lesson plan. Boy, I didn't like that one.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 79,895, Level: 87
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RyCy04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,369
    Points
    79,895
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 15

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    I golfed with my brother this weekend. He doesn't golf much, is from a rural area, so I was cutting him some slack. But I almost wanted to wrap a club around his head when A) He left the ringer on while we were golfing and B) Answered the phone and had an unnecessary, non-whispering, chatty conversation with some guy while people are trying to swing.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 18,636, Level: 41
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    TxCycloneFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bastrop TX
    Posts
    1,483
    Points
    18,636
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Oooh, I have lived this dream. Believe it or not, their are egocentric idiots who will actually carry on a full-voice phone conversation during an orchestra recital.

    Being a testosterone-filled caveman, (who enjoys classical music, btw) I nearly had to be restrained from shoving said phone up an orifice....

    I would not have restrained you, in fact I would have helped you!!


    Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 387,504, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,979
    Points
    387,504
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 737
    Given: 557

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    "There's definitely a problem where people are so busy documenting the moment that they forget to just live in the moment."

    Sums it up for me. People are forgetting to live things. Use their natural senses, etc.

    My wife and I talked about this the other day. What would happen if this country lost use of technology. It would be extremely scary for decades. Think about it, no electricity (no lights at night), no cars, no air con, computers, cell phones, etc. There are those of us who would probably be ok, but we would be trampled by those who panic.

    I hate cell phones with a passion and Im a tech nut. They have really separated us from reality and true human communication.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 220,036, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,455
    Points
    220,036
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 425

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    The last Pink Floyd concert I was at I probably could not even get the cell phone out of my pocket. Let alone take a picture. Needless to say I did some things that night that I had not done since high school. I would do it all over again to.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 108,106, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,563
    Points
    108,106
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 180

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    Several years ago as a soloist with the Wartburg choir, I had just got done doing a piece on Good Friday at a church in Chicago. Very solemn song at the end of the concert, lights were off. The only sound you heard were sniffles of people reflecting on the moment, and the audience was preparing to exit in silence. Then.....RINGGGGGG!
    If that wasn't bad enough, then you hear "Hey, I'm in church I'll call you back," In full voice.


    Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 95,319, Level: 96
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,698
    Points
    95,319
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    The sad thing is now before weddings and some church services they ask everyone to turn off or silence their phones. I've seen phones go off both at a wedding and in the middle of a church service. It's just 1 hour out of your day people, if it's that important then don't attend whatever it is that you have to have your cell phone on for.


    Go Cubs Go!

  10. #10
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 11,323, Level: 32
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyberclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    311
    Points
    11,323
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    Quote Originally Posted by RyCy04 View Post
    I golfed with my brother this weekend. He doesn't golf much, is from a rural area, so I was cutting him some slack. But I almost wanted to wrap a club around his head when A) He left the ringer on while we were golfing and B) Answered the phone and had an unnecessary, non-whispering, chatty conversation with some guy while people are trying to swing.
    What does being from a rural area, have to do with it? Just curious.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 79,895, Level: 87
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RyCy04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,369
    Points
    79,895
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 15

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberclone View Post
    What does being from a rural area, have to do with it? Just curious.
    I was trying to politely say that he is kind of a hick.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,832, Level: 63
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    HandSanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Central US
    Posts
    3,689
    Points
    41,832
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 1

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    The sad thing is now before weddings and some church services they ask everyone to turn off or silence their phones. I've seen phones go off both at a wedding and in the middle of a church service. It's just 1 hour out of your day people, if it's that important then don't attend whatever it is that you have to have your cell phone on for.

    Exactly....

    Here is some of the top places I can't stand people with cell phones.

    1. Funerals. (actually had the pastor tell someone to get out because their phone rang 2 times)

    2. Church
    3. Weddings
    4. Meetings (put it on vibrate and let it go or leave the room)
    5. Elevator (nothing worse than someone screaming on the elevator and they are 2 feet from you in a box)
    6. Some sorty of quiet concert/ movie/ theatre type setting.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 876,873, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,222
    Points
    876,873
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,640
    Given: 2,136

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    Exactly....

    Here is some of the top places I can't stand people with cell phones.

    1. Funerals. (actually had the pastor tell someone to get out because their phone rang 2 times)

    2. Church
    3. Weddings
    4. Meetings (put it on vibrate and let it go or leave the room)
    5. Elevator (nothing worse than someone screaming on the elevator and they are 2 feet from you in a box)
    6. Some sorty of quiet concert/ movie/ theatre type setting.
    My list would include a few more places, but it's a lot shorter:
    1. Anywhere outdoors.
    2. Anywhere indoors.

    Unless you have to use it for your job, feel free to put that phone away.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 136,942, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyrevkah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,365
    Points
    136,942
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 951

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    My list would include a few more places, but it's a lot shorter:
    1. Anywhere outdoors.
    2. Anywhere indoors.

    Unless you have to use it for your job, feel free to put that phone away.


    You just do not like any phone.

    (maybe working 3rd shift is why)



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Events ruined by cell phones

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrevkah View Post


    You just do not like any phone.

    (maybe working 3rd shift is why)
    I get the same from my wife. She forces me to carry a cell phone, "just in case", but I steadfastly "forget" to charge it with minutes.

    It's small enough to make a handy pocket-watch, though....


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM